Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• Oh forgot to add as well:-
    Sorry can't remember who posted it originally but I skimmed off 1 pint from a 4 pint to freeze too.
    So I bought two small 1 pint milks and 3 4 pints of milk, used the 1 pints first to give me the empty containers, then took 1 pint off the 4 pinters to refill them and topped the 4 pint up with water. No one has noticed and I have 2 spare pint milks in freezer!!

Also thought the empty 1 pints would be great for freezing chicken stock as a lot of recipes ask for a pint of stock.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • Hi everyone, not posted for over a week and its taken me ages to catch up. Really not doing well at the minute. Just totted all the receipts so far and ive got £30 to last me til next friday (24th as its OH payday). To be honest I dont need a lot, the freezer is packed but its going to be a struggle. Ive come to the conclusion that I actually enjoy food shopping especially finding all the best deals/bargains/whoopsies. Based on this im going to try weekly shopping (£50 a week) instead of one big shop at the beginning of the month then struggling for the reminder.

On the plus side ive had 5 NSD which is encouraging. Trying to do a meal plan to cover half term and also get in some baking with dd's as theyve decided the want to make daddy a heart shaped cake for valentines day.

2nd purse is going well at the minute as well. Dh also treated us to the dine in for £20 meal from m and s for Tuesday so looking forward to that.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    £12.44 spent at Sainsbury's today on spread, honey, mayonnaise, 2 x cheese, 2 x body spray, jelly, eggs, bananas, clementines and bread.

I managed to defrost the small freezer section in my fridge this morning and listed everything in there. Some of it i've worked in to meals already, but there are 2 mystery items! One I suspect is mashed swede (but could be chicken stock), but I have no idea what the second one is.

Also moved some bits round in my main freezer and have taken the buttermilk I made a few weeks ago out to make some scones later....which will no doubt find their way back into the freezer!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Just back from a lovely walk:D sorry if it's horrid where you are but it's lovely here and not too cold - debating whether to put the washing out ....

Picked the left overs from last nights' chicken and made some stock. About to make soup when I discovered I've no carrots:eek: and no "hard" potatoes ... popped into Mr C and the carrots were OK at 33p but £1.45 for 750g of new potatoes:eek::eek:.

Still it's handy and that was still cheaper than having to go to the sm and use 18 miles of fuel....

Chicken & Leek Risotto for dinner (one of my favs:)) so that'll be all the stock gone!

Now working my way through a really unhealthy lunch of mini-muffins - they were whoopsied & I just couldn't resist:o.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • baroley
    baroley Posts: 40 Forumite
    Like you p-pincher, I have just had a tot up and have £60 to last 'til the end of my month (24th). The trouble is I have a week off work and a friend is coming to stay. This has prompted me to do a stock check, so will be using lots from the cupboard and the freezer. I must start to label leftovers, there could be a few surprises!

I have not done nearly so well this month, but i have not been keeping up on here, maybe the two are connected? Just going to spend some lovely time catching up on posts, and then do some baking. What a lovely thing to do on such a cold Sunday!

Keep warm everybody!
    Grocery challenge month runs from 25th to 24th
    January £100. £96.20
    February £100. £1.64
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    123budget wrote: »
    Also used up more carrots in a soup - but bunged in a whole red chilli and my throat was on fire after a bowl of it. DH said it was tasteless - just spicy for the sake of it but I will finish it off today - don't want to throw it.

Try adding some grated ginger to the carrot soup - it just lifts it and gives it the warmth you need in this weather.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,550
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    edited 12 February 2012 at 1:38PM
    Hi again

Just quickly here is the falafel burger recipe I used on Friday. Rather than making 4 big burgers I made 8 smaller ones. It's actually more substantial than I thought it would be! I skipped the tomato salsa as didn't want to spend the money, so I had the burgers in pitta with Value crispy salad and tomato and cucumber slices. It was a right mess but very nice! Originally from Good Food:

Falafel Burgers
    Ingredients

2x 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    handful of flat-leaf parsley or curly parsley
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp harissa paste or chilli powder (I used harissa as had one open)
    4 tbsp plain flour
    4 tbsp sunflower oil ( I used 1 tbsp olive oil. Next time I would use 2)
    2 small or 1 large red onion , roughly chopped
    toasted pitta bread
    200g tub tomato salsa , to serve (didn't bother)
    green salad , to serve

Method

Pat the chickpeas dry with kitchen paper.
    Tip into a food processor along with the onion, garlic, parsley, spices, flour and a little salt.
    Blend until fairly smooth, then shape into four patties with your hands.
    Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the burgers, then quickly fry for 3 mins on each side until lightly golden. (I thought they needed a fair bit more than this)
    Serve with toasted pittas, tomato salsa and a green salad.

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I decided to use up all the vouchers and coupons that would be going out of date soon at Mrt. Total was £45.75 used 21 different coupons and got it down to £11.19. Should get a JTD for £11.38 back. It took a while to compare items with MrA and put together a list but definitely paid off. Nice lazy Sunday watching the rugby.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    afternoon :D

NSD for me today

made a beef casserole for lunch and filled it with bendy veg , it was delish, everyone enjoyed it and there is another meals worth that i am cooling and freezing , i also made double the amount of mash and will freeze that too , it will make a quick meal in the week . the good thing is i have another pack of the casserole steak in the freezer so i know i have another 2 meals there as well :j:j

its half term next week and i find when they are all in (DD's and DH as he is a teacher ) they really hit the cupboards hard and i end up spending more as they snack more . i need to keep on top by making some cakes and biccies

welcome to the newbies , its lovely on here and there is a wealth of help and advice :)
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 February 2012 at 2:49PM
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Hi again

Just quickly here is the falafel burger recipe I used on Friday. Rather than making 4 big burgers I made 8 smaller ones. It's actually more substantial than I thought it would be! I skipped the tomato salsa as didn't want to spend the money, so I had the burgers in pitta with Value crispy salad and tomato and cucumber slices. It was a right mess but very nice! Originally from Good Food:

Falafel Burgers

Ingredients

2x 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    handful of flat-leaf parsley or curly parsley
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp harissa paste or chilli powder (I used harissa as had one open)
    4 tbsp plain flour
    4 tbsp sunflower oil ( I used 1 tbsp olive oil. Next time I would use 2)
    2 small or 1 large red onion , roughly chopped
    toasted pitta bread
    200g tub tomato salsa , to serve (didn't bother)
    green salad , to serve

Method

Pat the chickpeas dry with kitchen paper.
    Tip into a food processor along with the onion, garlic, parsley, spices, flour and a little salt.
    Blend until fairly smooth, then shape into four patties with your hands.
    Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the burgers, then quickly fry for 3 mins on each side until lightly golden. (I thought they needed a fair bit more than this)
    Serve with toasted pittas, tomato salsa and a green salad.

LC

That's how I do mine :D I prefer chilli powder to harissa. I use 2 tins of chickpeas and then not quite double the rest of the ingredients as that is what works for us.

Had to run into MrT's after church to get double cream and a loaf of bread. I was very good and that was all I spent, straight in to back for the cream and along the back wall and up the second to last aisle for the bread, then straight down to the front and the self service tills to pay, £1.90.

The cream was because I forgot it on the MrT order and the loaf was because I was going to put it on last night but DH said just do it in the morning and then we both forgot to do it before church <rolls eyes>
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills