PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Chain broken down after exchange

Options
Jaff.
Jaff. Posts: 33 Forumite
edited 13 June 2013 at 8:40PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi, copied from the other big thread...

Basically a chain of 3 has exchanged contracts, I'm a FTB buying a house from an elderly couple. They are buying off another couple, that couple are moving into an empty house.

The second non elderly couple have found out inbetween exchange and completion (29th of may) that the wife has cancer and has been given 2 months to live. They're refusing to move.

My solicitor advised against forcing them to move out as a judge would likely side with sympathy and the ill wife. I've since waited the 10 days (finished yesterday) and rescinded the contract. What do I do next? Am I able to claim for any compensation beyond my losses?

Would be great full if the OP could help me out here as I'm basically in the same boat as they were I believe

Please help?

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to clarify your post for other readers, I think you mean "am I entitled to any compensation for stress and preparatory costs ... ", rather than "am I liable for any compensation..." - as the latter is asking whether you can be sued for compensation against you!
  • Jaff.
    Options
    Yes I should have added my second reply in here.

Basically I'm curious as to wether I am entitled to anything more than my money back + my losses.

OP edited*
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And the legal professional you are paying has said.......?
  • Jaff.
    Options
    She's said she's going to look into it
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jaff. wrote: »
    She's said she's going to look into it
    Fair enough.

She'll be back shortly with some legal advice
  • Jaff.
    Options
    Thanks for the help. Would ideally like some experience from people in the know.
  • SpottyWellies
    Options
    Jaff. wrote: »
    Yes I should have added my second reply in here.

Basically I'm curious as to wether I am entitled to anything more than my money back + my losses.

OP edited*

I do feel for you, I know that it is most likely extremely stressful and all of us who have bought are most likely secretly relieved that we have not been in your shoes but if this was me, as long as I got back my costs/deposit, I would then walk away. I could not feel okay with suing a dying older lady for 'compo'.
  • Jaff.
    Options
    Whilst I'm sympathetic to her and her family. It still doesn't take away the stress I've been through, not to mention living out of a box for months, moving my sons schools and my other half changing jobs to be closer to a house were not living in.

Like I said in the other thread if I'm not entitled to anything else then so be it, but if I am, then I will be wanting it
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes...but IS she dying though...or did they just change their minds. How is this sort of thing determined?

Generally speaking, a terminal diagnosis and a forecast of 2 months to live only happens in soap operas.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Jaff.
    Options
    It's neither here no there now though...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure