How much can you save?

Options

Comments

• Thank you for your response and i'll look into those options.

Would you recommend premium bonds as well?
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Premium Bonds are good for people who are happy to lose money. You can hope - statistically - for a 1.5% annual return. This is way below inflation, so statistically you are almost certain to lose money. I personally do have Premium Bonds but I am very aware that this is not a rational place for my money.

Read this for more detail: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds
  • Pocketsaver
    Options
    Going good guns there Pocketsaver. How do you get to a £4,000 total? Seems double what I thought you were away to say....Is that including loss of earnings?

Job to date has paid me £3,971.84 (net) and I saved £3,600 from it. My part-time job has paid me about £400 since June. Parents have helped me along the way by paying for petrol, refusing rent/ me paying for anything, so I can save for a home someday. The rest was paid back by family members since I gave them some money to increase their house deposit - still a lot more of this to come. I wasn't counting on this money until I put my own deposit down on a home. That is another story for another thread though.

Now for the big news...
    My position came to a close today. The company have decided to promote me and give me a pay rise to £21,200 from £17,600 on a 6-month contract, effective from Monday. Not bad for a summer job! :T:beer: Money I get from now on is a complete bonus as I did not calculate for it. I'll probably use this opportunity to save for my Marathon Des Sable 2014 adventure.
    Although the money is great and the experience valuable (even gained a level 4 City and Guilds qualification in Project Management because of it), I want to move to London by the end of the first half of next year. The people at the office are lovely, but it is just not where I want to be; I want to get out of Wales and go to somewhere new/ start my own life away from family and friends. Fortunately, my sister and BIL work in London and have their own place, and said they will always have a room there for me when I want it.
  • YoungSaver20
    Options
    My savings took a dip recently but hopefully it will recover soon. I have been offered a full-time job, so I needed to buy a car and insurance to drive to the office.

So savings went down to £36,500 (Age 23). So hopefully I can get to £60,000 by the time I am 26, supercharge_me but it is early days.
  • Colin297
    Colin297 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Currently saving approx £600 p/m.

I had a few "bad weeks" but on course to have saved close to 7k this year. I'll calculate exact amounts at the end of the year.

I'm paying £200 p/m back on a low interest loan and i just cleared, reluctantly, a old student £800 overdraft which has just started charging me interest. That broke my heart - but i just used last month's saving for it to put it behind me.

Onwards and upwards. I hope to save 2k between now and year end :)

Can't wait until im debt free, good healthy current account, 2 full ISA years (i.e. next year) and have a few K for a house deposit. On the right path - at last!
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I officially hit £20k of deposit savings this month. It's so annoying that this is some people's total target and they can buy a nice house with a decent mortgage however I'd be lucky to get a studio in a rough part of Edinburgh considering house prices here :-(

Another 2 years of saving and having no life before I finally can consider looking at a new house!
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Due an update. I was saving 4k for a new car and insurance and I'm pleased to say my little Eco beauty is sat on the drive :D it'll save me a fortune on running costs.

My next challenge is to save between £1k and £1.5k for an emergency buffer and after that the real hard graft starts....house deposit :D I really hope to start this pot at the beginning of January, going to London for new years eve(instead of a holiday in Goa :() then the fun begins :D

Well done everybody, your totals are amazing :beer:
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • Andrew_Middleton
    Options
    Wanno wrote: »
    I thought I would post a new thread being a newbie to this.

There seems to be a diary for getting out of debt, and clearing your mortgage, but not one for the amount you can save to put towards something.

I'm saving for a deposit for a house and am aiming for about £16,000.

It would be useful to log how much I can save in a diary format and get as much support as possible.
    I'll be keeping a log of my progress and would love to hear any tips you guys have on budgeting and making the most of the money I can keep.

If anybody would like to join me then great- the more the merrier!

This might be the best solution to your problem...

wikihow.com/Save-Money
  • mahoney
    mahoney Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just found this thread, page one says 12% savings!!! Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • YoungBusinessman
    Options
    Even when i started out 5 years ago at 16, 9% was common in alot of places!
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback