My 2016 Diary of impulse control and staying on a strict budget.

Options
StressedSteph
StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 December 2015 at 2:09PM in Debt free diaries
Morning Diary.

This is my new diary for 2016.

This is my third year of debt busting, starting in January 2014 with just over 20k of debt built up by nothing more than just not being on a budget and overspending every month.

2014 was a successful year killing off about 9k of debt.
2015 was alot less successful with around only 3k of debt busted, it was a year full of less intensity, husband having a hospital trip and just not totally having the budget under control.

Now it is nearly 2016 and I am super annoyed that I am not yet debt free

I have about 8.5k left to kill and 2016 is THE year.

Here is the link to my old diary

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69806720&posted=1#post69806720

I am currently using "You Need A Budget" and listening often to Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps.

Comments

• Doris17
    Doris17 Posts: 667 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.

"Make Everyday Count"

#77 3-6 Months Emergency Fund £2528.11/£5000

• StressedSteph
    StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2015 at 2:27PM
    Options
    30 December

I have been spending all morning setting up a new YNAB budget.

I am still unsure of the best way to set it up being weekly paid and I do feel like I am over complicating it.

I will more than likely change it again in a few weeks.

First impressions look like we have a big lack of income problem.

I think I am going to have to find some way for me to earn some consistent extra money.

for anyone who hasn't read my old diary here is some info on my life.

Hubby is a self employed builder, I am mainly a Stay at home mum but doing lots of enterprises that sometimes make money, sometimes don't.

We live on a smallholding in Dorset, rearing our own animals for the freezer and trying my best to grow vegetable from a much too big veg plot on the farm.

I REALLY could do with a full-time job as we struggle to make ends meet but with no family to speak of I have no support for helping with the children during holidays and sickness.

Looking at our sick looking budget this morning I REALLY need to figure out a way to earn some decent money otherwise we will never kill of this debt.

xxx
  • muppets
    muppets Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Subscribed. x
    PAYDBX 2020 - #01 Pd £15,029.29 / £13,140.66 - 114% 🎉

MFiT-T5 #36
    3-6 mth EF #5
    €2,445 / 11,100
    Mortgage - PD 126,846.35/ 271,495.07 46.72%[ MF was Aug 2038 now Sept 2035 😲
  • StressedSteph
    Options
    Doris17 wrote: »
    Good luck on your journey.

Thank you so much Doris.
  • StressedSteph
    Options
    muppets wrote: »
    Subscribed. x

Thank you Muppets x
  • Lou85
    Lou85 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck, this is really interesting. I'll have a look at your old diary as soon as I can. It definitely helps having a public accountability form so I think you will do well this year. Last year had unforeseen things happen so hopefully it will be different this year.

Can you sign up to do some temp work? That way you can pick up a day or two whenever is convenient for you? There's no pressure to do any shifts?
    #27 £2016 in 2016 = £763.61

#42 £2 Savers Club = £160

*Savers Club not included in overall 2016 savings until the tin is opened and my estimates have been confirmed later in the year.
  • clearmydebts
    Options
    Subscribed x

I think 2016 will be your year Steph!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • Abz12
    Abz12 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck. Subscribed
    Total debt when starting Sept 2021 - £14,629.61 / Current debt - £13,398.73
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    :wave: Steph

Glad to see you back:T

I have also subscribed - here's to a year of positives :beer:.

I have also lost my way in November and December - I need YNAB to keep me on track. I am just entering all spends for Dec and then getting my budget ready for January!!
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    I REALLY could do with a full-time job as we struggle to make ends meet but with no family to speak of I have no support for helping with the children during holidays and sickness.

Looking at our sick looking budget this morning I REALLY need to figure out a way to earn some decent money otherwise we will never kill of this debt.

xxx

Is there quasi-full time work available to you? e.g. could you get a full-time job but negotiate a lower salary for more-than-standard PTO (or the flip-side: regular salary/PTO time but extra unpaid days off as required)? That would let you work full-time when the kids are in school but give you flexibility to stay home when needed.

Seems a shame to give up the income possibility for the majority of the year when you could work (assuming 4mos of holiday/sick time - 5 of those ~16 weeks are standard PTO for full-time work anyway, so it's just working out the other 11 weeks).

Good luck with the new diary! And with sorting out YNAB - I keep trying to streamline our budget, and we only have the two regular paycheques.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure