January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 294.5K views

Replies

• spent £4.40 over the last few days on lil bits, milk, bread carrots ect , have updated sig x
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • kippers wrote: »

I've been feeling a bit down the last few days-i'm sure it's just that it's wet and gloomy and i'm desparate to get back to my allotment as i haven't worked on it for ages due to the weather. I'm still waiting for my fruit trees, blue berry bushes to be delivered so i can plant them, so i know it will cheer me up when they do come. Dreaming of the fruit i have to come in the future cheers me up as it will be more to save on groceries as fruit is so so expensive. I opened some yellow plum jam today that i made in the summer from my allotment neighbours tree ...it tasted of summer...i can't wait till the warmer spring days.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good day and enjoying the challenge.

kippers - sorry to hear you've been feeling down - I think you're right about it being the Weather, it's already felt like a long Winter as we had snow in November and again in December and now we've had nothing but rain.:mad: I too can't wait to get back onto the Allotment, was perked up today when a Friend who doesn't live close by phoned to say they loved their Hamper that I made them for Xmas, they loved the Jams and Chutneys and she wants to give me the Basket back so that I can make another for next Xmas - that really made me feel chuffed.;)

Yesterday's HM Bread was delicious, will definitely be making it by hand from now on, going to try experimenting with different shapes etc.

Think I'll be going to Sainsbugs today - they have sent me a £7.50 off a £50 spend and checked Mysupermarket and they have loads of offers on so think I'll be tempted.:o

Dinner tonight will be something with Pasta, found a recipe in one of my books that uses Tuna so may give that a go.

Hippeechiq - you haven't "failed" - you are spending less than this time last year, in my eyes that's a huge success. Keep positive.:)

Have a good day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Morning!

Just a small spend yesterday

A**a - Toliet Wipes - £1.02
    2 x Fox's Biscuits - £1.00 (on offer)

Wil**s - Pk 8 Sponge Scourers - 98p
    5 Pouches Felix - 1.95

Total £4.95

Have a good day everyone:)
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • MrsGSRMrsGSR Forumite
    1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I've come in under budget this week. Weekly spend is £40 and we spent £31 alltogether and thats with using a meal plan and sticking to the list.
    It means we are eating list crap though lol
    Squirrelling away in September No 33
    It's not about the money, it's about financial freedom, being in control of it and living in the natural world and not a material world
  • edited 13 January 2011 at 9:19AM
    JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 13 January 2011 at 9:19AM
    Morning!

Just a small spend yesterday

A**a - Toliet Wipes - £1.02
    2 x Fox's Biscuits - £1.00 (on offer)

Wil**s - Pk 8 Sponge Scourers - 98p
    5 Pouches Felix - 1.95

Total £4.95

Have a good day everyone:)

Have looked here they are free delivery and work out at about 24p a pouch.

And if you have a nectar card you can go to amazon through their website and get points too.
  • Great words of advice Hippeechiq (sorry if I've spelt that wrong...). I agree that it's good not to beat yourself up too much. I've just started this challenge and although I'm sure I'm going to make it, it's just because I had no idea how much I spent on food and so set a target of £150 which is basically £5 a day. I had no idea if this was going to be doable or not but it turns out that it definately is so next time I'll try for something a bit tougher...

But if you don't meet your target, never mind. As you say, just trying to keep inside of a budget probably means you've already saved more than you would have if you hadn't been trying.

Positive vibes everyone! :T
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • P.S. That looks like a brilliant easy to make chicken curry. I'm taking a copy and I'll give it a go.
    Mini Challenge - Halve 2nd Mortgage by Year End
    Starting: £10,000 Currently £8,142.62
    £3,142.62 to go!
  • jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    adelight wrote: »

Ooooh are they good beans? I do love coffee! I live opposite a shop that sells coffee machines and dozens of varieties of coffee beans, they will make up and grind blends in front of you so I have to keep myself well stocked with Lidl coffee to avoid temptation!

Yes, they are delish can you beileve I normally pay £3 per bag. I am lucky to have a good quality coffee maker which grinds the beans for each cup, we never have coffee out now & even friends pop by just 2 have one! Hubby makes up a flask fresh to take to work.

May I ask what make your coffee maker is? Have been thinking of treating myself to one, so it would be good to have a recommendation.:)

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Lamb Chops (from the freezer) for dinner tonight. My veggie sister is coming to stay the night, will make fried rice for her.
    My First Mr T order arrives tonight, hope all the stuff comes.

I'm really enjoying this GC, and the discipline it brings with it. I was brought up with my grandmother who taught me all the old ways, they seemed to get lost in the madness of modern living. The supermarket have us all brainwashed into thinking we need all this stuff.
    I have vowed NEVER to buy another convenience meal, or anything I wont actually use. I've gone back to making everything from scratch, I was surprised how it all came back to me. I love cooking, but had become lazy, not every day, but enough to waste money.
    The good thing about this thread is it reeducates you. I for one really appreciate all the effort that has gone into the organisation and maintenance of these pages. So a BIG thank you from me.

I love reading this thread and catching up on everyones posts. it keeps me focused on the job in hand and distracts me a little from a great overwhelming sadness that has engulfed my family, I'm having to be strong for them, and hide my feelings.
    When I'm upset about something I can usually work it out in the garden (but its much too cold to do anything yet).

I've been making curtains , upholstering etc , for my two youngest daughters freezing flats. I was really pleased when I got the younger ones new sitting room curtains up, the difference in the warmth of the room was really noticeable. Got the other daughters to do this morning, and the linings to make, 2-3 hrs should do that.

Then I'm going to have a bash at making bread, (by hand) not made bread for 20 years. Looking forward to that.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Mothership wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this GC, and the discipline it brings with it. I was brought up with my grandmother who taught me all the old ways, they seemed to get lost in the madness of modern living. The supermarket have us all brainwashed into thinking we need all this stuff.
    I have vowed NEVER to buy another convenience meal, or anything I wont actually use. I've gone back to making everything from scratch, I was surprised how it all came back to me. I love cooking, but had become lazy, not every day, but enough to waste money.
    The good thing about this thread is it reeducates you. I for one really appreciate all the effort that has gone into the organisation and maintenance of these pages. So a BIG thank you from me.

I love reading this thread and catching up on everyones posts. it keeps me focused on the job in hand and distracts me a little from a great overwhelming sadness that has engulfed my family, I'm having to be strong for them, and hide my feelings.
    When I'm upset about something I can usually work it out in the garden (but its much too cold to do anything yet).

I've been making curtains , upholstering etc , for my two youngest daughters freezing flats. I was really pleased when I got the younger ones new sitting room curtains up, the difference in the warmth of the room was really noticeable. Got the other daughters to do this morning, and the linings to make, 2-3 hrs should do that.

Then I'm going to have a bash at making bread, (by hand) not made bread for 20 years. Looking forward to that.

sending you virtual hugs its hard being strong and hide your feelings, just make sure you look after yourself as well xx

I wish I had gone back to basics and cooked from scratch so many years ago, I was taught by my mum to cook from an early age and all from scratch - used to sit and read cookery books and I still do read them even now.
    I vowed never to buy anything ready made or sachets for sauces this year which is why I want a sausage making machine its one of the very few things i buy premade (once I have worked it all out I want to make chorizo and salami which is the other premade things I buy)
    Good luck with the bread.

cooked a large ham joint last night for dinner tonight, OH took some in sandwiches and the stock will be frozen later when I get home to make soup.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals