We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I return a voucher I was sent by accident?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I was recently accepted for a bank account that offered a voucher as a joining incentive. They've sent me two by accident - should I notify the bank or spend them both and hope it doesn't notice?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Comments

• POLAR_BILL
    POLAR_BILL Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely spend them both! The bank will get enough out of you for your time with them. Don't feel guilty unless you are planning to move on straight away to another bank with an incentive.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It depends how keen you are on a conviction for theft and a criminal record, I suppose.

Check out the Theft Act 1968 and the definition of 'appropriates' in S3.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    LOL @ "conviction for theft" - get real.
    I would keep / use them both. It will make little to no odds to the bank.

If it bothers you why not start by phoning their Customer Service number and telling them? I think there's a chance they'll just say "Thanks for being honest and just keep them both (rather than presumably paying to return one by post)"
  • lazarou_true
    lazarou_true Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    Don't spend it, I was in exactly this situation with M&S bank recently and they'll just cancel the card sent in error. I hadn't already spent mine luckily.
  • sdc2015
    Options
    I agree that if you call customer services they may well thank you and let you keep them.

If not, don't just spend it. Is it really worth compromising your integrity for?
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    It depends how keen you are on a conviction for theft and a criminal record, I suppose.

Check out the Theft Act 1968 and the definition of 'appropriates' in S3.

Really? A criminal conviction for theft? Do you have any links to similar cases?
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sdc2015 wrote: »
    If not, don't just spend it. Is it really worth compromising your integrity for?

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about it. And I think 99% of the population wouldn't either, no matter what is said on here.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Really? A criminal conviction for theft? Do you have any links to similar cases?
    No - but I haven't looked. I'm just stating the legal position should it come to that.

Chances are, of course, that the bank wouldn't spot it, let alone report it to the police, but the legal position's quite clear.

I wouldn't want to risk my reputation, but some might.
  • jaguk
    jaguk Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We all blame the bankers for putting the country in the state its in today ( those high up not in the branches ) and rightly so.
    Spending both vouchers would put you in the same bracket as those bankers, except in reverse. If you think that's a good thing then keep them both - and become a very big hypocrite.
  • heather_p03
    heather_p03 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    sdc2015 wrote: »
    I agree that if you call customer services they may well thank you and let you keep them.

This is what I would do too.
    Contact the Bank to let them know.
    A couple of times we have had a duplicate delivery from Amazon and they have always said that we should keep the extra product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport