PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Guineapigsqueaks
    Options
    Afternoon All

Been to Mr T to do a stock up with my £5 off £40 coupon and to get another such coupon for next week as that promotion ends tomorrow I think. Spend after coupons of £37.75.

I had been online last night and done myself a list. Also remembered to actually take the list with me this time, so I knew what I would spend and what deals I wanted. This really works for me with Mr T shop as I don't get tempted by anything else. Did shop and scan again, I am converted, much easier than using my calculator.

Best deal was 2 packets of Weetos for DS and DD, price drop anyway to £2 a packet then had Clubcard bonus coupon for 90p off two packets, so £1.55 a pack. Also bought bits I didn't have to make Apple and Berry Oaty Crumble for family dinner tomorrow and a few flowers for Mum who is hosting.

On way home, called at local pet food store, stocked up on 6 bags of hay for Guineas and big bag of sunflower hearts for garden birds, total £11.19. These are included in my grocery budget.

Will update signature. Right, I can avoid my ironing basket no longer :). Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Meant to pop on last night to say another no spend day - need a few more of those!

Made green lentil, spinach and mushroom lasagne last night (new concept I was trying out) and it was really tasty :) two portions in the freezer for next week as well.

1D52DDBB-17F7-4F63-95B6-A9653E899373-3783-0000020AFF033C83_zps3775e6fc.jpg

8E816E72-E20A-4808-96CC-9F59931FD2A4-3783-0000020B8897511E_zps5ec48d76.jpg
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I spent £20 in Aldi yesterday. All their xmas biscuits were reduced. Foxes favorite tins and boxes to less than £1. I bought six as I am taking my cubs away in 4 weeks and we always get biccies for camp. Also Panatone for 29p. I luurve toasted panatone!
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Visited mr s this morning and spent around £77 after using £22.50 of n3ctar points. This was more than I was planning and includes a t- shirt for DS that will need to be deducted.

It was more than planned as I took advantage of offers on my favourite rose wine, GF crisps, GF cereal and GF oatcakes that I have instead of bread with soup or ham and cheese and a GF curry sauce for me for tonight as already have one in cupboard for DH as we don't like the same amount of heat in a curry and he doesn't need to be GF like me.

There wasn't a single chocolate egg in mr s so I bought DH some yorkie bars and giant yorkie buttons instead. More chocolate and less packaging too:D.

I won a large min egg egg a couple of weeks ago and it had 2 big bags of mini eggs in so I have converted the egg and one pack of eggs into 14 chocolate cornflake nests for DS for Easter.

Bought some cream and defrosted some raspberries and plan to make either individual raspberry pavlovas (have nests in already) or a chocolate cake filled with cream and rasps. DH hasn't a preference for either so I might do the pavlovas which will leave cream over to have with scones and jam as part of a cram tea for tea on Sunday as we won't be massively hungry after our lunch of lamb with all the trimmings :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2013 at 6:42PM
    Options
    I've added £4.00 spent on Quorn products today that are cheaper in FF. I would have bought these from SM anyway, so will amend online basket.

Also split AF and Cloud 9 order between last month and this month as hardly anything has been used. Really want to crack this, this month! Will not be including pet food this time, so i am hoping to come well under, although not sure if this is doable as DD is eating me out of house and home so far and she only broke up on Weds.

Happy Easter all :)
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spends today:
    Doglet: £11.48
    General groceries: £4.14

Total spends today: £15.62

Total spends so far: £35.38

Doglet spends were just a shimmy (£1.48) over the £10 I wanted to go for but I got him two months worth of food (on offer £6.99 per bag or two for £11.00) and a few treats in the pick'n'mix (the £0.48). I saw the offer on dog food was to continue until June so at the end of May we are going to get six bags (!) which will be £33.00 and that will last us until the end of the year then (all dated 2014).

Roughly broken up the £100.00 budget should average out at £25.00 per week and what I have chosen to do is load £50.00 on to my O2 wallet card each fortnight now. So whilst we are a fair chunk through that it should be ok as we will only need bread and milk (due to the pack size I buy) during the next week.

Have been researching prices in Denmark/Copenhagen and oh my is it pricey! We will have to supply lunch and dinner on the Thursday (although bf and I will probably skip lunch and just eat an evening meal or we will share something little - I may get us a Boots meal deal using my points before we get on the plane or something). We will also need to provide our own lunches on the Monday so we will fill up at breakfast in the hotel and power on through until we land back in the UK!

The week after we are in Copenhagen bf is off for 3 days or so to a GB camp so budget will only have to feed me so I will go for a zero spend whilst he is away! Most of my payments go out this next week and then I don't plan on buying anything except a couple of polo shirts for the rest of the month so I should be fine :)

Getting my hair done tomorrow - would usually pass bf's mum £20 for doing it but as she is doing mine and his he is paying for them to come to tea with us instead - win!

Right, time to meal plan properly for this week and then crack on with my assignment!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just done the weeks shop in sainsburys for 2 adults + cat. £42 for the week inc breakfast lunch & dinners although caved and got a takeaway for tonight & wine then a treat dinner for easte sunday ( chicken sweet & sour in the morrisons takeaway section) total £ 32! This is how my budget gets blown! It was all going so well too. Will be better as of next week...no more unecessary spending! I promise myself!
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2013 at 8:50PM
    Options
    Made green lentil, spinach and mushroom lasagne last night (new concept I was trying out) and it was really tasty :) two portions in the freezer for next week as well.

8E816E72-E20A-4808-96CC-9F59931FD2A4-3783-0000020B8897511E_zps5ec48d76.jpg

Thanks for this, but you know what I'm gonna ask! Any chance of a recipe? You are making my new veggie status very easy and very very tasty!!

Just popping on to add my first April spend of a whopping £30.86 :o My budget is only £100 for the month. But that includes lots of store cupboard stuff. Have now got lots of new recipes to try, including a pot of pea & mint soup which is in the SC as we speak

Good luck for April everyone

:beer:
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CherryPie wrote: »
    Thanks for this, but you know what I'm gonna ask! Any chance of a recipe? You are making my new veggie status very easy and very very tasty!!

No problem CherryPie. Though I'm not a veggie now, I was for four and a half years and still eat veggie food most of the time! It's easy once you start getting into the habit :)

Lentil, mushroom and spinach lasagne (Serves four)

½ pack lasagne sheets
    20-30g parmesan or similar (can use cheddar instead for a different flavour), grated

For the tomato layer:

2 tins chopped tomatoes
    2 small onions or 1 medium one, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    125g green-brown lentils
    ½ bag spinach, washed if necessary
    250g mushrooms, sliced thinly
    1 tbsp dried oregano (can also add thyme or basil, or substitute for fresh herbs if you have any, the more the better really)
    1 glass red wine (optional; add some sugar to taste if you use this)

For the white layer:

20g butter
    20g cornflour (I don’t usually weigh these but measure by eye as doesn’t need to be exact)
    225-250ml milk (again, just do this by eye)
    1 tsp wholegrain mustard

lentillasagnesideview_zps1d13e8d1.jpg

Pop the lentils on to boil (don’t salt the water) in a small saucepan, cooking according to packet directions (I think mine say 25 minutes or so). Meanwhile, heat a little vegetable oil in a large high-sided frying pan and gently fry the onions for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until mostly wilted down. For the last 30 seconds, add the garlic and mix round.

Add the red wine and sugar, if using, and the chopped tomatoes and oregano. Allow to simmer away for 20 minutes or so to reduce down. Season and taste – you might need to add more sugar or salt here. Once the lentils are cooked, drain and add to the sauce, and then add the spinach and cook until wilted.

As the red layer simmers, make the white layer by melting the butter in a small pan, taking off the heat and mixing in the flour to a smooth paste, and adding the milk and whisking in. Put back on to a medium heat and cook, whisking well, for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the mustard and take off the heat. Preheat the oven to 200C.

Layer the sauces and lasagne sheets in a baking dish – you might need more or less sheets depending on the size and shape of the dish and how you layer it. I put half the red sauce in the bottom, follow by a layer of sheets, then a layer of white sauce, then another layer of sheets, then the rest of the red sauce, then sheets, then the rest of the white sauce. Top with cheese and oven cook for around 35 minutes.

Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • ikkle87
    ikkle87 Posts: 8,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £20.54 spent today in Mr M's as bubba's formula is nearly out so needed another tin, also bought some oats to make savoury flapjacks tomorrow so hope they work. This will be our last spend until the 9th x
    You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

xx Mama to a gorgeous Cranio Baby xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport