Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Wanno
    How much can you save?
    • 1st Nov 06, 2:12 PM
    How much can you save? 1st Nov 06 at 2:12 PM
    I thought I would post a new thread being a newbie to this.

There seems to be a diary for getting out of debt, and clearing your mortgage, but not one for the amount you can save to put towards something.

I'm saving for a deposit for a house and am aiming for about 16,000.

It would be useful to log how much I can save in a diary format and get as much support as possible.
    I'll be keeping a log of my progress and would love to hear any tips you guys have on budgeting and making the most of the money I can keep.

If anybody would like to join me then great- the more the merrier!
Page 321
  • InspironDreams
    Not under FSCS. There is some sort of turkish protection scheme, to the equivalent of up to 20K Euros, I believe. Banks in northern Cyprus have been collapsing long before there was a worldwide financial crisis.HSBC have bought some illiquid bank(s) out there. I believe the money-laundering accusations against HSBC are partly based on dealings in North Cyprus.

Assuming you'd find a bank you trust out there, and assuming they'd let you open a sterling account, I don't believe you get even half of 5% now.
    Originally posted by innovate
    I can confirm with you that I do get 5%. Proof of this & bank details can given via private message.

Thanks.
  • raindudu
    I am new to this thread. Been looking at it for a while. Our taking home income between my hubby and myself is around 5k a month. We save around 2k a month. We have 1k child care to pay as well. So I think we are doing pretty good. Struggling to find any decent saving rate to put the savings though.
  • Pharmer
    Hey all. I could definitely use some impartial advice on where to put some cash. I can currently put 450 a month into savings. I also use 'save the change' on my HBOS current account and every weekend I round my current account balance down to the nearest 50 and put it in savings. I've 1k in a virgin ISA and have been put off puting money into regular savings accounts due to having to pay tax (but I may be being silly if the interest outweighs an ISA interest substantially).
    Any advice on where I should put my money?
    Look forward to getting involved on the forum.
    Wins:
    July 2013: 1.Men's bespoke bracelet 2. Signed Primal Scream album

• kevin-green
    I am looking for promo codes of clothing so that I can buy jeans and shoes for winter.
  • debrag
    Well I aim for 3.5k for a holiday next September then after that & once debts are paid off (1st half of year) I plan to saving around 500 a month towards our move in 2015.

So 20-24 months @ 500 = 10,000 - 12,000 + 3,500 (if you can include that) = 13,500 - 15,500
    Debts:
    c3 = 639 ; c4 = 458 TOTAL = 1097
    Defaults = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12!
  • Christian Rene Friborg
    Investments
    Who ever invented Time and a half was a genius. Ive decided to work overtime this weekend. Thats an extra 400 or so to add to the pot. I went a bit mad in boots last night so it's needed.
    Originally posted by Wanno

You don't need to tire yourself out with many jobs. Try to invest in stock market or bonds. Don't just let you money seat on a bank. Let them grow in trusted investments.
  • qualitynet
    I am doing job and i have fixed amount which i keep aside every month. Its 10% of my monthly income.
  • xtinataguba
    my only advice is, continue what your doing, dont get distractd on other things. always think about your goal. you can do it!
    • lbnblbnb
    • By lbnblbnb 19th Nov 12, 7:46 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    lbnblbnb
    This thread is really inspiring. I have cleared my debts 8,300 in nine months) and now want to buil a better emergency fund then start saving for retirement and to help our kids with university.
    I got a kick out of clearing the debt, but feel much less motivated by saving for some reason! Maybe because my goal is less clearly defined?
    I was aiming for 1,000 a month but have had to drop it to 500 a month today. My OH isn't on board, he isn't a big spender but is certainly not a planner! His income is erratic whereas mine is fixed, so I think I will have to plan based on my income only and add more as I can.
  • jimmypehel
    It's okey
    May be it is not right place but it's nice view that you express your that be important and i think you need to get proper guidance of a financial advisor.
    • lbnblbnb
    • By lbnblbnb 20th Nov 12, 7:39 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 5,881 Thanks
    lbnblbnb
    Is it me or does this thread seem to have far more strange posts than other threads on the forum....? Kind of puts me off posting!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July 91:15/150 61%

Save 12,000 in 2013 No. 188 7382/12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • jimmypehel
    Own Post
    This thread is perfect for you just create a new thread in it.
  • tradeguy
    I am a newbie to this site and was just looking at some of the topics being covered, it is great to see so many of you saving for your own property and ultimately your futures. In this day and age it has become difficult to get on to the property ladder with mortgages requiring such a substantial deposit. I encouraged my children ( not so young anymore ) to save from a young age with the 10% rule. for those who are not familiar with this rule it is just putting in to a high interest savings account 10% of all your weekly/monthly earnings this starts with pocket money if we are taking about children. Good luck to all you savers and all the best with reaching your goals.
  • Sheela
    I thought I would post a new thread being a newbie to this.

There seems to be a diary for getting out of debt, and clearing your mortgage, but not one for the amount you can save to put towards something.

I'm saving for a deposit for a house and am aiming for about 16,000.

It would be useful to log how much I can save in a diary format and get as much support as possible.
    I'll be keeping a log of my progress and would love to hear any tips you guys have on budgeting and making the most of the money I can keep.

If anybody would like to join me then great- the more the merrier!
    Originally posted by Wanno
    Hi,

Saving money is one of those tasks that's so much easier said than done. There's more to it than spending less money ,although that part alone can be challenging. Why don't you go for reliable Bank saving plans. Many banks nowadays have come up with cashback plans for the customers. Have you ever come across anyone of them?
  • sailor863
    Saving money is one of those things in life that are a must do, so I think budgeting with inclusion of a set amount each week is the easiest way to do it. I always find that the more I have saved the more I want to save but it can be difficult getting off the starting position. I just started simply by opening an online account attached to my current account and made sure I put as much as I could afford in from week to week, some more some less depending on my outgoings for that particular week. I always made sure I put something in though. After a while you really start to see it build up and before you know it your feeling much calmer mentally with the knowledge that there is money available to you if you need it. I wish everyone on here all the best with your saving.
  • CH_2012
    I think I should try hard so that I can post my result here. I didn't save much money by now.
  • kansaskitty
    Hello all,
    New to the site, but Ive eavesdropped on this and other threads for some time now. Using everyones stories as motivation for myself. Now Ive reached my saving target I thought I would share my story I the hope to inspire others to their goals.

So here goes...

I'm 24 now. I have been saving for my house deposit for two years, two months. Finally all the hard work, nights in and time away has come to fruition and my farther completed the house purchase on my behalf recently. (Im overseas at the moment) I managed to go from zip in my savings to grand total of 42,000 for a deposit, 2500 for Fees etc and my partner is having a great time spending what is left decorating and furnishing. Hopefully I will be back in the UK for Christmas and we will be able to enjoy to enjoy our first Christmas together. And make a start on the MFW path

It wasnt always a pleasant road for me as Im a sure the like minded savers reading are all too aware. Working hard, declining invitations out. Counting every penny. I am fortunate (if you can call it that) in having an occupation that requires me to be overseas for large parts of the year so that helped me keep my outgoings as low as physically possible, and parents that welcomed my partner in to their home to cut out her costs.

I can safely say that it has been 100% worth it. My partner is over the moon and I cant wait to get home, to my own home. Keep going at your own goals because when you get there its one of the most satisfying feelings in the world.
    Originally posted by Traveller1
    I just wanted to say well done for all of your hard work, this sounds amazing. Best of luck to your and your partner, happy days!
    FTBs July '11, married July '13, expecting a baby March '15. Feeling BLESSED!
    Disaster Fund 3000/3000 100%
    MFW 2014 No.105 1629.54/1906.80 85%
  • phil09
    I've been saving since I was 18, currently saving around 900 per month on a monthly income of 1550 after tax and student loans. Trying to increase that to 1000 per month next year. My goal is to prepare myself for any emergencies/potential job loss and then to buy a house in a few years.
  • supo99
    how is it possible to save 900 from an income of 1550?
    how is it possible to save 900 from an income of 1550? I am not suggesting that you are not telling the truth but I would like to learn from your way if possible. You are basically spending just 650 every month! I wish I could do that
  • Saving_NOW
    Hello everyone I have been reading this thread for ages and finally caught up to the present!! We have been saving for the last 2 months for the first time in my life and can't wait to see our money grow month by month. Saving for the future not sure if we will buy a house yet but will take it one step at a time.

So far I have saved
    1010 Barclays Isa
    220 Barclays reg saver
    150 Holiday fund (just had holiday in Nov so starting again)
    40 Christmas 2013 fund

Normally together with DH we can save 870 per month could be more but DH likes to have spending money for all his hard work and I normally save the spending money i pay myself so can boost savings hopefully most months to 970- 1000. I have set a realistic target of 10k by Dec 31st 2013.

I also have a small ammount of gold worth 350 so would i count this as an investment and add it to my total savings ??

Anyway glad to join this thread as I need the motivation and encouragement from other fellow savers!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,316Posts Today

8,120Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin