February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• guccigoo
    guccigoo Posts: 483 Forumite
    hi all been busy so not posted for a while, ive been good in sticking to my meal plan which includes new recipes, i dont this one yesterday its called Spicy Sausage pasta

2tbsp olive oil
    6-8 sausages
    1 onion chopped finely
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    400g tin chopped tomatoes
    1tsp oregano
    350g penne pasta
    1tbsp red pesto

heat oil in frying pan and cook the sausages till browned for about 8 mins on a high heat, remove and cut into chunks.
    fry onion and garlic for 5 mins, add tomatoes, sausage pieces and oregano, season to taste. Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Cook the pasta in boiling water till tender.
    When sauce has thickened, stir in the pesto. Drain the pasta, stir in the sauce and serve.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    guccigoo, your Spicy Sausage pasta recipe is indexed ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • minnie2 wrote: »
    I cant believe i forgot about the voucher!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i vaguely remember you telling me about it!!!!! i bought 9x packets boo hoo!! where is the voucher? i was going to buy 3more packets but i may buy more than that now as its such a gd offer!

if you go into the velvet toilet tissue site you will see the tab for the coupon, £ 1.79 for 9 rolls of decent toilet tissue is and amazing price,i assume your purchases are classed as spaving .2uge4p4.gif
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Stocked up a bit today with cat food and breakfast cereals, Tes&co have a buy two get one free offer. Three bags of porridge oats for £1.50, great. Also fancied some crisps so got a bag of their Value 12 bags for 48p. Spent £16.70, with a saving of £8.11.
    Filled the car up for £45.78. I don't begrudge this because my car and my days out are the reason why I am frugal with everything else.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Well spent £37.40 today so my Feb budget not looking too good at the min :o I've only got £60.52 left BUT it is my first time;)

Got bag of Quorn sausages and bag of Quorn spicy strips for only £1 each in Icel&nd today :)
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Ilona wrote: »
    I usually buy six large free range eggs from the smallholding up the road for £1.25, but just lately I have been getting them from B & M for 99p. I would never buy eggs from caged birds, would rather go without, the poor hens have a terrible life.
    Ilona

I'm the same. But did you see the thing with the ducks which were supposedly 'free range' destined for Waitr*se today on the news. The way they were grabbed and treated was truly sickening. You wonder if ANYTHING is ethically produced nowadays...:(
    It really did make me think hard about going veggie. Sometimes I think the more you know about life the unhappier you are <sticks head in sand>.

Anyway - on a lighter note, the freezer fiasco has resulted in another NSD! :T
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Re: eggs.

I try to buy free range, but i do also purchase caged hen eggs sometimes. I do feel my conscience is piqued when i buy caged hen eggs, but sometimes (most of the time, actually) its about stretching a very small amount of money as far as it will go and eggs are such a big part of our eating habits as we use them in so many of our meals and baking.

Something i sometimes wonder about is how it doesn't (to my knowledge) state on every shop brought cake, biscuit, readymeal (yuk) etc, that free range eggs have been used, or whether the eggs used were from caged hens. So i don't think one can get too antsy about it unless they specifically eat only self prepared food and nothing ready made which lists egg as an ingredient.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2011 at 9:57PM
    Thought i would just say, that i have managed to get away for a month or so now with only doing one shop a week -no top-up shopping- by buying milk & bread (these seem to be what i was running out of most) and freezing them. I take the milk out the night before we will be needing it and leave it in the sink to defrost it tastes exactly the same and works out cheaper as we usually buy the 2 for £3 offers etc...And bread offers too so this works out cheaper. SO if you have extra space in your freezer would def recommend this :D

I only have a fridge freezer and I cannot freeze milk (no room whatsoever) but I do buy Cravendale milk since it lasts for about 2-3 weeks. I might buy 8 bottles of 2 pints (2 x £3 atm in MrM) and they last me for about 18-20 days.

EDIT: I went to MrM hungry... :( £27.25 spent. I bought a chicken at £2.40, pork shoulder joint at £3.50, 8 chicken breast at £6.50, Shredies Cereal on offer big box at £1.37, tupperwares I needed for freezing (3 at £1.40), Kingsmill bread 80p, 4 bags of Nescafe white coffee satchets and some bits and bobs. I could live without a few things, like the chocolate muffins or the chewing gum. I really should not go when I am hungry... I needed the coffee, though. I don't go to the same schools all the time and most of the days I go to two different places. I do not have a car and carrying around coffee mate and instant coffee jars is a bit tiring. I just put 3 or 4 satchets in the bag and they save me the 50p it costs from the machine without having to carry all those jars around in the handbag. Off to update sig!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • Managed to have a NSD today. We had spag bol for dinner which I normally put celery or mushrooms in but didn't have either so just had carrots, onion & garlic in it, stretched it further with two tinsof tomatoes instead of one as it was a smaller amount of mince than usual & had it with penne pasta as we had run out of spagetti but still it tasted fine!

Spiggle - hope you (& hubby) are ok now.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • 2joanne
    2joanne Posts: 134 Forumite
    Only £120.66 spent on 2 weeks shops!!!! I'm so so chuffed, this time last year it was that for 1 week!!

Off to update sig!!!

Ps shepherds pie topped with sweet potato (with some parmesean or grand pandano grated in) ........absolutley lush & highly recommended!

Enjoy!
    LBM 8/6/12
    Tesco:gone Wardrobe credit: gone
    Barclays £3669.71; Car £8820; 1st D £15000; Total:£9135.21/£36692 25%
    DFD Nov 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts