IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much can you save?
Views: 1,279,862
# 6401
InspironDreams
Old 04-11-2012, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovate View Post
Not under FSCS. There is some sort of turkish protection scheme, to the equivalent of up to 20K Euros, I believe. Banks in northern Cyprus have been collapsing long before there was a worldwide financial crisis.HSBC have bought some illiquid bank(s) out there. I believe the money-laundering accusations against HSBC are partly based on dealings in North Cyprus.

Assuming you'd find a bank you trust out there, and assuming they'd let you open a sterling account, I don't believe you get even half of 5% now.
I can confirm with you that I do get 5%. Proof of this & bank details can given via private message.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 6402
raindudu
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I am new to this thread. Been looking at it for a while. Our taking home income between my hubby and myself is around 5k a month. We save around 2k a month. We have 1k child care to pay as well. So I think we are doing pretty good. Struggling to find any decent saving rate to put the savings though.
# 6403
Pharmer
Old 10-11-2012, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hey all. I could definitely use some impartial advice on where to put some cash. I can currently put 450 a month into savings. I also use 'save the change' on my HBOS current account and every weekend I round my current account balance down to the nearest 50 and put it in savings. I've 1k in a virgin ISA and have been put off puting money into regular savings accounts due to having to pay tax (but I may be being silly if the interest outweighs an ISA interest substantially).
Any advice on where I should put my money?
Look forward to getting involved on the forum.
Wins:
July 2013: 1.Men's bespoke bracelet 2. Signed Primal Scream album

# 6404
kevin-green
Old 12-11-2012, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am looking for promo codes of clothing so that I can buy jeans and shoes for winter.
# 6405
debrag
Old 12-11-2012, 3:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Well I aim for 3.5k for a holiday next September then after that & once debts are paid off (1st half of year) I plan to saving around 500 a month towards our move in 2015.

So 20-24 months @ 500 = 10,000 - 12,000 + 3,500 (if you can include that) = 13,500 - 15,500
Debts:
c3 = 639 ; c4 = 458 TOTAL = 1097
Defaults = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12!
# 6406
Christian Rene Friborg
Old 13-11-2012, 12:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Investments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanno View Post
Who ever invented Time and a half was a genius. Ive decided to work overtime this weekend. Thats an extra 400 or so to add to the pot. I went a bit mad in boots last night so it's needed.

You don't need to tire yourself out with many jobs. Try to invest in stock market or bonds. Don't just let you money seat on a bank. Let them grow in trusted investments.
# 6407
qualitynet
Old 15-11-2012, 2:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am doing job and i have fixed amount which i keep aside every month. Its 10% of my monthly income.
# 6408
xtinataguba
Old 15-11-2012, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

my only advice is, continue what your doing, dont get distractd on other things. always think about your goal. you can do it!
# 6409
lbnblbnb
Old 19-11-2012, 7:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This thread is really inspiring. I have cleared my debts 8,300 in nine months) and now want to buil a better emergency fund then start saving for retirement and to help our kids with university.
I got a kick out of clearing the debt, but feel much less motivated by saving for some reason! Maybe because my goal is less clearly defined?
I was aiming for 1,000 a month but have had to drop it to 500 a month today. My OH isn't on board, he isn't a big spender but is certainly not a planner! His income is erratic whereas mine is fixed, so I think I will have to plan based on my income only and add more as I can.
# 6410
jimmypehel
Old 20-11-2012, 7:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default It's okey

May be it is not right place but it's nice view that you express your that be important and i think you need to get proper guidance of a financial advisor.
# 6411
lbnblbnb
Old 20-11-2012, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Is it me or does this thread seem to have far more strange posts than other threads on the forum....? Kind of puts me off posting!
Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
19th June -18th July 91:15/150 61%

Save 12,000 in 2013 No. 188 7382/12,000 62%
2013 Frugal Living Challenge
Debt free October 2012
# 6412
jimmypehel
Old 22-11-2012, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Own Post

This thread is perfect for you just create a new thread in it.
# 6413
tradeguy
Old 26-11-2012, 5:43 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am a newbie to this site and was just looking at some of the topics being covered, it is great to see so many of you saving for your own property and ultimately your futures. In this day and age it has become difficult to get on to the property ladder with mortgages requiring such a substantial deposit. I encouraged my children ( not so young anymore ) to save from a young age with the 10% rule. for those who are not familiar with this rule it is just putting in to a high interest savings account 10% of all your weekly/monthly earnings this starts with pocket money if we are taking about children. Good luck to all you savers and all the best with reaching your goals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tradeguy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6414
Sheela
Old 26-11-2012, 8:35 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanno View Post
I thought I would post a new thread being a newbie to this.

There seems to be a diary for getting out of debt, and clearing your mortgage, but not one for the amount you can save to put towards something.

I'm saving for a deposit for a house and am aiming for about 16,000.

It would be useful to log how much I can save in a diary format and get as much support as possible.
I'll be keeping a log of my progress and would love to hear any tips you guys have on budgeting and making the most of the money I can keep.

If anybody would like to join me then great- the more the merrier!
Hi,

Saving money is one of those tasks that's so much easier said than done. There's more to it than spending less money ,although that part alone can be challenging. Why don't you go for reliable Bank saving plans. Many banks nowadays have come up with cashback plans for the customers. Have you ever come across anyone of them?
# 6415
sailor863
Old 28-11-2012, 4:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Saving money is one of those things in life that are a must do, so I think budgeting with inclusion of a set amount each week is the easiest way to do it. I always find that the more I have saved the more I want to save but it can be difficult getting off the starting position. I just started simply by opening an online account attached to my current account and made sure I put as much as I could afford in from week to week, some more some less depending on my outgoings for that particular week. I always made sure I put something in though. After a while you really start to see it build up and before you know it your feeling much calmer mentally with the knowledge that there is money available to you if you need it. I wish everyone on here all the best with your saving.
# 6416
CH_2012
Old 28-11-2012, 7:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to CH_2012

I think I should try hard so that I can post my result here. I didn't save much money by now.
# 6417
kansaskitty
Old 28-11-2012, 8:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller1 View Post
Hello all,
New to the site, but Ive eavesdropped on this and other threads for some time now. Using everyones stories as motivation for myself. Now Ive reached my saving target I thought I would share my story I the hope to inspire others to their goals.

So here goes...

I'm 24 now. I have been saving for my house deposit for two years, two months. Finally all the hard work, nights in and time away has come to fruition and my farther completed the house purchase on my behalf recently. (Im overseas at the moment) I managed to go from zip in my savings to grand total of 42,000 for a deposit, 2500 for Fees etc and my partner is having a great time spending what is left decorating and furnishing. Hopefully I will be back in the UK for Christmas and we will be able to enjoy to enjoy our first Christmas together. And make a start on the MFW path

It wasnt always a pleasant road for me as Im a sure the like minded savers reading are all too aware. Working hard, declining invitations out. Counting every penny. I am fortunate (if you can call it that) in having an occupation that requires me to be overseas for large parts of the year so that helped me keep my outgoings as low as physically possible, and parents that welcomed my partner in to their home to cut out her costs.

I can safely say that it has been 100% worth it. My partner is over the moon and I cant wait to get home, to my own home. Keep going at your own goals because when you get there its one of the most satisfying feelings in the world.
I just wanted to say well done for all of your hard work, this sounds amazing. Best of luck to your and your partner, happy days!
First time buyers July '11, married July '13, expecting our first baby March '15. Feeling BLESSED!
2014: Disaster Fund 3000/3000 100%
MFW 2014 No.105 1629.54/1906.80 85%
# 6418
phil09
Old 28-11-2012, 10:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've been saving since I was 18, currently saving around 900 per month on a monthly income of 1550 after tax and student loans. Trying to increase that to 1000 per month next year. My goal is to prepare myself for any emergencies/potential job loss and then to buy a house in a few years.
# 6419
supo99
Old 29-11-2012, 12:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default how is it possible to save 900 from an income of 1550?

how is it possible to save 900 from an income of 1550? I am not suggesting that you are not telling the truth but I would like to learn from your way if possible. You are basically spending just 650 every month! I wish I could do that
# 6420
Saving_NOW
Old 29-11-2012, 4:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello everyone I have been reading this thread for ages and finally caught up to the present!! We have been saving for the last 2 months for the first time in my life and can't wait to see our money grow month by month. Saving for the future not sure if we will buy a house yet but will take it one step at a time.

So far I have saved
1010 Barclays Isa
220 Barclays reg saver
150 Holiday fund (just had holiday in Nov so starting again)
40 Christmas 2013 fund

Normally together with DH we can save 870 per month could be more but DH likes to have spending money for all his hard work and I normally save the spending money i pay myself so can boost savings hopefully most months to 970- 1000. I have set a realistic target of 10k by Dec 31st 2013.

I also have a small ammount of gold worth 350 so would i count this as an investment and add it to my total savings ??

Anyway glad to join this thread as I need the motivation and encouragement from other fellow savers!!