June 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Hi everyone

Mothership - love and hugs for you and yours

Hippiechiq and Spiggle - missing you both and hope you are ok

Need to update siggy, not been spending much as we are away tomorrow to St Ives so trying to keep the spending down in order to have some money for the hol but........... DH is having a bad time sleeping - the bed is very uncomfortable and as we can not afford a new one I'm going to buy a Memory Foam Topper and hope that it does the job and cures his constant morning backache [half price in DunElm]

Have a cracking week everyone, no illnesses please

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • 69chick
    69chick Posts: 544 Forumite
    Hi all ...I am quite excited as I have just won a 2nd hand kenwood chef on ebay...was round at a friends the other day and she was using hers that she has had for years..I like baking but it seemed to make things easier and also ds was helping and it was safer for him...sooo looking forward to using it..

Had another spend in Mr T's today (mainly stuff I couldn't get or forgot yesterday in A!di) will add to my sig later...

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend,min unfortunately is blighted by hayfever,but I am looking forward to going to see a show (footloose) with my mum later :D
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 June 2011 at 2:00PM
    I know I can be a bit of a nag about meal planning and shopping lists :D but if you want some other opinions take a look at Feeling Strange about my shop tomorrow - it was a separate thread now merged with Meal Planning

... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • missblonde
    missblonde Posts: 41 Forumite
    Just done next weeks shopping at Morrisons. Bought more than I needed as OH decided to invite his mum round for lunch so I got some french stick and cheeses etc and we were supposed to have friends round and have a takeaway but they can't make it so got something quick for dinner. Came to £52.73 so still less than normal and I shouldn't need to do any top-up shopping in the week, fingers crossed!
    "Born to shop, forced to work!"

• scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Finally got round to logging on to post Cumberland Pie recipe, it's from "Second Helpings from the Dinner Lady" cookbook:-

900g (2lb) potatoes, peeled and quartered
    50ml (2floz) milk, warmed
    25g (1oz) butter
    450g (1lb) good sausages, chopped into small pieces
    olive oil
    225g (8oz) onions, peeled and diced
    1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
    225g (8oz) carrots, peeled and diced
    4 peppers - any colour, deseeded and sliced
    a pinch of dried thyme
    2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with water and boil until soft, mash with the milk and butter and leave in the Saucepan.
    Put the Sausage pieces in a large ovenproof dish, big enough to hold all the ingredients, lightly brown in the oven for 10 mins.
    Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions, garlic, carrots, peppers with the thyme until soft, about 8 mins, then add the Tomatoes and their juices. Stir the mixture and bring to the boil. Pour the mixture over the Sausages in the large oven dish then spoon the mash over, fork it so that it covers the sausage mixture.
    Pop back in the oven and bake for 40 mins.

A perfect all-in-one type dish but you could serve it with more veg on the side, grated cheese on top of the mash etc etc.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Had a naughty shop at the Summer Fete. £8.46. But very good quality local meat.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    rosieben wrote: »
    I know I can be a bit of a nag about meal planning and shopping lists :D but if you want some other opinions take a look at Feeling Strange about my shop tomorrow - it was a separate thread now merged with Meal Planning

ROTFLMAO! THATS WHAT I WAS DOING for the first two months of the GC.

We really DONT need a lot of the stuff we think we do, an unplanned shopping trip is what the SM want (all these things laid out to tempt you). My food shop is 1/4 of what it used to be.

I've also reached the point where I hardly need to spend anything, I've been managing on around £1- £2 per day on top up shops for bread milk fruit and veg.

The 2nd Purse sits with money in it just waiting for an opportunity or something I'm running low on. It takes a while to build up a stock, but once you do you need less for your weekly shop.
    I've managed to save £2,900 since October, all that money used to go on FOOD.
    I used to go to the SM every few days, now I only go when I'm after a special offer, and I go to all the different ones, while I'm there I look for opportunities (whoopsies) mostly fruit and veg, then I plan our meals round them.

I've never spent so little , got so much, and had so much FUN doing it.
    Go out with the mindset 'How little can I spend!'

Lasagna tomorrow (I will write the recipe and post it).
    Scotsaver Love the Cumberland pie recipe, will definitely try that one.

BIG HUGS to all that need them.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • *Twizzle*
    *Twizzle* Posts: 168 Forumite
    Afternoon :D

Shop for the week has been done £35.50 :D Although £5.50 over budget i am still pleased :D

Tweezle x
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Hello everyone :hello:

toddles* I'm sorry to read you have gestational diabetes hun.
    I'm afraid I don't know much about it myself, but there is a thread HERE which might be of help to you.
    It's regarding Type 2 Diabetes, but there may be members on there who have some knowledges of gestational diabetes.
    Also, you may have already looked on it, but the DIABETES UK WEBSITE may be helpful too

I'm fine(ish) thanks LTS Chloris & Helen :kisses3:
    DD is still having stomach problems and in a lot of pain, and it's really dragging her down both physically and mentally.
    She had a gastroscopy last Wednesday which didn't shed any light on the situation, and she has an Ultrasound Scan this coming Wednesday to check her gall bladder for stones. I just wish we could get to the bottom of it.

Anyhoo - back to the GC.
    Cumberland Pie sounds lush scotsaver, so thanks for posting :)

I'm struggling with the 2nd purse. Because money is so tight, I have difficulty finding the £10 to add to it every month and I have difficulty paying it back when I use something. I'll give it a couple more months and then I'll have to concede that I either don't have the right mind set/understanding/enough money to do it or all three.

Came in roughly £2 under budget last month, which is better than over and really can't be improved upon, I don't think. So Mrs Mcawber could you put
    Hippeechiq down for £240 for June please.

Good Luck for June everyone :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • afternoon everyone! and a special hello to any international football widows out there!

just a quick mention to anyone looking to buy non-bio washing powder. Mr. A has a deal on at the moment for a 52 wash box of Persil for £5, which i think is quite a good deal!

hope everyone's having a nice (if slightly overcast) day!
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business