October 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    No grocery spends today. Made a peanut butter tray bake. Mega sickly and so far i only licked the spoon!

1 jar peanut butter

4 cups of icing sugar

1 cup butter. Melted

1 pkt of digestives. Made into fine breadcrumbs

Mix the whole lot together.

Push into a greased/lined baking tray. Cover with melted chocolate. Refridgerate for an hour before serving.

in other news....
    Just had a very simple meal of brie, new potatoes, salad for tea.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    katholicos wrote: »
    ... Made a peanut butter tray bake. ...
    I've added it to the recipe list :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • £25.54 in MrA on a weekly shop for the two of us - not bad but there was no meat so next week may be more! Not bad for half way through the month though. Well done to everyone on all the bargains and batch cooking!
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    ok so today we ventured to c0stc0 for the first time ever (only been to m'kr0 in terms of wholesaler places previously). and then had to pop to tesco as well. grrrrrr! however I was REALLY good and stuck to our list! whooooohoooooo! so groceries in costc0 round up to £20 and £10 in tesco because I have had to go back to their own brand non bio tabs as I cant stand the smell of non bio almat from aldi - booooooO! plus husband wanted MORE BREAD this is three times this week we have bought bread! and I needed some sinus tablets cos i have a god awful cold. off to update my sig. seriously worrying about coming in on budget this month now :(
    Blah
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,041
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hello and welcome to anyone new - this is such a fantastic thread!

Well I spent £1 yesterday in £land on two packs of face wipes and £24.87 today in Mr M. Got milk, value butter, spreadable butter, mince, saver's cheese, bananas, peanuts, saver's mushrooms, veg stock cubes, pot noodle, caster sugar, tampons, apples, double cream, gravy granules, peppers, savers stir fry pack, 2 multipacks of crisps (on offer), sliced greens, living coriander, 2 packs of salad. Still need to get coke (couldn't carry it back on the bus) and forgot spray cleaner.

Had a productive day today - made soup with a YS cubed root veg pack (10p!)and an onion, blended up some stock, honey & thyme. Gave some to OH as a snack and have three tubs in the freezer of the cheapest soup on the world :D Also made pizza sauce (also for the freezer) with some passata languishing in the fridge, and whizzed up some dried-up bread for my breadcrumb bag in the freezer, which has been getting sadly depleted since I've got so good at not wasting bread :rotfl:

Tried to make mince pasties for dinner but the pastry wasn't holding the filling well so turned it into a pie instead:

photo49.jpg

It was OK but not enough gravy and needed more seasoning. Just off to make a filling for a turkey pie using the YS turkey breast I got the other day :)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    Hi everyone

I'm not doing the challenge this month as I'm living off what's in now, but I'll start again from November.

Just had to share my random tea with you which I'm calling veggie burrito's:

1/2 red onion
    1 red pepper
    2 tomatoes
    1 red or green chilli

Saute above in 2 tbsps oil

Add Cajun (or your preference) seasoning

When nearly done, crack in 2 small or 1 large eggs and mix in

Add some cheese - maybe 30g

Get 1 large or 2 small wraps and nuke for 20 seconds to warm them up

When eggs are done, mixture will be pinky - just divide between wraps in a line in the centre, sprinkle a bit more cheese over, roll up neatly and enjoy!

Very satisfying and a bit different!

LC

PS - just occured to me this is basically huevos rancheros in a wrap...huh guess I didn't invent it! :o
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    [QUOTE=elsiepac;56530217... veggie burrito's ...[/QUOTE]

just added it to the recipe index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Had quite a virtuous weekend spending wise, but then my dog collapsed and had to get emergency appointment at the vet. She's staying overnight, but they still don't know what's wrong. Bill is at £500 so far :-s
    Official DFW nerd 187 :T Highest debt Oct 06 £23,319 _pale_ Cleared end 09. :T
    Student again now and trying to fight the debts that are creeping up again :eek:
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    £10.81 spent today.

From morrisons;
    - 6 pints whole milk
    - dog food
    - 2 Braeburn apples
    - 6 bananas
    - top to toe wash for my son
    - tin of cat food

From lidl;
    - 12 boxes mini snack raisins
    - 1 can Pepsi (forgot my squash grr)
    - bread
    - chocolate
    - pretzels
    - half price turkey breasts.

I should have enough in to last the week but will need pet food and possibly milk.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,787
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    MrsCD - Thanks, DS is managing fine but I have to let him find out about laundry mountains and the problems drying for himself! I left the pair of them drilling things (so happy as piggies in poo!) while I battled across town traffic to the SM and back - on the way back I realised I had forgotten something so diverted to Mr Azbo for cat food and squash. I did DS's shopping (£30.08 - still to be reimbursed) and tried suggesting stir fry at £6.50 was too expensive but he assures me it does three meals and naturally, I ceded to his vast experience in managing his budget (1 week now) and butted out!
    When DD1 was at uni she discovered the joys of chilli made in a slow cooker to make a change from pasta. She still brought her washing home at weekends though!
    Not worth the round trip of 25 miles through roadworks so ranting on here is the temporary solution. (rant over - sorry).

Enjoy sunshine where you have it..
    SL
    Feel free to rant as much as you want :) We can take it!

No spends here today, so I'm thinking I might just make it to Tuesday when I do the wekly shop :)
    2024 Fashion on the ration 0/66 used
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport