June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone

I'm already up to £159.55 for June out of £450, so a bit cross with myself! That does include 2 magazines and some beers for last weekend, though, so that accounts for about £20. We do have raw mince, whole raw chicken, mince cooked as chilli, soup, few fish fingers and some other bits in the freezer from a while ago, plus store cupboard stuff so shouldn't have to spend too much over the weekend at least!

Made flapjack today, bet it's all gone by tonight! Will have to bake/cook over the next few days so we've got some almost ready meals in the fridge and freezer for when I start my new job, as I'll be quite late home twice a week.

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • jumblejack wrote: »
    Fantastic:T
    Well done on the pizzas and biscuit baking. There is no more rewarding feeling than a baking session that results in cheap future home made meals n treats:T
    Well done:j
    Thanks Jumblejack :T.
    Florenceem wrote: »
    If it was the Jamie Oliver recipe - I posted it. My Son gets 8-10 bases out of the pizza mix - some smaller for the children.

I don't know if it is but thanks anyway :)
    meg72 wrote: »
    Is this recipe on the front page, I cant seem to find it and would like it for my niece

I didn't get it from the front page but I'll repost it in a separate post.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,201
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi All just dropped in to update my spending. A trip to Mr A for a few bits brings the total spent this month so far to £147.55. Not too bad as I have meal planned to the 21st June. Will venture out to the garage to see what is in that freezer. The weathers awful today. Have a good weekend everyone. Mrs M
    2024 Decluttering 2292 ⭐️
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    cleggie wrote: »
    Morning!
    Have just updated my sig to reflect this mornings spend at Mr T. The only thing i need to get now is a big tub if marg for baking.

Today i am attempting JJ's herby/cheese bread. I presume its OK to use dried herbs instead of fresh?

Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight. I am using jamie olivers recipe for the meatballs as we always really love them:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/meatballs-pasta

Have a great day everyone!

Oh thanks for that link they look great!!!! Yummy- Ill add them to my meal plan spreadsheet!!!

I fear this spreadsheet will take over my life :rotfl:
    meg72 wrote: »
    Strange dinner for me last night, As I was going to visit my Mum in hospital and wouldnt be back till late I piled stew beef and veg into the SC before I went.

got back soaking wet, cold and starving to find I hadnt switched it on.
    so had banana on toast and THREE mugs of hot chocolate.

Poor you!! I would do somehting like this :o. On a lighter note your the only other person I have ever known to have banana on toast!! I LOVE it but everyone looks at me weird when I say I eat that :p

Right I know im totally going to blow the GC budget this month but I have learnt some lessons the biggest one being Meal Planning- I really think this is the answer to getting my spending under control

Based on next weeks meal plan I need very little from the SM tomorrow (I have made a list) and due to 2nd purse purchases need little cleaning stuff and no toiletries :D
    Without meal planning even though I have loads in I would have still brought tons of stuff tomorrow 'just in case'

So :T to the GC (and hope for better results money wise nxt month :rotfl:)
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Here is the recipe for pizza dough base, as copied from an earlier post:

Basic Pizza Dough Recipe Ingredients

1kilo flour (strong flour is best but plain flour will work too)

Tablespoon salt

Tablespoon sugar

2 sachets of Tesco easy yeast

650ml warm water

Easy method to prepare:

Mix the yeast and sugar into hand hot water.
    Leave for a couple of minutes.

Sieve flour and salt into a BIG bowl,

Make a hole in the flour and pour in the yeast solution.

Using a fork, mix as well as you can from the sides to the centre.

Then use your hands to form into a ball.

Plop it onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until it goes elastic.

(You can use it as it is without rising if you are in a rush but otherwise.....)

Pop into an oiled bowl and place somewhere warm for an hour to rise.

Then knead again for a minute or 2 and cut into 8 sections.
    Unused pizza dough can be chilled to use the next day or frozen individually to roll when needed.

I didn't use yeast from T£scos - it was still fine!! Thanks again to whoever posted it before!
    Grocery Challenge:
  • mrsmagpie
    mrsmagpie Posts: 25 Forumite
    I know it's late in the month but can I join this challenge?
    For years we lived on quick expensive dinners and had a permanantly empty fridge, freezer and cupboards. Now that I plan meals and cook from scratch I seem to have developed some crazy compulsion to keep my all storage full at all times!
    I have enough meals to see us through to the end of the month, bar milk, cheese, eggs and fruit and veg, but I have the urge to keep restocking whenever I use up anything from the store cupboard/freezer! I need help!

I've budgeted £240 for the month (2 adults, 2 starving teenboys) and have so far spent £66.33.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Well, the JJ herby bread went down a treat with the kids and me...it was yummy!
    I followed the recipe exctly but they were still a bit doughy in the middle. Not sure what i did wrong. If i had left them in the oven longer, then they woudl have been too brown on top...anyone know what i did wrong? JJ?
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Afternoon! Kitchenbunny reporting in with another NSD! Can't get used to this :D Bit of a question mark over tea at the mo because while I took the sausages out, they don't seem fully defrosted so will have to see. Oh well.

I've got to give the JJ Herby Bread a go :D

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • chelseabun_3
    chelseabun_3 Posts: 699 Forumite
    Hi all!

Just got back from holidays - it's 20 degrees cooler here than in Spain, which was a bit of a shock getting off the plane!

I haven't totalled up May's GC yet, but can I join in with June's - we'll go for £200 again please.

I'll never get through reading all the threads, so will just start again from here!

Hope everyone's ok. Take care CBx :)
  • Welcome to the challenge MrsMagpie :)
    Grocery Challenge:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories