January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    It seems a lot of us are being hard on ourselves today. Thank you for the supportive post Moniker :kisses3:

Someone actually showing me how it works would be best, but funds wont allow, and I don't really know anyone where I live apart from the people I used to work with, who were work colleagues rather than "friends" are they were all pensioners, apart from management. Mind you, I'm sure some of the pensioners are probably more clue up than I! ;) So I think Excel for Dummies is probably a good idea, especially as we have a library a 2minute walk from me - thanks for the suggestion

To all newcomers who are struggling with their budget this month, you need to cut yourself some slack - budgeting for less than you're used to spending is difficult. I've been taking part in the challenge for the past 6 months and I've only been successful 3 out of those 6. Take the positive from the situation with the knowledge that if you hadn't been trying, you would undoubtedly have spent much more :)

wssla00 I'm really sorry to hear about your job hun. It seems that much worse to hear it's hanging in the balance on your birthday.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but, if it does....I lost my job last year the day after my birthday (also January) and although things haven't picked up (we're still surviving on OHs wage and no benefits) it isn't all doom and gloom, and you do get by, and actually, although it is hard, it's a nicer pace of life.

Glad the trees turned up and you're pleased with them. I'd love some fruit trees, but sadly, all my back garden is paving slabs, and there's not really any room for such things.

You'll be okay Hippiechiq - once you get used to it it's like 'riding a bike' as they say. I don't know if you do, but do you have Powerpoint installed on your computer by any chance? Sometimes it comes automatically installed on your computer even if you don't use it. If you do I can create a quick p.point presentation (like a slide show), which gives an easy step by step guide. If not I can message a easy Word document with print screens to a similar effect. Otherwise, if you find the Excel book that will be just as good. :cool:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Haven't posted for a few days but actually haven't spent anything. However tonight went to Mr T's and got a weeks worth of shopping but menu planned before hand and worked out my shopping list on my supermarket before heading out - and stuck to my list too. Spent £21.81 but I had £16.00 of vouchers leftover from end of last year so I used those therefore my total spend from my grocery budget was £5.81.

I've updated my signature accordingly and I'm really, really hoping that I won't need to venture near a shop or petrol station until next Wednesday:j

If I can stick to my budget this month I'll be well chuffed.
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    XSpender wrote: »
    You can chop and freeze the celery for future use if you can't find a recipe for it. I do this all the time and it is fine to use in soup or stews from frozen:)

Thanks for this! Do you have to blanche it or anything? (I should look at how to do this!) I froze cabbage fresh once, and when I defrosted it, it tasted rotten! I've never dared to freeze fresh veg ever since then! :rotfl:
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Evening all

Welcome to all the new people - nice to see you

Went to MrS today for a couple of bits and spent £42 - I'm blaming DH cos he was with me lol

Off to update siggy now

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • NickJW wrote: »
    My flatmate cooked tonight, so we had a Jamie Oliver fish pie from the new cookbook - very nice, and enough leftover for tomorrow. The problem is that he bought loads of veg to go with it, and there was only a bit used. There is now a big bag of celery and a load of spinach, plus more chillis (which are okay because they last). If I don't use it, he will just chuck it away! :mad:

I was thinking of doing THIS recipe for some of it on Friday, because I just need to get one carrot and chorizo. It calls for Sherry vinegar which I don't have, so I wondered if Rice Wine vinegar would be an acceptable subsitute. I saw that Sherry vinegar is £1.59 in Mr S on Mysuperm*ket, so I'll buy if I have to, but if anyone thinks it won't be necessary I'll just use the rice wine vinegar.:o

UNLESS anyone has any ideas on how to use up spinach,celery (not raw - yuck!), and chillis (red, green and birds eye)? They don't have to be all together, but I need to use the spinach and celery in 2 meals this week. I have also have chicken, bacon, sausages and stewing beef in the freezer, red and white wine if need be, rice, pasta, lentils, beef and chicken stock, cherry tomatoes, fresh parsley and thyme needing using up, chopped tomatoes chickpeas, cannellini beans, plus every dried spice, herb and baking product you can imagine. My eyes are going sore searching tonight and for once I have absolutely ZERO inspiration! Willing (actually would like to) do veggie if necessary.

ETA: it sounds like I am doing a dating ad here! :-)
    sorry replying a bit late had friends round tonight for a goss, you could use your spinach and chillis, chopped toms with the lentils and make a dhal. Not sure on the celery as its not something i enjoy eating.
  • PS I love the people on this thread so friendly and full of information, its the same on both the thrifty gifty make money and presents thread, plus the knit your sqaure infact every thread I post on is full of really great people.
    xx

just had a great night with friends and feeling all warm and fuzzy no alcholol required either:j
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    Hi all :wave:

Well, I was at Uni all day today and so bought lunch & coffee there... oh, and a bottle of ribena - so £5.00 there!!!

Also, small-ish shop in A**i on way home £8.09. But, that included £4.58 for cat food and £1.58 for some sweets for friend at work. She's allergic to beef so can't ususally eat jelly sweets as they contain beef gelatine, but the A**i ones are pork gelatine and she's well chuffed that I found them.

Noticed in some posts reference to fruit trees and a website that they were from... I would love some fruit trees to add to my blueberry, gooseberry and herbs, but can't find the original post with the website. Can anyone help?

Off to update sig. Have a good Thursday everyone
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Nick I don't have MS 0ffice on my lappy, and because of that, I don't even get to have MS Word can you believe?!

Not even Wordpad. Well, I have Wordpad, and I can create a document in Wordpad, but once I've saved it and go to open what I've saved, I apparently need MS W0rd to be able to do it, which it seems is now part of MS 0ffice.

All I have at my disposal is Notepad, and 0pen 0ffice, which should - I believe - behave like MS 0ffice....but I imagine if you sent me a Powerpoint presentation (for want of a better word) you'll then be talking to me about importing files or something or other or PDF, or maybe neither, but I really don't have a clue about any of it - go me! :T lol

With regard to your celery - not a veggie recipe I'm afraid, but very nice, and very simple. Quick to assemble and quick to cook. Bit of a cheats curry really ;)

FRUITY CHICKEN CURRY
    Serves 2

1 Tbs Oil
    200g Chicken Breast, diced
    1 Onion, diced
    2 Garlic Cloves (or tspns of Lazy Garlic)
    1 Tbs Medium Curry Powder
    1 Tbs Mild Curry Powder (although you may want to adjust this according to taste - recipe actually calls for 3, but I find one tablespoon of each enough)
    1 Celery Stalk, chopped
    ½ Apple, diced
    ½ Red Pepper, chopped
    75g Sultanas
    450ml Chicken Stock

Recipe calls for salt, but I find there is enough from the stock cube. Better to taste and see, than add, and find it's too much

Melt oil in pan over medium heat
    Add Chicken and brown on all sides (approx 5-7 mins)
    Remove from pan and transfer to plate
    Add Onion and saute for approx 6 mins until translucent (add Garlic at this stage if using fresh)
    Stir in Curry Powder and cook for 30 seconds
    Return Chicken to pan, and add Apple, Celery, Pepper, Sultana, Stock & Lazy Garlic if using
    Cover and simmer for 10 minutes

I cook it for 20 cos I worry about food poisoning (but that's just me) and remove the lid for the last 5 mins to allow the sauce to thicken.

It's not a "creamy" curry, and it bites back! Oh, and no need to blanche the celery before freezing :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Nick I don't have MS 0ffice on my lappy, and because of that, I don't even get to have MS Word can you believe?!
    Ive just had a look on youtube for you and found a decent little video for you which explains some spreadsheet basics! Take a look at the 3 minute mark-its magic! Whether excel or open office its basically the same. There are loads of tutorials on youtube-all free!
    Same applies to your word processor program. Some documents will open in it-it is worth looking for instructions on youtube-there are a lot of people who put these on who are well qualified-my son being one of them! Its not all films and larks on youtube-we often forget the serious videos!
    All good moneysaving-it is also good place to review items b efore buying them as my son does-you can see things being used-all the functions etc-there are a lot of really fantastic vids-nerby maybe but great.

Just spent £2 today on the lucozade and mars bars for hubby.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1OVkw2ZQ8&feature=related
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Tropicalmoments
    Tropicalmoments Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2011 at 1:37AM
    Hippeechiq wrote: »

Not even Wordpad. Well, I have Wordpad, and I can create a document in Wordpad, but once I've saved it and go to open what I've saved, I apparently need MS W0rd to be able to do it, which it seems is now part of MS 0ffice.

All I have at my disposal is Notepad, and 0pen 0ffice, which should - I believe - behave like MS 0ffice....but I imagine if you sent me a Powerpoint presentation (for want of a better word) you'll then be talking to me about importing files or something or other or PDF, or maybe neither, but I really don't have a clue about any of it - go me! :T lol

Hippeechiq - if you set up a googlemail account it will give you access to wordprocessing, spreadsheets and presentations software on your computer without you needing to install the software. It's called 'cloud computing' but is great if you don't have MS office on your computer. And when you save the documents you save them in your google space rather than on your computer so they are accessible whichever computer you use.

Just set up an account - go to documents and then create and you can choose whatever sort of document you wish.

Tm

Edit - just noticed that there are a number of budget templates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family