April 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,819
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Florenceem, I just want to say that I think your meal portions are terrific! The meal is not too large and the veggies take up quite a high proportion of the complete meal:T. Good example.

Well we had leftover spicy chicken today with a quick biriani (I also added leftover pineapple chunks to it when it was done!). This was accompanied by a huge amount of leftover mixed salad from last night's spread. It was yummy as I added avocado chunks etc from the Asda haul of 10p bargains:T
    Feel satisfied but not stuffed.

Need to shake myself up and get to Tescos as I have a £2 off a £20 spend to use up and a £5 off a £40 spend too. Need to plan carefully as I am exceeding my targets at the moment:eek: All I need is milk as we are very well stocked but these vouchers are too good to waste. Will stock up further on none perishables. Hopefully will get a few Easter Monday whoopsies too.

Have a happy Monday all!
    Portion sizes have increased in this country over the years. People couldn't afford much meat years ago so filled up on home grown veggies. Mr F says he would not be alive today or if he was - would be poorly/in a wheelchair - if he had stayed obese. We have some usual size dinner plates and some smaller ones - I use the small size until we run out of them - only rinse the dishwasher - run it when full.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 1277/2024 March - 1895/171
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 First 4 Week Period £11.75/£100 2nd £33.71/£100 3rd £57.13/£100 4th £3.01/£100 NSD - 55
    2024 Craft Makes - 104 Craft Spends 2024 £186.95/£500
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    By the way, florenceem, we used to have the same plates (a pressie off OH's sister) and the same place mats!!!!!!!!

Right. I'm off.

Whoopsie gun is calling me.....

Get out now guys if you want the reductions. Shops close at 6!!!!

:wave:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Reporting a spend of £24.71 in L!dl today.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Jumblejack- do you fancy sharing your biriyani recipe please?? I have been looking for a good one for a while now! Pretty please?
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Oh how we spend our bank holidays! I went to !id! too and spent £30.81. Stocked up on loo roll (£6.99 for 24), kitchen roll, eggs, filter coffee. All the things you don't want to buy cus it bumps up your total! Oh, and some chocolate and crisps fell in too, which was rather disgraceful as I was all by myself!:o

Have just caught up with the last 3 pages (must get back to checking in every day) so thanks everyone for the tip offs on latest offers. Must try and get some beans whilst they're on offer at a£das as our bean mountain has gone.

Enjoy the last few hours of the weekend everyone. It's still free listings on fleabay so I know what I'll be doing later!:D
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • supersally01
    supersally01 Posts: 785 Forumite
    Today was a NSD as got back from my holidays at lunch time, defrosting some milk, will make my own bread using my wrights mix, and HM Spag Boll from the freezer for tea.
    Need to meal plan for this week, as the kids are still off, but should be able to empty freezer a bit more.
    Hope Easter has been good for all,
    Sally.
  • hm71_2
    hm71_2 Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    had a spend of £60.22 this week so £19.78 under budget so far but long week ahead :(
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • jumblejack
    Just did a big shop £31.65 (£40.65 before coupons). Will update signature.
    Got a few bargains:

Tesco value pasta quills are now 15p!
    Lovely pink silicone set of whisk and spatula, 49p
    Nouvelle toilet tissue (x9), £2.50
    Tesco classic coffee £2.79 for 300g

The rest of the shop was bulk purchases of soya, skimmed milk cartons, cereals and other none perishables with the exception of some amazing grocery reductions! 15K of spuds for 45p, etc:T

Right. I'm off to update siggy....
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Me again! Forgot to say a big thank you to the poster who mentioned saving crusts for bread pudding a couple of pages back. When I was at school, in the days before mobile phones, we all had emergency 2ps in our money belts which we would spend on bread pudding when it was reduced at the end of the day at the cake shop. Yum yum yum! I had forgotten all about it!

There's a recipe on page 1 so guess what I'll be making at the weekend?! So glad the kids never eat their crusts!:D
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • jumblejack
    edited 9 April 2012 at 5:14PM
    cleggie wrote: »
    Jumblejack- do you fancy sharing your biriyani recipe please?? I have been looking for a good one for a while now! Pretty please?

Of course!!!!

It isn't really a recipe as much as a method....

JJ's Easy Peasy, biriani method:

1) Fry off onions in a deep pan until caramelised.
    2) Add whichever spices/curry blend you have to hand to the pan.
    3) Add whichever veggies need using up and coat in the spices and fry off for a minute.
    4) Last of all, add a mug of rice and also fry until coated in spices.
    5) Add 2 mugs of water/leftover stock and bring to the boil.
    6) Pop on the lid and leave to simmer very gently until all the liquid has been absorbed.

Job's a good un:T

You can't go wrong with this method. :)
    If you want to add raisins, nuts, coriander, seeds, etc, go for it.

You can use the same method with lentils for a daal dish too.

Easy peasy, squeeze of lemon ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills