April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    hi...sad day today as am going to a funeral...seems wrong to me when it is bright and sunny on such a day...am planning something simple for tea...a curry and maybe bombay potatoes if i can manage it
    the lidl offers include chicken thighs this weekend so will get some of those....cant remember what else

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    tessie bear - how awful for you i cant think of anything to say other than i will be thinking about you and i'm sure a lot of others will be.
    no spend day for me today and tomorrow but will be going ald1 saturday morning for pots, veg milk and biscuits.
    florensceem your bread looks wonderfull, i have a panny oh bought it approx 6-7 years ago for me and its been worth its weight in gold. i also use the dough setting for rolls and pizza dough.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Florenceem - that looks lovely. Im ashamed to say i have a massive box of catering size bread mixes that i bought from AF or somewhere, probably about 20, and just cant be assed to use them as they did not come out too good. Im sure i could get the hang of it. do you know if the unopened packs deteoriate (!!) im just thinking, home made pizza things, tuna cheese slices etc, i could really cut the grocery bill.
    I would just try one pack and see how it turns out. If it doesn't rise much - I would try again with a little added yeast - jmho.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    abitofhelp wrote: »
    tessie bear - how awful for you i cant think of anything to say other than i will be thinking about you and i'm sure a lot of others will be.
    no spend day for me today and tomorrow but will be going ald1 saturday morning for pots, veg milk and biscuits.
    florensceem your bread looks wonderfull, i have a panny oh bought it approx 6-7 years ago for me and its been worth its weight in gold. i also use the dough setting for rolls and pizza dough.
    What is it about the panny that makes it so much better than other makes of BM please? I may save for one - when my BM goes to BM pastures anew - must replace it.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    All the best, Tessiebear for today :(

We are having a vegetable bake for tea. It's ready for the oven but is a bit too full. Have had to put it on a turkey tray do that it won't make a mess of the oven.

OH wanted to do a curry but that would have meant taking a huge amount of meat of the freezer when we have vegetables to use up in the fridge.

I was first in the kitchen though :D

The veggie bake is made using whoopsied.... Potatoes (mashed with butter & grated cheese -also whoopsied), broccoli, spring greens, sweetcorn, onions, celery (including the leafy tops!!), carrots and white cabbage.
    I added chopped toms, stock and seasoning then assembled like a cottage pie with the rest of the cheese grated on top.

OH won't be chuffed as we have cheese n onion pie yesterday served with yet more veg so will be hankering for his dead protein :eek:

For lunch we are having ciabatta (whoopsied) with tikka chicken (whoopsied) and salad... Yep, also whoopsied.

I'm taking the kids to a nature reserve then going straight to the hospital this afternoon so need a bite to eat that can be taken with us. Snacks will be Kipling lemon slices (whoopsied to 10p from Asda) and wedges of oranges (also whoopsied) and a flask of cocoa.

Another mega cheap day of meals and will be yet another no spend day, woohoo:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • abitofhelp
    abitofhelp Posts: 483 Forumite
    Florenceem wrote: »
    What is it about the panny that makes it so much better than other makes of BM please? I may save for one - when my BM goes to BM pastures anew - must replace it.

no idea what the diff would be as it is the only bread maker i have owned. when the time comes to buy a new bread maker i would certainly buy a panny again, it has been redesigned though since oh bought me mine. the rolls i made yesterday were fab i had an opened pack of wholemeal flour so i mixed half white and half wholemeal. we did our usual thing when they came out of the oven, split one and spread with butter and shared. bliss.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • Just googled the panny BM and there is more than one!!!:eek::eek:

Which model does everyone have and is it worth paying the extra? Think I might invest in one of these from my 3P instead of the Actifry as we go through loads of bread:D
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    This was in the weekly mse email, so probably lots of you know about it. Its a free tastecard, you just follow the link and sign up, it only takes about 20 seconds and you get a free taste card sent to you and you can get buy 1 get one free or 50% off a group meal in some cases. Here is the link http://www.tastecard.co.uk/trial/3/april

Thanks for that - I had seem the link yest but didn't do anything about it. Done it now!!
    debbym wrote: »
    On the up side decided to use the lefover roast pork from dinner yesterday to slice up for sarnies instead of buying sandwich meat from the shop. 505 g sandwich meat for free instead of £6 for the equivalent from MrM.

Bargain! Although it wasn't free, but I know what you mean!! Could you also use some for another meal? Eg, if you have a steamer, put spuds in the bottom, veg in the middle and the meat at the top. Make some gravy, and voila, a dinner!!
    Just googled the panny BM and there is more than one!!!:eek::eek:

Which model does everyone have and is it worth paying the extra? Think I might invest in one of these from my 3P instead of the Actifry as we go through loads of bread:D

From what I can gather (I am saving for a panny), it makes bread that is less heavy and doughy. My cookworks one is only ok, and I would much rather have decent homemade bread, rather than stuff that tastes really heavy, IFKWIM. Friends have the panny, and that seems to be the concensus.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,441
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another couple of spends to declare totalling £9.14. Dont you just hate it when you run out of one item, in this case fresh garlic, I do have some minced garlic in the fridge but in some dishes for me only the fresh will do. Went shopping and came out with about 10 items :mad:, in fairness some of them were reduced and will be used....eventually, but now only got £20.49 till the end of the month :eek:.

Best go and update signature while I remember.
  • S-I_am
    S-I_am Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi Mrs Moneypenny,

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the recipe, what with Easter and everthing else there never seems to be enough hours in the day.

Anyway, Enjoy :)

Salted Caramel Ice Cream
    Adapted from the Barefoot Contessa.

The night before the Ice cream is needed make the custard base and put the relevant bits of the ice cream maker in the freezer.

The custard base
    4 egg yolks
    160g sugar
    240ml warm milk
    480ml double cream

Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar together in a bowl until the mixture is pale yellow. When the sugar has dissolved pour in the warm milk and whisk. Then pour into a saucepan and cook on a very low heat for 3-5 mins stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
    Strain the mixture into a bowl sitting in an ice-bath (a larger bowl half full of cold water and ice cubes). This will stop the cooking progress.
    Stir in the double cream. When the mixture is cool cover with cling film and chill in the fridge overnight.

The next day make the caramel.

Caramel
    280g sugar
    180ml double cream
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Add the sugar to a large saucepan and heat over a medium heat. Do not stir otherwise the sugar will become grainy. Once the sugar has liquified continue heating it until it is amber in colour.
    Turn the heat to low and very slowly add the cream whilst stirring constantly otherwise the mixture will cease. If this does happen, carry on stirring the mixture over the low heat and the sugar will re-melt.
    Once the cream and caramel have mixed take off the heat, stir in the salt and then chill the whole mixture over an ice- bath.
    The caramel must be cold before adding it to the custard base, otherwise the eggs will scramble. Once cold mix the caramel and the custard base mixture together. Add the vanilla. Stir. Then pour everything into an ice cream maker and churn.

Because of the high sugar content Caramel Ice cream remains soft set however long it's churned and frozen. Which just means you never have to wait to eat it :)

Enjoy

Sx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family