Real life MMD: Should I pay extra for Sky?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 8 February 2011 at 6:12PM in MoneySaving polls
Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...
Should I pay the extra for Sky?
I live with 2 housemates and we all chip in paying for Sky TV in the lounge. They also pay an extra £10/mth each to get it in their bedrooms. Microsoft have now added Sky to the Xbox, which you can pay £10/mth for, but it's free if you’re already a Sky multiroom subscriber. As my housemates pay for multiroom, I can benefit from the deal. They don’t think that’s fair, yet I already have to pay £40 a year for Xbox Gold membership. Should I pay extra?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• If your XBox membership is personal to you (only you do or can use it) then I think you should share the cost of the entire £20 per month of the other two house mates' multiroom between the 3 of you as you are all benefiting equally from the "multiroom" but your XBox thing is yours and yours only.

If your XBox membership is used by your other housemates as well as you then you might want to talk about sharing the cost of everything equally.
  • Sounds like you can only get this freebie because of your friends' subscriptions, so it would be fair to make a contribution.
  • jax1305
    jax1305 Posts: 47 Forumite
    so you pay £40 per year, they pay £120 per year each. but you can only upgrade because they pay - why not add together the total outgoings - £280 and split it between you - £93.33 each. unless you get something extra special for your gold membership that they don't benefit from - in which case to be fair you should pay more than them. you can only benefit because of their multiroom sub - without that you'd have to pay more anyway.
  • Why tell them in the first place?
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    If you are the only person who uses the Xbox, then they do not benefit from your Gold Membership so why not split the £20 multiroom between the three of you - that's £6.70 each per month. You could argue that you won't watch Sky in your room, but I expect you probably will if it's available. I am sure you could save that elsewhere a month (grocery shop etc) and it could be worth the extra, esp as it's due to them having multiroom that you also get Sky in your room.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• I agree with Clareee, i would consider splitting the £20 sub charge between the three of you £6.67 each - i'm sure your flatmates wouldn't mind having to pay less to get the same deal, otherwise what the point adding an extra £10 for the system.
    If they don't want to share you could always pull your funding for the Sky TV in the lounge as well and just pay the £10 to have it in your room.
    Long time MSE member… just sitting in silence in the background. Make money on the move. Join me and thousands of others.Sign-up to Skedadle with my referral code: QAGBDwww.Skedadle.com(My referral perk - I get 50p in my balance when you earn £1)
  • Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,541
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, I would say the fairest solution here is to split the £20 cost for Sky in the extra rooms between the 3 of you. The fact that you pay £40 per year for X-Box Gold is completely irrelevant, it would only be relevant if the Sky/X-Box service was completely free regardless of whether or not your household pay for Multiroom and this is obviously not the case. You would have to pay an extra £10 per month to get this service if it was not for the fact that your friends are already paying this sum to have Sky in their own rooms so it seems fair enough that they pay a little less and you pay your £6.67 share of the £20, its hardly a large amount of money to pay out on a monthly basis.

As someone mentioned earlier, you could of course be economical with the truth and not mention this to your housemates (assuming they don't already know), that is down to you and your conscience I would say.
    2020 Wins:
  • Tough, you are making use of a free service where theirs' costs money. I wouldn't start subsidising other people's services. They should consider getting an Xbox too if they're that bothered. That being said I wouldn't be happy leaving the Xbox on for hours and hours on end just to watch TV. Even with the improvements they've made to the hardware you're still looking at red light city. And I know what I';m talking about having taken receipt of my 6th Xbox recently.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If they are paying to get a benefit, that you can then tag onto, my view would be to split the cost.

You'd lose out if they decided to cancel multiroom, and you'd have to pay £10 extra if you wanted multiroom in your own room, rather than the Xbox facility. If you get on with them, and want harmony in the house (and sometimes in a houseshare, there's bigger things to argue about than £10 - like who's turn it is to clean the bathroom) then split it.

As another poster said, split the £20 3 ways, then it's £6.50 odd. What's that - 2 pints down the pub? surely that a month is worth peace in the house????
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • I agree with everyone else and say split the £20 three ways.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure