The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 23 October 2012 at 3:32PM in Shop but don't drop
The Great 'best and worst shop returns policies' Hunt

If it isn't faulty, legally you have no right to return goods. While many stores' returns policies go above and beyond this, some won't budge an inch. So we want to use MoneySavers' collective wisdom to find the best and worst policies.

More help: Consumer Rights guide.

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• gizfizz
    gizfizz Posts: 50 Forumite
    Not a physical shop, but Avon gives a 90 day guarantee. So you can return your purchase even if you've tried it - not many shops give you that long! :j
  • Schuh (think I spelt it correctly) give a 365 day return. Took some boots back recently just said I changed my mind and they gave me my money back once they looked at the bottom of the shoes to see I'd not worn them outside.
  • Lots of shops always want to put the goods receipt in the bag with the goods. This means that there's a good chance you'll ditch the receipt along with the carrier bag. ALWAYS insist on putting the receipt in your purse / wallet so that you have it safely should you need to return the goods. It's even worth having an old shoe box at home to shove receipts in - no filing skills required! :D
  • Lakeland

Best shop EVER for goods and customer service. Never a question regarding returns - which because of the excellent quality of the goods is very rare.
  • N.I.M
    N.I.M Posts: 2,248 Forumite
    B&Q, you must have the receipt, no matter what. Staff member got quite agressive when I suggested an alternative proof of purchase, which I found odd given it was a B&Q own brand item.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    :j:j:j:j
  • Sports Direct is atrocious. I changed to return a shirt which had a mark which I didn't notice when purchasing 2 days previously, and they firstly denied it was marked, when I insisted on them comparing with a another in the shelf to prove it marked, they then accused me of marking it myself deliberately, and to add insult to injury, accused me in front of other customers of lying and of having worn it (not that it should even matter) because "smelt like it had been worn" (I had worn it to try it on only).

The whole incident was quite upsetting, and a letter of complaint to Head Office got a muted response; I eventually managed to resolve in another store but I have avoided them like the plague ever since, as they may be cheap but they have a total disregard for their customers; they will try as hard as possible to avoid their statutory duties let alone accepting any return, which is totally against policy.
  • Comet online will not even refund/replace an item that is faulty. I bought a freezer which frosted up within hours of switching on. I reported the fault within a week but Comet simply referred me to the manufacturer, stating that they 'do not have the contracts to deal with faulty items' (whatever that means!). They would not budge, despite me quoting the Sale of Goods Act at them. The call centre advisors would not put me through to a manager and the managers never returned my calls. I also sent numerous emails which went unanswered. In desperation I eventually contacted the manufacturer to arrange a repair (for which I had to take a day off work unpaid). As I expected, the 'repair' made no difference. I informed the manufacturer and they persuaded Comet to send a replacement freezer. The replacement is fine, but it took me 3 months to get it! I am astounded that Comet treats their customers with such contempt.
  • I rarely shop in Morrisons any more since buying a goats cheese with gelatine in. I took the cheese straight back but they refused to exchange or refund. I explained very politely that I'm vegetarian and she repeated that it isn't their policy to have chilled returns. I could have been longer in one of their queues than the time it took me to get home and come back!
  • John Lewis don't have a time limit on refunds and with a receipt items can be returned at any time. Without a receipt items can still be returned at the decision of the sales assistant and gift vouchers for the current value will be offered. Having worked at John Lewis I know that pretty much anything can be returned, and if the sales assistant isn't allowing a return and you believe you should be able to return ask for a manger and the odds are you will ge what you want.
  • I'll second the votes for Lakeland and Avon. Also, Lakeland's staff seem to be a cut above the rest; knowledgeable, friendly and efficient.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure