Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread (Page 89)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Freezing - Tips and Quick Questions thread
Views: 138,708
# 1761
squeakysue
Old 04-12-2012, 3:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You can cook them any way you like and then freeze, eg curry
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeakysue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1762
harrys nan
Old 04-12-2012, 3:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for that, think i must be having a blonde (senior) moment I just went blank
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
The Following User Says Thank You to harrys nan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1763
babyshoes
Old 04-12-2012, 5:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ditto that - you can't re-freeze raw meat, but once cooked you can freeze it for later use. Either cook in a sauce or cook it as-is and freeze to use in a meal another time. Don't overcook it the first time, you want it very slightly rare so when you re-heat it, hopefully it won't be dry. Make sure that when you re-heat it you get it properly hot all the way through.
Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
# 1764
JackieO
Old 04-12-2012, 7:02 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Curry,or chicken pie with veg,my son-in-law makes a mean one with a few chicken breasts and pads it out with a tin of cream of chicken soup and some frozen mixed veg and a few chopped up mushrooms, a couple of sausages cooked and chopped up.He stir fried the lot and bunged it into a big pie dish and covered it with puff pastry it was delicious and looks just like the ones you get in a resteraunt with a big puffy lid.He made one last Friday night and it fed three adults and four hungry boys with some mashed potatos and carrots.Great way to feed the family with only three chopped up chicken breasts and a little inventiveness.DD and I were decorating her dining room at the time
R.I.P Alan 17/5/1933-14/7/2003
# 1765
zippychick
Old 04-12-2012, 8:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

As it has changed state (raw to cooked) you can safely freeze

Ill merge this with freezing quick qs later

Zip
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

# 1766
harrys nan
Old 05-12-2012, 2:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
Curry,or chicken pie with veg,my son-in-law makes a mean one with a few chicken breasts and pads it out with a tin of cream of chicken soup and some frozen mixed veg and a few chopped up mushrooms, a couple of sausages cooked and chopped up.He stir fried the lot and bunged it into a big pie dish and covered it with puff pastry it was delicious and looks just like the ones you get in a resteraunt with a big puffy lid.He made one last Friday night and it fed three adults and four hungry boys with some mashed potatos and carrots.Great way to feed the family with only three chopped up chicken breasts and a little inventiveness.DD and I were decorating her dining room at the time
That sounds very tasty, will def try that soon
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys
# 1767
winniepooh
Old 16-12-2012, 7:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Quick question time

Hi everyone, hope your all warm and well.

just 2 questions.....

can I freeze chilli's?
can I freeze hm sausage rolls?

thanks in advance x
I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!

JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
# 1768
Fruball
Old 16-12-2012, 7:51 PM

Yes you can

I would slice and open freeze the chillis then pop them in a freezer bag so you can use as little or as much as you need.

I would wrap the sausage rolls individually (if they are large ones) so they don't get freezer burn or pop in a bag and get most of the air out

How on earth can you have sausage rolls to freeze?!!! They always get scoffed in no time here
Spammers and Trolls, BORE OFF. You impress no-one.
# 1769
mrs baggins
Old 17-12-2012, 7:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i froze a load of chillis but was too lazy to chop them so have frozen them whole!
# 1770
foxgloves
Old 17-12-2012, 12:27 PM

I grow chillies then freeze them to use all year round. I just fill plastic freezer tubs & freeze them whole. When I want to use them, I find they chop better from frozen than they do if you try thawing them.
Re sausage rolls.....yes, you can freeze them already cooked.....just done a boxful myself for Christmas, or you can get them to the stage where they're on the baking tray ready to go in, foil & freeze them like that, then when you want to eat them, take out, brush with eggy wash or milk & bake them. You need 5 mins or so longer to allow for them being frozen, but this works really wekk too & is good way to get ahead.
# 1771
cjez
Old 17-12-2012, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I freeze chillis, ginger, herbs and lemons and limes. Chillis are easier to chop when frozen.
# 1772
LazyLizzie
Old 28-12-2012, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Can you cook frozen chicken breasts then re freeze them to be used in sandwiches, so they wont be re cooked, they'll be eaten cold?

I can only find answers about cooking frozen chicken then refreezing and cooking it. I didn't know if it's different if the chicken isn't going to be cooked again after freezing?
I'm a money wasting expert.
# 1773
Torry Quine
Old 28-12-2012, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyLizzie View Post
Can you cook frozen chicken breasts then re freeze them to be used in sandwiches, so they wont be re cooked, they'll be eaten cold?

I can only find answers about cooking frozen chicken then refreezing and cooking it. I didn't know if it's different if the chicken isn't going to be cooked again after freezing?
Yes, you can and I've done this many times.
"How many times I have desired to gather your children as a hen that gathers her chicks and you were not willing! Luke 13:34

"When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'--- ye'll ken it was because I didna have time." (Diana Gabaldon- Fiery Cross)
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry Quine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1774
Linda32
Old 28-12-2012, 6:35 PM

Hi, Yes I second that, you can indeed cook chicken, freeze it then defrost it and eat it cold.

During the summer months thats our Sunday dinner with salad.

I've done it time and time again, no problems at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Linda32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 1775
melanzana
Old 28-12-2012, 10:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year.

I'm puzzled by this.... So will throw it out there, and will contact the shop if no one knows the answer!

I Treated us to a ready cooked Wilthshire ham joint from M+S for Christmas. Oh boy it was delicious. We had some yesterday in a turkey and ham gratin. Delish. The box said best before 14th January. There is a shed load still left, but the packet says NOT SUITABLE FOR HOME FREEZING...Aaaagh!

Now I just wondered why? Presumably the ham was cooked in a factory somewhere and packaged up for ME! Even if it was frozen before being cooked, surely I could freeze what's left now. But I think it's cooked from fresh. It flippin cost enough!

Any ideas? I sometimes think Marks are very cagey about recommending freezing in case the defrosted version is not as good as the fresh bought.

Thanks!
# 1776
Kathy535
Old 31-12-2012, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Can I freeze this?

I had some left over pastry yesterday so blind baked some mini tart cases. Today I've made a filling of melted chocolate, melted butter, sugar, flour and eggs but there's loads left. Can I freeze the unbaked filling?

Thank you
# 1777
HappyMJ
Old 31-12-2012, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy535 View Post
I had some left over pastry yesterday so blind baked some mini tart cases. Today I've made a filling of melted chocolate, melted butter, sugar, flour and eggs but there's loads left. Can I freeze the unbaked filling?

Thank you
Yes can be frozen..
# 1778
babyshoes
Old 31-12-2012, 5:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yep, don't see any reason not to.
Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
# 1779
Kathy535
Old 31-12-2012, 7:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Brilliant, thank you. There's loads left and I really don't want to throw it away (or have to make more pastry)
# 1780
Josslette
Old 31-12-2012, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes, I would Sounds yummy too!
September Grocery Challenge 0/225