April 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    hippeechiq - hugs for both of you
    Mothership - Hugs for you and yours - tough times but you seem to be coping admirably, well done
    Crazybeautiful - welcome and well done on the cooking
    Spiggle - thinking of you hun and hoping all is ok
    Muffinman - hugs and don't be embarrassed - I've been there too

New people - welcome and hi

Have updated my siggy with recent spends, I need to do a decent shop but don't have any money till Weds, oh well, we'll get by. I've had to pay the balance on our cheap hol [caravan in Cornwall for 1 week in June for £204] and had to buy loads of school uniform - both kiddies starting new schools after Easter hols as I was very unhappy with the school that they are in at the mo, also had to tax my car so any spare money we had has gone!!! Talk about robbing Paul to pay Peter, dreading the next 2 weeks as we have no money, the kids are off and they need entertaining and to get anywhere round here you need to have a car as the local transport system is carp................ and breath lol.

Off to find recipes from Rosiebens list to see what I can make for the kiddies and find recipes that they can make

Happy No Shopping everyone

Helen x

PS Angel - hope all is well with you and yours
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    destroyerofdebt2011 Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2011 at 8:15PM
    lol. great stuff!! but did you get any flour?? lol. :rotfl:

yes i did lol bag of plain and self raising in fact :rotfl:

Also reporting £2.20 spend on effectively weight gaining but totally motivating naughty stuff.

Have enough in for the weekend now so i will try to be gd till monday and my shiney new weekly allowance.

Hugs to all if u need them or not
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Have just had 2 NSDs in a row, but spent £12.35 on Tuesday, on stuff that I didn't really need for this month's meals, but were good bargains. Quite cross with myself - looks like the old me had a bit of a show. Still, onwards and upwards - will not go shopping if I don't need to. Total now stands at £134.37, so only £15.63 left. I'd love to say I'll be able to do it as all I need is a bit of fruit, milk and bread (although got some in freezer and could make own), but I know myself, and I won't be able to do it, I'm sure. Grrrrrrrrrr...

I do sometimes have to take myself to one side and have a stern talk with myself about feeling sorry for myself. It's not like I have any real issues at the moment, like some of you guys. Hugs, by the way, been praying for all who need help at this time.

Had spag bol from the freezer tonight. It's really nice being able to see everything in one freezer, AND for that freezer to be indoors! It was supposed to be roast pork, but that hadn't defrosted in time, so we're having it tomorrow. Already made the lunches for tom - I'm having a salad, as Friday is the only day I can sit down properly for my 1/2 hour lunch break. The other days, I have to eat lunch in the car as I have to go to the childminder, pick up my son and then drive him to school, which is incidentally where I work! On Fridays his grandparents do the run for me, so yeah!! I'm so looking forward to spending some time with my children over the hols.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • mrspauper
    mrspauper Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hello,

Just thought I'd let everyone know about a quick & cheap meal I cooked the other evening. 1kg of frozen squid was £4 in the fishmongers, so I made it into calamari:
    season 200g flour (I used self-raising to make the batter puffy but plain flour would have been crisper) with salt, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. Slice the squid, toss in the flour, dip in beaten egg, fry for 1 minute in oil which is 180 degrees. I also made cheaty garlic mayonnaise: spoonful of Helmans, crushed garlic clove, juice of half a lemon. Served with a salad. Yum!
    We ate about half of it, so the next night I made a curry with 2 onions, 3 garlic cloves, grated inch of ginger, tsp each of salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground tumeric...fried...added a chopped chilli, bag of spinach, tinned tomatoes, tomato tin of water, new potatoes....cooked until potatoes tender...added green beans, green pepper, and leftover calamari. The curry was quite liquid so it soaked into the calamari batter and was lovely spicy-squidgy. If anyone's interested I'll type the recipes out properly with weights etc.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,677
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    £39.36 for me this week. I am generally finding it easy to keep to my slimming world menus, lose weight and keep to the budget. Oh, and A$da had the El Paso enchillada kits for £1 this week. I've bought a couple as they come in handy for unexpected visitors. Take care all of you.
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    Just heard that my youngest sisters daughter is not allowed to attend her gran's funeral, she's distraught! It looks like I'll need to send them both flowers. I cant understand why anyone could hurt close family members like that. The short period I knew her, she played mind games with me, she once invited a friend of hers to stay with me for two months with her 5 kids+ herself and DGD 7 people,without asking me, I had ME at the time, when I said no, she fell out with me. Next I heard was she was waiting for me to get famous and she was going to the papers to sell her story. LOL, that was it for me. It was her that dumped all her weans, I hadn't done anything. There were a lot more equally bizarre incidents. In the end I had to tell her I couldn't have anything to do with her until she forgave herself for what she'd done. Her bitterness and anger terrified the life out of me and my family.

We went to M*******s for fish and chips £8 +2 free children's meals fed four of us, a wee break from cooking.
    I'm REALLY pleased with myself, I didn't buy anything else :T:T
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mrspauper I've added your calamari recipe to the index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Spent £142 so far, just under half of my budget and now done half of my weekly shops for April, so generally looking ok.

It's the shopping in between the weekly shops that seem to be my problem! The end of April seems a looooong way away!
    MayGC:£118/£360 April:£283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:£117
    Piggybank:£1,850
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2011 at 8:56AM
    Darn it - spent loads recently: £5.25 on Wednesday at school on veggie hot dogs and a packet of crisps for DD, £9 (!!!!) on icecreams yesterday and £3.40 on fish and chips yesterday :(:( Oh and £3.?? on some spelt pasta and vegan pesto so that me, DD and OH can all enjoy it :)

We have barely any fruit and vegetables left in the house and have friends coming to stay on Sunday for a couple of days. Grrr. I have to get through the month sensibly, I don't have any option to do otherwise!

Phew! Just found some fruit in the fridge so that's okay, and will manage with the bendy carrots and courgettes til our friends get here. Not too bad after all....
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    Mothership it sounds like you are better off not worrying about her. Focus on building relationships with the living. Num Num on the fish and chips.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport