Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > Frugal frump to Fab - Astonishing Autum Exquinox ... (Page 38)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Frugal frump to Fab - Astonishing Autum Exquinox to Wondrous Winter Solstice
Views: 40,565
# 741
Rummer
Old 03-12-2012, 9:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

A reasonable day here today

I managed to get my hair and makeup dome this morning and it was lovely being organised and having time to make an effort, I even put perfume on

This evening I have enjoyed a home cooked meal and some quality family time as well as spending a wee bit of time on my hobby. Now I am going to watch one of my favourite shows before retiring early with a good book.

I did try to up my steps but I have only managed 3 1/2 k so plenty of room for improvement
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 742
WelshWoofer
Old 03-12-2012, 9:51 PM

Evening all - hope you're feeling a bit better EH? Must be a real shock to the system.
Not a lot in the way of fabbing gone on here today apart from wearing a nice suit, make up and doing my hair.
Does cooking a proper meal and have 5 a day count? Hope so because thats about the sum of it today
September grocery spending - 49.13 / 120
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WelshWoofer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 743
Bitsy Beans
Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Had a day of family friction so am kinda looking forward to getting today over with

Had feedback on viewing......lovely house but downstairs too small. Not sure how they come to that conclusion with a ruddy great big conservatory on the back but hey ho. Suspect I shall have to grow a rhino hide when it comes to selling this house
Rightmove ad has 215 hits (not all my friends and family ) so fingers crossed this translates into viewings.

Not much other fabbing going on

Rummer welcome back xx

LL hugs for you, sorry yesterday was such a bad day xxxx

EH positive vibes that the "something better" is on it's way for you xx

Hugs and high fives all round xx
I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bitsy Beans For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 744
podperson
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Hi all,

ww - glad you got your house back, I'm the same, love it when my family come to visit but by the end I'm usually needing a rest and my house back to myself!

Rummer - welcome back

LL - glad you're having a bit better day, hope you enjoy your meal tonight x

EH - it must be weird hun, try and enjoy the free time a bit while you have it, am sure you'll be back into something soon x Oh, and I absolutely love War of the Worlds, we saw the live show a few years ago and it was amazing (though think they have made a few changes recently) hope you enjoy it.

Bitsy - hope you're ok hun, shame about the viewing but guess you can't expect the first people to take it, am sure someone will fall in love with it soon

Anyway, busy as usual! (one day I'll say I'm not and you'll die of shock ) Managed to get my rewrite and pre-edits in for late Sat, apparently my new editor is super fast as she sent me the next round back very late Sun night! Was rather hoping they wouldn't come in until next weekend or something so I could get caught up a bit on everything else. Am on with the dissertation at the moment - very dull and rather slow going. Fingers crossed I can get it done soon and can get back to my stuff! Very wintery weather up here - canal is frozen and we had snow last night! Rained this morning so that got rid of most of it, it's pretty to look at but bit of a nightmare to get to my work when the weather's bad. Going to do a quick touch up on my nails I think and then back to work!
Frump to Fab
Moneymaking Fund (start date 24/04/13) - 525.80
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to podperson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 745
bratz81
Old 04-12-2012, 7:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

EH - I know how much of a shock it is, I found focussing on looking for more work kept me busy. Plus the house got a great clean!

Hair is fabbed after the henna (bye bye greys ) and got my eyebrows waxed in preparation for the work Xmas do on Saturday. Still trying to decide what to wear, I've two dresses in mind but one is pretty tight and I don't feel confident in it when I'm bloated...which considering aunt Irma is expected this week will probably occur. We'll see on the day just I reckon.
carpe diem

Santander OD- 0/870
Mint cc - 0/6500
HOF cc - 640/750 A&L Loan - 2497/7500
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bratz81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 746
mineallmine
Old 04-12-2012, 8:12 AM

Morning all. Hugs all round.

Bitsy, I nose at houses on rightmove all the time! You will probably get contradictory feedback. But do you need to declutter the downstairs at all? It's ridiculous but buyers like to see a version of real life that in reality doesn't exist, we all have clutter/stuff we use every day. Feel free to join the Declutter thread for inspiration http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...98567&page=143 I also find watching YouTube videos about decluttering inspiring too. Happy to take a nose of your Rightmove ad via PM

After brekkie I need to fab like mad today.

Keep fabbing
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
Less things. Less stuff. More life.
Fab thread: Long daily walks
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 747
fedupandskint
Old 04-12-2012, 8:04 PM

Fabwise today - talked myself into going for a run after work while it wasn't freezing cold tonight. Went better on the way back and was surprised that my time was as good as before for 4miles even though it was quite hard work and only 3 - 5mins slower than my best.

Have been making some Christmas pressies to get them done and not be too flustered at the end and told a few friends at work about them and they all said they sounded great! That was a nice response. Yesterday was lip balms and tonight was the first attempt at bath melts - halved the recipe so not too sure if these will look a little tiny and slim but really the ones you buy in a shop are too big for one bath. Really enjoying this and tomorrow might have a go at handcream if I have enough in to make it otherwise it will have to wait until the weekend when I go off to find some other fragrances to use.

Diet wise not too bad now have factored a run in to burn off some choccie and flapjacks!

Hope everyone is ok as a few of us sound a bit down at the moment.
SPC no.16 2 club 144/150 20p club 50/100 50p club 30.00/50 5p 7.00/50 1 pot tin 57 NSD Sept 18/20 2014 GC 919.27/1200
crazy clothes 2014 68.50/100 clothes no spend Sept 20/30
final unsecured debt to tackle 16837.59 VSP no.121
Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fedupandskint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 748
Rummer
Old 04-12-2012, 8:33 PM

Evening All

I feel a bit deflated this evening. As planned I wore a nice dress got my makeup etc done and felt quite good today. Then I was shown some photos of myself that were taken a couple of months ago and it really hit home how much weight I have put on. My weight gain was due to illness a couple of years ago however I now have no excuse for not losing it.

So I am going to turn this into a positive. I am clearly unhappy with my appearance and whining and feeling sorry for myself is not going to shift the pounds (unfortunately ). The time has come to really make some big changes and I am looking on them as an exciting adventure (instead of sugar deprivation) that will leave me looking and feeling fabulous.

Now I need to really look at my diet because although I have reasonably healthy meals I think my portions are too generous and I certainly have a sweet tooth, especially in the evenings, so I need to make sure I am not taking in too many calories. The 10k step challenge will help in a small way but I clearly need to up the exercise too, shudder.

Phew I am going to have a think about small changes I can make and then build them up gradually as I know that if I change everything all at once I will chuck it all in in a few days.
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rummer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 749
podperson
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Morning all,

Rummer - I feel your pain, I hate all photos of me! It's good to use it as a positive though. I need to do the same thing I think, changes needed to diet and exercise - I've been so busy lately I've just let things slide completely but I need to stop making excuses and get back on track

Not the best day yesterday, was 4 mins late into work due to major bus issues and got basically screamed at and threatened with sacking from my boss. Am so sick of this place, really am going to have to start looking round for something else in the New Year I think Wish the self-employed things were coming on faster but really don't have any more time I can give them at the moment.
Ah well, was choir last night which was quite fun - though was heading there in the snow which was a little worrying! Realised today is less then 3 weeks to Xmas!! Need to really start getting organised, only got a few pressies so far.
Frump to Fab
Moneymaking Fund (start date 24/04/13) - 525.80
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to podperson For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 750
maman
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Been MIA as very busy here but today's plans got postponed because of weather so have a day free to please myself!

I have been keeping up with reading but left it too long to respond to all so I'll just jump straight on in.

I haven't done much for Christmas but don't intend to. DH has cards sorted, foreign ones sent and others ready I just have to do some for personal friends. I did have a declutter and found all the cards left from previous years/sales so they got used before any new ones bought.

Great to read that sparkles is well enough to get back to exercise and that others are following their own exercise plans. I admire you hugely. I've had the odd walk but rather sporadic I'm afraid.

On the fabbing front I am maintaining all the good habits. I'm doing my make up for going out and enjoy putting smart outfits together for various occasions. It's a huge confidence booster. have been using the Aldi serum for a couple of weeks and very pleased. Not only does my skin look well hydrated but I feel good giving myself that extra bit of attention.

Back soon.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 751
lessonlearned
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podperson View Post
Morning all,

Not the best day yesterday, was 4 mins late into work due to major bus issues and got basically screamed at and threatened with sacking from my boss. Am so sick of this place, really am going to have to start looking round for something else in the New Year I think Wish the self-employed things were coming on faster but really don't have any more time I can give them at the moment.
Screamed at for being 4 mins late??

What about all the times you've stayed late, skipped lunch, taken work home........Bet you didn't get screamed at for that.

PP - get yourself out of there as soon as you can. You a smart cookie and a damned hard worker. You deserve better than that. Get those mulitple income streams going asap. That's your goal for next year. Go back to matched betting - whatever it takes.

You are a wonderful person and you have done everything you can to help your partner, doing his course work and thesis for him. Dammit girl it's as much your degree as it is his. Time to devote more time to your own needs.

EH - glad to hear you made it to the end of the week. Yes being made redundant is a huge shock to the system and you need time to lick your wounds, but onwards and upwards my dear. Regroup and come out fighting.

My OH was made redundant once. He had given them his heart and soul for 10 years, working like a demon, making them a fortune. His part of the business was so profitable they sold it off for a huge profit and then, as a thank you, made him redundant.

He was angry, hurt and bitter and rightly so. It was at that point we said that's it - we're going to form our own company. We did and, until his illness, we never looked back.

He made a lot of money but more to the point he had fun doing it. He controlled his own destiny and called the shots.

There is no such thing as job security any more, and sometimes the jobs we are in are so awful that they make our lives unbearable.

My advice to anyone is - if you can - stand on your own two feet, work for yourself. Why line the pockets of your employers, working yourselves to death so they get rich and you just stay afloat.

Get yourselves into a position where you call the shots. Think multiple income streams for safety. Build your skill sets, widen your horizons - whatever and however long it takes.

Today I have taken a good look at my occupational pension (the one I forgot about). I have two options a small lifetime pension or a lump sum.

I waded through the paperwork - wasn't sure so rang them. Is that monthly pension index linked or will it always remain the same amount.

It will always remain the same amount. It's not worth having. Within 5 years or so inflation will have eaten into it and it will be almost worthless.

I've opted to take the cash lump sum. I will invest it - some towards my next property - some in shares. I will make the money work and increase in value.

A risky strategy??? Maybe. However, money which stays flat and doesn't even keep pace with inflation is not worth having.

Which, unless you are very lucky, is exactly what seems to be happening with wages. My DS had his hours cut and therefore his wages cut. This is happening all over. No job or wage is
safe.

Take some advice from an old "War Horse" like me. It's time to look after yourselves, physically, mentally and emotionally ie continue fabbing but also financially. Time to get smart.

Here endeth the lesson.

It's a beautiful day, am off to see my parents, via the charity shop. No I'm not buying.I'm arranging for them to come and pick up some unwanted furniture.

The declutter continues and Oh Boy I'm loving it!!! I never realised how embracing minimalism and the simple life could be so good for the soul.

Who needs stuff??? It just weighs you down and gets in the way.

From now on my life will be simple, clutter free and full of Zen like calm.

Last edited by lessonlearned; 05-12-2012 at 4:50 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lessonlearned For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 752
floss2
Old 05-12-2012, 1:45 PM

LL I totally agree. I'm currently waiting for an "At Risk" letter from my local govt employer. Hopefully my name is not in the pot this time round (or next year hopefully, as we've got an endowment shortfall to make up by April 2015) but I'm darn sure I won't be there in 5 years time. Ideally I will be working part-time, possibly for myself, although I haven't yet got any firm thoughts for what to do!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to floss2 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 753
mineallmine
Old 05-12-2012, 3:05 PM

Hugs to those needing them.

I look distinctly unfab and due to bad weather/snow here been unable to do my daily walks. But I'm keeping up with the fabbing routine. Honestly I lay out so many things in the morning. It goes something like this:

Facial oil (used up this sample this morning)
Liz Earle light cream
Richer cream for my neck (anything I'm targeting to use up)
Perfume/deodorant
Couple of drops of Bachs flower remedy (targeting to use up)
Vitamin C tablet
Body cream
Smelling salts, very old fashioned thing to use but helps my breathing

I'm exhausted just reading it.

Like the idea of financial fabbing. I might think of a challenge for myself on that front. Something like sort 7 financial things in 7 days. Actually I will do that starting tomorrow. So anything from update a savings account/ISA, apply to reduce/increase limits, etc etc.
Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 754
lessonlearned
Old 05-12-2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineallmine View Post

Like the idea of financial fabbing. I might think of a challenge for myself on that front. Something like sort 7 financial things in 7 days. Actually I will do that starting tomorrow. So anything from update a savings account/ISA, apply to reduce/increase limits, etc etc.
Great challenge there and one that I'm definitely up for in the New Year. If we do one thing each day to improve our finances - wow what we could achieve in a year.

I've made a bit of a start, ie the pension decision, but at the moment a lot of it is just research at the because DS2 and I will make a lot of changes to our budgets when we move.

We've already looked at things like Broadband/phone/tv etc. Both of our names will appear on the lease so we are going to put some things in his name so that he gets the new customer discount. Just swapping them and keeping them in my name means we can't take advantage of any offers. Plus, it will all help build up his credit score for when he is ready to take out a mortgage.

But yes, come the New Year, I will be drilling down and fine tuning the finances.

I recently bought a load of business books from Amazon (0-01p each - bargains!!!!) and I am teaching myself.

I negotiated a brand new still in the wrappers 1200 ex showhouse bed down to 150 yesterday. I've always been a good negotiator but at one time I wouldn't have dared be so cheeky. I'm learning fast.

Today I went into the YMCA to organise them to pick up my old bed and office furniture which I won't be taking with me. They get a gift and I don't have to hire someone to remove them. Win-win. We both benefit.

I'm such a regular customer there that they have now started holding things back for me me to look at.

They let me have a really pretty bracelet today for 0-50p, a set of silver (plated) teaspoons for 1 and a really flash still in the box stainless steel citrus press for 2. It will look fab in my new kitchen. I've asked them to watch out for a nice writing bureau for me.

Next year I want to get really financially secure and this means honing my negotiating and selling skills, wheeling and dealing and getting really financially savvy - hence the business books.

Fab health, fab body, fab wardrobes, fab houses and now we are aiming for fab bank accounts

Can we do this ladies - of course we can - onwards and upwards!!!!.

Last edited by lessonlearned; 05-12-2012 at 5:17 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lessonlearned For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 755
mineallmine
Old 05-12-2012, 4:57 PM

Thanks LL for the inspiration. I'm doing lots of challenges and things like finances can seem a bit dry. Edit: I hate doing them! I started a thread on this so I'm committed!! http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4328971
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 756
lessonlearned
Old 05-12-2012, 5:08 PM

Right Mine.

Thanks for starting your new thread.

I'll post my financial progress on there so as not to clog this one up with financial stuff.

PS I used to find financial stuff dry and boring, now I find it fascinating. I've even come to understand compound interest. And ....I'm no longer scared of maths....

Last edited by lessonlearned; 05-12-2012 at 5:20 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lessonlearned For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 757
fedupandskint
Old 05-12-2012, 5:22 PM

Well I am well happy after encouraging a collegue along with my other fitness buddy pals at work who has started exercising to feel better and has started with a gym, here's hoping it continues and its not a fad.

However I am well happy because I've just had my hair cut for the first time by a lovely mobile hairdresser I found on the tinternet and I was very apprehensive about whether it would be a let down like last time when I was disappointed with the hair cut after changing hair dressers. She was lovely and has cut my hair into a lovely neater more stylish style which I said 'thanks it looks lovely!' - and I meant it!

As you know I've been downbranding over the last couple of years and the haircut was one of the last ones to downbrand on. I thought I might go back up brand if this didn't work out but now I don't have to

Costs
Old hairdresser before NUS discount - 56
Old hairdresser post discount - 41 - used to be 35 then cost went up a level
Last hairdresser 30 - not going back didn't like the cut
New mobile hairdresser 20 - can't believe this price - cut as good as 56/41/35 and better sometimes

Difference - 36 when NUS discount expires this year or 15 cheaper than discount cost

Result - very happy! At one time I could never imagine I would get such a good cut for 20 and not feel the slight nervousness of being in a salon while watching in the bright lights as they tried to tame my incredibly straight hair

Tonight I will be fabbing ironing and finalising my shopping list for the weekend after the final ebay collection is made in a little while and then a lovely tea of salmon, veg and potato and rice pudding dessert - nice!
SPC no.16 2 club 144/150 20p club 50/100 50p club 30.00/50 5p 7.00/50 1 pot tin 57 NSD Sept 18/20 2014 GC 919.27/1200
crazy clothes 2014 68.50/100 clothes no spend Sept 20/30
final unsecured debt to tackle 16837.59 VSP no.121
Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fedupandskint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 758
mineallmine
Old 05-12-2012, 6:50 PM

I hope everyone is ok. The weather seems pretty cold across the country. So keep warm.

That's really good fedupandskint. To have a great result and save money.

No walks today as the snow/ice is tricky here. So I am behind my target. I really need to get back into swimming too. When I'm there I love it. It's not too far away. But it seems an effort to get there. I need to get my act together on this.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mineallmine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 759
WelshWoofer
Old 05-12-2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessonlearned View Post
Great challenge there and one that I'm definitely up for in the New Year. If we do one thing each day to improve our finances - wow what we could achieve in a year.

But yes, come the New Year, I will be drilling down and fine tuning the finances.

Fab health, fab body, fab wardrobes, fab houses and now we are aiming for fab bank accounts

Can we do this ladies - of course we can - onwards and upwards!!!!.
This is also my aim for the New Year - made a bit of a start this year post divorce, but there's still plenty that can be done.
My ultimate goal is to get a 5K emergency fund that is not to be touched (have about 3k in an account in addition to everyday savings) and have no debt at all (currently only have one smallish credit card account but no loans or other credit).

Feel like my life is kind of sorted these days - lost weight, fitter than ever (but could still improve), happy home life with just me and the dog, increased my social circle a bit and the job is going well. I just need some added security financially. So lets get Xmas over with and then get some serious dosh in the bank.

Fabbing wise, only a 4k walk today with the dog and a nice bath to warm up again. The usual hair, make up and suit for work and a fairly good food day (not perfect but good enough to hopefully stay where I am weightwise).
Need to plan some serious exercise for the weekend - hope the snow holds off. No visitors or big plans thankfully so can just have the weekend to myself to relax. 2 more days......
September grocery spending - 49.13 / 120
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WelshWoofer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 760
bratz81
Old 06-12-2012, 8:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

all the financial goals sound good I'm working on paying off debts right now, since we got married the husbandino is paying towards them too. At first I was doubtful about this as they're my debts but he, rightly, made the point that we want to buy our own place and this will help us get there quicker.
I should have my credit card paid off by Feb/March and then can save up to pay the loan off as you can't overpay it. I'd say by August next year that will be gone too.
After that we can save for a house

On the fabbing front I managed to finally master Dutch braiding so my hair is in two Dutch braids which looks cute and keeps it tidy in the wind. Good since we're heading into town after work to get some more Xmas shopping done.

I also made white chocolate and espresso truffles last night...was hoping to give them as a gift but although they taste amazing they look like something shot at and missed haha so need to practise those.
I've a recipe for dark chocolate and brandy truffles which looks easier so will give them a go tonight along with making cranberry and parma ham stuffing balls for the MIL and me for Xmas.
carpe diem

Santander OD- 0/870
Mint cc - 0/6500
HOF cc - 640/750 A&L Loan - 2497/7500
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bratz81 For This Useful Post: Show me >>