Who doesn't have a stock cupboard

Comments

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2012 at 11:05AM
    Olly I always like to have salt in as its so handy for defrosting frozen paths and preserving if needed as well as for cooking :D I can't live without copious amounts of coffee..I just don't function so thats top of the list too and chilli flakes for some bizarre reason :rotfl:

Justamum just leafin' through my recipes so may be a while posting them all :eek: to start you off tho...

Storecupboard Fishcakes :D
    14oz can tuna or salmon (although I've made these with chilli mackerel too yum)
    1/2 cup dried milk
    1/2 cup instant mash (I usually buy the cheapest)
    Pinch of onion salt/dried onions/whatever you have in
    good size pinch of salt,pepper,and I usually add chilli flakes
    a little water to bind

*Now I don't completely drain the tin as I use fish in oliveoil/sunflower oil and it helps to bind these without the use of an egg.*

Flake fish and add dried milk,dried potato,and seasonings.
    Squidge together with a fork and add enough water so that the fishcakes stay in a decent patty shape..this varies as I use different fish but around about 4fl oz.
    I flour my hands,roll them into balls then flatten with my palm.

Heat a frying pan and using a bit of oil,fry til golden brown.

I've tried these with some of the dried onion I got from Approved and they were lovely,I blitzed the onion first til it was almost powdered
  • D&DD
    Doodle Bugs (hillbilly housewife)

1 cup instant potato flakes
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    2 tblspns oil
    1 tspn salt
    1 cup flour
    1 1/2 tspns baking powder

in a large bowl combine potatoes and water stir well add the oil and salt.
    Add flour and baking powder stir until a soft dough.
    Heat some oil in a pan and shape the potato mixture into patties.
    *I make mine into sausage shapes* Cook until browned.

more to follow you've got me started now :rotfl:
  • fuddle wrote: »
    P, exactly my cupboard staples. For me I'd add bread flour, yeast, salt and stardrops cleaner

Yes bread flour and yeast for me too, had forgotten them.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    D&DD wrote: »
    Justamum just leafin' through my recipes so may be a while posting them all :eek: to start you off tho...

Storecupboard Fishcakes :D

I forgot to mention that we're vegan :o That's such a good idea though - I could maybe use mashed up chickpeas instead of the fish.
  • Possession wrote: »
    Yes bread flour and yeast for me too, had forgotten them.

just been to aldi this morning the latest leaflet got some baking stuff in it they are doing thier own STRONG WHITE FLOUR @59p i have been off the bread but that and the yeast @63p for 8 isn't that bad
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • just been to aldi this morning the latest leaflet got some baking stuff in it they are doing thier own STRONG WHITE FLOUR @59p i have been off the bread but that and the yeast @63p for 8 isn't that bad

Thanks, I have quite a lot but might be forced to get more!
  • D&DD
    http://www.potatoes.com/recipesandnutrition.cfm?Section=D

this link has a few including few lush breads and desserts :D

Another thing you can do if just trying to use them up is to add a tablespoon of the powdered one in place of your bread flour when making bread I often do this if I find an odd packet has escaped and is a bit out of date..like years :rotfl:

I've got my nose in a new book I've been waiting for from the states which has just arrived called Put 'em up so forgive me keep disappearing!

More to come :D *you'll wish you never asked* ;):o:D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    D&DD wrote: »
    http://www.potatoes.com/recipesandnutrition.cfm?Section=D

this link has a few including few lush breads and desserts :D

I suppose being a potato commission they have to come up with all sorts of ways to use them up.

I've just had a flash of inspiration - I think - the Hairy Bikers did a potato bread on their Europe tour, and I haven't got round to making it yet. I should imagine instant mash would work just as well. I think I'll try that too. I might just be converted to instant mash yet :rotfl:
  • D&DD I lurve your apple braid recipe and have used a jar of apple sauce when I haven't got any apples and then I throw some walnuts on top :D
    So I trust your recipes wholeheartedly. Got any more grovel ;))
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Anything in cans works for me. Winter goes on for six months in my area, so if I don't have to go out in January when it's -35C, I'm happy.

Food prices vary across Canada. Up north in the NWT and Nunavut it's unbelievable even with northern living allowances and subsidies. 4L of milk is well over $16 and frozen food is hugely expensive. The CBC did an article on how the old ways were the best but as one Inuit woman said, nobody in her family has harpooned a seal in 40 years and she wouldn't know where to start! In Ontario it's much cheaper than out west. I live on the Prairies and it is much more expensive than in Ontario or even BC due to transportation costs.

But I suppose I benefit between December and March because I can keep frozen food out on the patio and nothing defrosts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure