January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 294.6K views

Replies

• welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 Posts
    A £5.50 midweek spend for plums, grapes, nectarines, lettuce cuc toms and 2 pasta n sauces at local market ... sig updated/.
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • Visited parents in another town and went to Booths...was going to buy a cake but the prices have gone through the roof...unfortunately was tempted by offer on Cumberland ale...my fave and bought 2 for £2.30, but no cake. Had beer with pasta when I got home. Mum gave me packet of crisprbreads she'd got from L*dl at 59p...they're over £1 elsewhere so don't feel so bad about spending today. Siggy updated.
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • boysmaboysma Forumite
    828 Posts
    5.15 spent at Mr T today for grapes, blueberries & potatoes. Will definitely have to get meat at weekend and more bread for work lunches. Hopefully my budget will be just about doable this month as DS1 is now home again for the foreseeable future.:)
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14) :j
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    NSD for me today. It's always a day when I don't have the children that I muck up. Today has been fine - the children came back from their dad's today so didn't do any shopping. Think I'm up to 8/12 NSDs now, which is almost unheard of for me!

Just having sweet and sour chicken (left over from Sunday) on toast (couldn't be assed to cook rice, and had hm bread to be used up). Tastes alright actually. Have another portion of sweet and sour left, but absolutely nowhere in my freezers to put it!

Have a good evening all!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • adelight wrote: »

Ooooh are they good beans? I do love coffee! I live opposite a shop that sells coffee machines and dozens of varieties of coffee beans, they will make up and grind blends in front of you so I have to keep myself well stocked with Lidl coffee to avoid temptation!

Yes, they are delish can you beileve I normally pay £3 per bag. I am lucky to have a good quality coffee maker which grinds the beans for each cup, we never have coffee out now & even friends pop by just 2 have one! Hubby makes up a flask fresh to take to work.
    Frugal Challenge £9000
    Grocery Challenge £tba pm £
  • SilverCoSilverCo Forumite
    160 Posts
    [QUOTE=Sunnyday;40155930_Looking_at_My_MrM_receipt_and_they_have_started_to_do_a_new_type._The_Vat_items_are_no_longer_marked_and_now_the_total_vat_is_added_at_the_bottom,_this_means_that_the_vatable_products_arn`t_marked_seperately_anymore_:mad:_there_used_to_be_a_letter_-_either_an_A_or_a_D_next_to_all_products_on_the_receipt_one_meant_no_vat_and_the_other_meant_the_charge_so_i`m_not_a_very_happy_bunny_now._Has_anyone_elses_store_moved_to_the_new_type_yet?SD[/QUOTE]

Hi Sunnyday - I noticed that at the weekend too, makes it much more difficult to understand, maybe they've done it for that reason...! :p

£2 spend today on 4 whoopsied chicken and stuffing lattices in M&S. Not seen them before, so hoping they're nice!! :o

Happy Birthday wssla00 :T Sorry to hear about things on the job front though, hope it all works out OK for you :grouphug:

Silver x
    1st LBM :idea: 21.12.09 Total Debt - £21049.95.
    Final LBM :idea: 16.8.13 Total Debt - £16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts! :D
    :A SPC Member #1182 :A
  • martafdz wrote: »
    Oh! Thanks! :D I miss the fresh coffee. I do not have a coffee machine now though, so I will wait until I have paid my debt to go and buy one lol. I will have a look at that, I am trying to find new places with cheaper prices!! :D

I have read mixed things about AP but so far so good with me. Will keep you posted.
    Frugal Challenge £9000
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    minnie2 wrote: »
    Thanx - just wish that this would solve our probs!! but alas we need to do alot more!!

oh no!!! whats yours then? are you close behind? im going to have to buy for work lunches soon too!!!!

Not exactly close behind!
    Technically I don't need to had anything to equal your total of 10
    Afterall 1+0 =10 doesn't it?
    I've only had my first NSD today!:rotfl:
  • triticale wrote: »
    Also, someone mentioned making pineapple upside-down pudding using 17p tinned chunks - I was wondering if doing pineapple buns in paper cake cases would work? Couple of chunks in each case with standard cake mix on top, maybe a drop of the juice added? Does anyone think this would work? :)

That is how I made my mince meat buns so I am sure it will work for pineapple, I put in less sugar too as I figured the fruit would give sweetness. Mine were so yummy I made them again tonight. They go down well when I do some experimenting for the first course:rotfl:
    Frugal Challenge £9000
  • minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 Posts
    Not exactly close behind!
    Technically I don't need to had anything to equal your total of 10
    Afterall 1+0 =10 doesn't it?
    I've only had my first NSD today!:rotfl:

ah yes i see your logic there!!!!!

But very well done on your NSD!!!! keep it up!!!

and hmmmmm i love a bit of competition!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides