Charge Right Ltd - reclaim money

Options

Comments

• SamShornoff
    Options
    Further Update (to my post of 20/02) - I was called today by a different gent from Charge Right ! When I said 'No worries - I'm waiting for my refund' he explained that they were now under new management, and that their service was now FREE !

Unfortunately, he then asked why I had wanted a refund, and instead of hanging up, I tried to explain . . . he assured me there was no way that I would ever be able to claim on a PPI, whether I had intended to take it out or not. He sounded quite annoyed and rather snappily said "It is up to you if you want to waste your money" when he finally hung up some while later, as I continued to argue that I would be delighted to have my £199 + VAT back.

I have not heard this take on PPIs before - is it possible ? What I do know is that I did intend to take out a payment protection (costing £15 per month to cover mortgage payments of around £250, for a ten-year mortgage term) - of course, it remains to be seen whether I would be able to claim, should I need to, before paying off the mortgage !
  • Haggru
    Haggru Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi

I just want to warn people especially older or more vulnerable people re this 'company'.

I received a cold call on my mobile last week from them and they insisted they would reclaim on mis-sold mortgages with no money upfront! They would take 36% if the claim was successful. I stupidly gave my address and they mentioned a small administration fee if I did not return the completed paperwork within 14 days. When I spoke to 'Quality Control' this small fee was actually £50.00!

When the pack arrived I could clearly see that the claim could not be processed until Charge Ltd received 'cheques'. I immediately went to cancel and on ringing the Customer Service number was told that there was 'no-one to take my call' and to leave a message. This worried me as I could not directly speak to anyone so I left two messages.

I was later rung by Charge Right and told that I would have to write a cancellation letter and return the paperwork or I would have to pay the administration fee of £50.00 as per terms and conditions. I could not just cancel on the telephone. I put forward the points that they had contacted me. I had the right to cancel from a 7 day cooling off period. There was no reference to me on the paperwork and I hadn't signed anything. I did now want to incur expense posting the pack back!

There was no backing down or manager's discretion. I felt harrassed and bullied by being forced to do something I didn't want to do! I have scrutinised their literature and can see no terms and conditions relating to cancelllation at all. Unfortunately I am also scared that I will incur the £50 fee if I don't send it back. All because I innocently answered my mobile phone and accepted an offer I know I shouldn't have. :o

Shold I send the pack back or risk a possible bill? Do they have the right to charge me if I don't send it back?

Please help?
  • LindaFreeman_2
    Options
    Hi,
    I think i've been conned by this company.
    Can anyone tell me if i can claim the fees back as i paid by credit card?
    I can't get holdof anyone on the phone. Up until last month they answered and seemed to be genuine, but now there is only an answer phone message saying there is no one to take the call. This has been the same for three days.
  • minafon
    Options
    Too late, I think. I have already parted with the £199 in November. Was told in the region of £30K too. Was also assured they were not the crooked Charge Right impersonating them?? Had no trouble getting through until 2 weeks ago when I was told I had no claim and they would issue a refund!!! Have not been able to get an answer ever since, left loads of messages, no response though. Got through to a sales office about 4 weeks ago lad gave me a different number, but this is the one I can only get answering machine and cannot find that lad's 'sales' number now!!!! Guess I kiss goodbye to £199, paid over the phone by debit card??
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would simply ask any company asking for an advance fee if they would be willing to accept 20% of any funds recovered........
  • koexelek
    koexelek Posts: 7,847 Forumite
    Options
    £199 to get £32000.

That's odds of over 160-1

I doubt if many people would bet on a "hot tip" horse at those odds:eek:

These people are quite clever, £199 is the sort of figure people will " write off due to experience".... and that is what usually happens.
    I am a Mortgage adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • davidwelsh_2
    Options
    To all who are contacted by charge right .Hang up!they have £720.00 (yes that is correct)of my money as a so called security deposit to them. Some joke. They do not answer the telephone. rings then cuts of.I believe they may have some kind o lock on people who have paid cash to them.

No reply to e-mails If only I had found this site in February 2012
  • Muvvergoose
    Options
    davidwelsh wrote: »
    To all who are contacted by charge right .Hang up!they have £720.00 (yes that is correct)of my money as a so called security deposit to them. Some joke. They do not answer the telephone. rings then cuts of.I believe they may have some kind o lock on people who have paid cash to them.

No reply to e-mails If only I had found this site in February 2012

David, i tried to send you a private message but it wouldn't go through for some reason. I may have some info for you so could you message me so that i am able to reply to you. Thanks.
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I too seem to have been yet another victim. Just heard from the Claims Management Regulator this morning that Charge Right Ltd voluntarily surrended their CRM licence on 5th April !!!!

So like hundreds of others, we are now left totally in the dark
  • landrover12
    Options
    Does any body have an update regarding Charge Right ? I am new to this forum so would be greatfull for some help ?

kr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport