January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 294.6K views

Replies

• ChlorisChloris Forumite
    711 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Weekly shop (hopefully this will be a 2 week shop!) done at Mr M, £50.18. I have meal planned up to the end of our month which is 26th. I should only have to pick up a bit of meat, f&v and milk. Fingers crossed as I only have just shy of £25 to last. I will have to take it one day at a time because I am not sure I can manage it.:cool:
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised my signature is out of date. Somewhere I've done a shop that I didn't record. But have I really spent £180 in the last 12 days 5 of which I've been holed up in bed? I've bought some stuff from T's that I wouldn't normally buy to help me get better and some food that I'm hoping will tempt me to eat again. Medicines cost a lot don't they!? I'm really shocked. I'll have to check my reciepts but I've a horrid feeling, given I've had 2 deliveries since Christmas, that maybe £180 is right. Oh well, in that case I've about £60 left until 1st Feb...
  • Hello all,

I love reading all the forums and I would love to join this thread, but have never joined one before!! I plan to start several of the challenges, and list my debts (very,very scary), but don't know how to make a signature or even create the list, so I would appreciate some help, thank you xx :)
    Monthly grocery challenge £200
    January NSD's - 0/31
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan 2011
    £365 in 365 days
  • minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 Posts
    right so my overall spend this month so far is £13.70 and ive set us a budget of £155 so dont think we are doing too bad!! especially as £5.67 of that was ingredients for things i made for a friend which id been saying id do for her for months!!! hopefully we are on track!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    BELOVED
    to do a signature, click on 'quick links' top right of this page and then 'edit signature'
    not sure how to explain from there
    but i think the fact i worked out how to change things means anyone can!
    do join in the fun!
    you're very welcome!
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 Posts
    Evening everyone

I've just ordered my 2nd shop of the month to come be delivered on Friday. By avoiding actually going into supermarkets and watching the running total go up on the screen I'm hoping it will keep costs down.
    Also, although the cupboards, freezer and fridge are still fairly well stocked from a delivery a week ago, psychologically I feel happier if we have full stocks and plenty of choice of food. I tend to panic buy when we get really low on everything. All being well, we should get away with one more shop near the end of the month and might be on target.:T I'm also going to start WW again so have to have plenty of fruit and healthy snacks in the house.

Tonight's meal was a new one for us - it was chicken thighs with chorizo sausage from a recipe in Nigella's new book. It was very easy and everyone liked it!:j
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Peeps :wave:

just popping on to wish Wssla00 a very Happy Birthday :bdaycake:
    sorry to hear about your job though :( your fruit trees sound wonderful! I`ll have a look on that site as i`m hoping to get more fruit in the garden this year.

SilverCo - Those new receipts will drive me mad, may call into customer services on the next visit and mention it to them although i`m sure that you are on the right track and its been done on purpose.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 Posts
    beloved wrote: »
    Hello all,

I love reading all the forums and I would love to join this thread, but have never joined one before!! I plan to start several of the challenges, and list my debts (very,very scary), but don't know how to make a signature or even create the list, so I would appreciate some help, thank you xx :)

welcome!! consider yourself joined!! scroll up the page and click on user cp and down left hand side youll see edit signature. this thread is very helpful and supportive so you are in the right place!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • Thanks cats and minnie, will have a go now, wish me luck x
    Monthly grocery challenge £200
    January NSD's - 0/31
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan 2011
    £365 in 365 days
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE I foolishly thought - having had no kind of computer training whatsoever - that I might be able to teach myself how to do a spreadsheet, but I hadn't taken into account how thick I am :(

I just get very angry with myself for not being able to understand. I see columns, but I don't know how to make some bigger (to accomodate longer words)

I see nothing that would allow me to have sub headings, so that I could have a running total under each heading, and when I try typing random figures into a box, and then go to the box/column/whatever the correct terminology is, underneath, and add another random amount of money, it's not giving me a sub total.

It's making me angry just typing about it. I'm very hard on myself, and when I don't understand something, it makes me feel stupid - once that happens, I don't seem to be able to get past it. I just end up feeling totally negative about myself...]

Hippeechiq you are being too hard on yourself! It really isn't obvious how to do it, but once you have been shown you will pick it up fine I am sure. You could try getting a book from the library: Excel for dummies (not being rude - that's what it's called)would be good (even if you don't have the full excel it shows you the principal behind spreadsheets). Your local library may also have details of basic IT courses which would cover this and some of these are free. Or you could offer a service such as baby-sitting in return for some IT lessons. If you lived nearer to me I would pop over and help you! Don't give up - it's the machines not the people that are not intelligent!

Off to Sainsbugs tomorrow for my weekly shop. Have managed not to buy a thing since last Thursday so am up to 9 NSDs so far this month. Will catch up with you all tomorrow.

Moniker
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals