Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 24th Jan 11, 9:50 AM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Which screenscraper do you prefer? Cheap flights guide
    • 24th Jan 11, 9:50 AM
    0 WOW
    Which screenscraper do you prefer? Cheap flights guide 24th Jan 11 at 9:50 AM
    What’s this about?

The first point of call is read the full Cheap Flights guide. Then, this discussion is specifically to talk about tips for

Which flight screenscraper you prefer

If you've got a general comment on the Cheap Flights article, please use the general Cheap Flights discussion.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.
Page 1
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 5th Mar 11, 10:42 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    jnm21
    • 5th Mar 11, 10:42 AM
    • 5th Mar 11, 10:42 AM
    I cannot believe that there are no posts on this topic! I'll start by saying I use skyscanner all the time as it is great, but would love an even more powerful search! Tried TS, but it isn't for me on the flights side (I use it all the time for cars & hotels). Will try Kayak again - used it until I found SS - they are very receptive to suggestions.

Anyone else hate the one price if you fly return, but another if you want a single (which breaks SkyScanner)? I hate airlines who do this & tend to exclude them on the assumption that they won't come through!
  • kelda
    • 1st Apr 11, 8:39 PM
    • 1st Apr 11, 8:39 PM
    Hi. I need to book a more complicated route - edinburgh - singapore (for 10 days) - auckland for 10 days then back to edinburgh. What site would anyone recommend for looking into prices for that?
  • bcl999
    • 2nd Apr 11, 11:05 AM
    • 2nd Apr 11, 11:05 AM
    You can do multi-city searches on www.kayak.com and many other sites.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Apr 11, 12:31 PM
    • 18,100 Posts
    • 7,429 Thanks
    richardw
    • 2nd Apr 11, 12:31 PM
    • 2nd Apr 11, 12:31 PM
    Hi. I need to book a more complicated route - edinburgh - singapore (for 10 days) - auckland for 10 days then back to edinburgh. What site would anyone recommend for looking into prices for that?
    Originally posted by kelda
    emirates can do this from Glasgow via Dubai.
    • realised
    • By realised 2nd Apr 11, 12:37 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    realised
    • 2nd Apr 11, 12:37 PM
    • 2nd Apr 11, 12:37 PM
    I always use Skyscanner and Kayak. Used to use netflights but it's not so good anymore
    • Hastobe_Katt
    • By Hastobe_Katt 2nd Apr 11, 7:26 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Hastobe_Katt
    • 2nd Apr 11, 7:26 PM
    • 2nd Apr 11, 7:26 PM
    Bravofly.co.uk is good
    • Hastobe_Katt
    • By Hastobe_Katt 2nd Apr 11, 7:28 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Hastobe_Katt
    • 2nd Apr 11, 7:28 PM
    • 2nd Apr 11, 7:28 PM
    http://www.bravofly.co.uk is good as is http://www.itasoftware.com/
  • BFem
    • 24th Apr 11, 12:05 PM
    cant purchase
    • 24th Apr 11, 12:05 PM
    You can't purchase through ita software, it tells you to take the details to your travel agent.
    'It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection' Elizabeth Gilbert.

• M4RKM
    • By M4RKM 24th Apr 11, 7:21 PM
    • 5,062 Posts
    • 3,668 Thanks
    M4RKM
    kayak first and foremost for searching and checking prices.
  • Stu Flightman
    I use Dohop and Kayak mostly, though I find myself veering more and more towards Dohop. Every now and then they will hit upon some strange combination that requires more than one booking but it is so worth it because you can save a lot.

Adding a twirly guy for giggles:
    • mbanbrook
    • By mbanbrook 11th Mar 12, 12:45 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    mbanbrook
    No mention of Dealchecker?
    Surprised to not see Dealchecker mentioned anywhere. They seem genuine and were voted by the Daily Telegraph as a top travel website in 2007. I found it by accident and it came up with a cheaper price than Skyscanner and Kayak.

http://www.dealchecker.co.uk
    • Tojo Ralph
    • By Tojo Ralph 11th Mar 12, 2:55 PM
    • 7,831 Posts
    • 12,261 Thanks
    Tojo Ralph
    I have to recommend ..... http://www.amadeus.net
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 11th Mar 12, 8:36 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    kayak first and foremost for searching and checking prices.
    Originally posted by M4RKM
    Kayak is my favourite but it doesn't cover all of the low cost airlines (it has Easyjet but not Ryanair) so you need to add SkyScanner for European routes.
    • bigperk
    • By bigperk 16th Mar 12, 3:04 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    bigperk
    I have used RoundTheWorldflights.com. don't know how it compares with the other suggestions , but it certainly provided a UK-HK-Thailand-Japan-UK trip for about £900 when a UK-Japan-UK round trip was about £700-800, a couple of years ago; the advisors were very good - so I can recommend it. Will be looking again for Oz at Christmas.

So far I have been using skyscanner, Travelocity, TravelSupermarket asd Expedia for my initial checks. I have been doing 2012 month-by-month comparisons for Sydney. I have already dropped TravelSupermarket and Expedia as they gave the most 'highest' prices of the 4 (by quite a big margin), and just a few (mainly marginal) 'lowests' in the checks so far.

Travelocity has so far given quite a few more 'lowests' with substantial differences than skyscanner does, which, although it gives about the same number of 'lowests', their differences are pretty marginal. Travelocity also has a very helpful multiple date display where your dates are flexible and you can see the different airlines' prices, though skyscanner also has a 'month' price summary which is almost as good. For the mo I'm running with both, but definitely favour Travelocity.

Whether my experience is typical I can't say, I guess everyone ends up with their favourites! Hope it's of some interest anyway.
    Last edited by bigperk; 16-03-2012 at 5:49 PM.
    • sarah861421
    • By sarah861421 22nd May 12, 12:00 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    sarah861421
    Flight checker
    Martin's flight checker used to be the best by far.

It is now worse than useless.

Martin. What are you thinking. Get the old site back.

It was without a doubt the most useful of all the internet flight scrapers.

The new system is RUBBISH, children could devise a better system.

Peter Birkett.
  • wensday
    I've previously used a really helpful one that gives you a bar chart of dates and prices but I cannot find it again this year.
    Anyone seen it?
    Otherwise quite like travelocity if your dates are flexible.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 22nd Aug 12, 6:47 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    bagand96
    I've previously used a really helpful one that gives you a bar chart of dates and prices but I cannot find it again this year.
    Anyone seen it?
    Sounds like skyscanner.net, that gives a bar chart when you select "whole month" instead of specific dates.
    • Obviously the best
    • By Obviously the best 22nd Aug 12, 11:24 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Obviously the best
    www.skyscanner.net
    www.cheapoair.co.uk
    www.opodo.co.uk
    OTB

Always happy to help (ba-da-ba-ba-ba ching ching)
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 23rd Aug 12, 2:55 AM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 2,375 Thanks
    callum9999
    Martin's flight checker used to be the best by far.

It is now worse than useless.

Martin. What are you thinking. Get the old site back.

It was without a doubt the most useful of all the internet flight scrapers.

The new system is RUBBISH, children could devise a better system.

Peter Birkett.
    Originally posted by sarah861421
    Yeah, the last few times I've used it the flights it found were "last updated 70 days ago" - needless to say, the prices were therefore well out of date!

It also irritates me that the "I'll go anywhere" option is limited. Why can't I choose an "I'll go anywhere" one way flight? A lot of my holidays are spontaneous connect-the-dot type breaks depending on cheap fares, I don't necessarily want to fly back from the same airport (i.e. last time I flew into a Spanish airport, took a domestic Spanish flight, flew to Marrakesh, back to a 4th Spanish airport then back from there to London).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin