April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• FrugalLina
    FrugalLina Posts: 466
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Well, looks like everyone is doing well - even if you don't hit target, just being conscious of what you are buying and making small improvements all add up.

I am still under budget, now at 42/60 and OK for groceries for another week, I think. I might buy some more veggies mid week and then any money left over will go towards a largish del from Asd@ at the beginning of next month.

Been selling stuff on Ebay, but much lower priced items now, though it is all helping.

Still no news on my job, I think they are playing for time. They know they couldn't manage without me but funding is still a bit up in the air. Ho-Hum.

Florenceem, I hope it went well today and that everyone coped, my best to you all.

This thread sure makes me hungry, BTW.
    31.5/100
  • Becks81
    Becks81 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Reporting a NSD today - my second of the week! :T

Cooked a roast chicken tonight, the girls had a leg each and I stripped the rest. Have planned a stir fry and plan to make a cajun soup on Saturday so 3 meals out of 1 (that is good going for me!). I also made a curry sauce tonight whilst the chicken was cooking, fried off all of the spices and felt like a right pro in the kitchen!! I had it with spaghetti and prawns and it didn't taste too bad so I have frozen the rest - I hope I can freeze spaghetti!!! :o and will count this as one of meals again for next week.

Only 10 days left of the month after tomorrow and I still have £65 of my budget left and have at least 4 meals planned for next week. I have faith that I will come in under budget for my first months attempt.
  • cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi all just had a delivery from Ts and quite pleased with myself getting a 55 quid shop down to 30. Fridge and freezer now well stocked and hoping now for a few Nsds.
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Went to MrAs today as car is back on road..£75 gone:eek:..but it is the 1st large shop of the month..not too bad for 8 people really

Had HM fish,chips and mushy peas for tea.....no shopping or cooking for 3 days for me as going away tomorrow (friends birthday and 4 of us are going to her mums caravan for a couple of days)..should be fun and a nice break...wont know what to do without the kids lol x
    So will be able to claim 3 NSDs when I get back...then will only buy what is needed for as long as possible...putting off another big shop as long as I can.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • abitofhelp wrote: »
    ald1 stock full fat coconut milk for 79p per can, i have had success by pouring the can of milk into a jug and adding a can of water. turns into 1/2 fat coconut milk x2. 1/2 the mix can be frozen to use another time (shake the container after defrosting to re mix).

Yay I've managed to multi quote :j. Thanks for this - I will stock up next time I'm near A!di and great tip re diluting with water - I'll definitely do that and freeze :).
    NickJW wrote: »
    It was actually just a naughty impulse buy whilst waiting for a connection when travelling this weekend. I had the new wasabi flavour one...my mum and sister hated it, but I found it had a very intriguing flavour :D

Florenceem: I hope that today goes as well as can be expected :(

Spend of £6.33 in Mr S today getting some lunch items for the rest of the week.

Yum - that does sound intriguing. My favourite is the chilli flavour - I'm totally addicted to that one (oh well, got to have some vices :D).
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Morning all.

Got some Lidl weekend sausages in the oven and am about to make a batter for some toad in the hole. Never got round to doing it last night as I am exhausted.

Will take some Bramley apples with me to mum n dads along with some whoopsied brandy butter (10p) and will probably make up a brandy apple bread n butter pudding using their eggs n bread that need using up.

If I don't get time (there oven is soooooo slow) then I will make a brandy apple 2 min microwave pudding:

2oz sr flour
    2oz butter (brandy butter in my case)
    2oz sugar
    1 egg.

This takes 2 mins to bake in the microwave for the lightest sponge.

I will caramelise my apples first and put them in the bottom of the pudding bowl before I add the above mix! Nice n easy. Nice n quick!!!

Boy. Today is gonna be nuts.

Must fly! See you later peeps. :wave:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had to go to DD's to look after DGS today and realised I hadnt allowed for travel costs, so it had to come out of the grocery budget, so todays spends are £5.50 taxi there (at 6am), £1.90 bus back, £5.70 in Lidl as I walked home from the bus stop.

Cereal for brekkie.

LO Tuna roll for lunch.

LO HM lasagne from yesterday for tea.

Loving the food photos but it does make me hungry seeing them! :D

Quick question!

I ordered some meat for the freezer from D*nald R*ssell, payment will go out of bank now but I have opted for delivery next month (no room in freezer) so should I include it in Aprils budget (when I spend it) or Mays (when I get it and can use it) or 1/2 and 1/2??? ;)

I don't mean to be cheeky but should that not come out of DD's budget and not yours ? Especially the taxi fare so early in the morning ?
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dinner was a success last night. Empty plates all round. The mango sauce made for a nice 'gravy' over the chicken. When we got back from school all the kids were saying ' hmmm! What's that smell? That smells fantastic. Whens dinner?' So happy with that.

Tonight will be a quick dinner, probably baked potatoes as they are out to cubs tonight.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi....i have got to go and pay some cheques into the bank today so will have a look in the green grocer just down the road....i went to m and s and got 2 meal deals yesterday...we really like the rotisserie style chickens so the meal deal is good for us when one is included...the chickens i got were priced at £8.95 and £8.51 and i got pudding and chips and a salad bowl...there seemed to be lots reduced in there but i only got the meal deals

have a nice day tess
    onwards and upwards
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would take it out of this months budget as it is this month you have to pay for it. But it is up to you and how your budget is at the moment.
    I had to go to DD's to look after DGS today and realised I hadnt allowed for travel costs, so it had to come out of the grocery budget, so todays spends are £5.50 taxi there (at 6am), £1.90 bus back, £5.70 in Lidl as I walked home from the bus stop.

Cereal for brekkie.

LO Tuna roll for lunch.

LO HM lasagne from yesterday for tea.

Loving the food photos but it does make me hungry seeing them! :D

Quick question!

I ordered some meat for the freezer from D*nald R*ssell, payment will go out of bank now but I have opted for delivery next month (no room in freezer) so should I include it in Aprils budget (when I spend it) or Mays (when I get it and can use it) or 1/2 and 1/2??? ;)
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills