January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• rachelww1
    rachelww1 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Thought I was being really clever going to MrT's just before it shut last night, thinking that there would be bargains to be had as it was shut today. But no, all the reduced items shelves had been cleared and wiped down, and they were busy chucking all the bread into a huge bin :mad:.

On a better note, I did manage to get most of the items on my list (I made a list :D) including a 2.6kg smoked gammon that was on special offer for £6. Going to cook that tomorrow in my SC in apple juice and have it as our roast. Did one that way on Christmas Eve and it was the best gammon I'd ever tasted. Leftovers will be used in a pie and for sarnies in the week. Spent £60 and another £3.99 in c*-*p on thurs. Both shops I'm including as it was out of january's budget. My budget will go up to 27th this month, as pay day is on the 28th.

Hope everyone had a lovely new year and aren't suffering. I am as I over endulged on the alcohol last night :o
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wow this thread moves so fast, it is hard to keep up and I would dearly love to read every post as I find it all so interesting! :)

Well I spent £1.00 today on a bag of mixed salad leaves, so I can use up some of the other salady bits in the fridge tomorrow.

I spent £7.20 yesterday, but that was on my prescription and I'm not sure whether you would put that in a grocery budget. What do you think?
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• rachelww1 wrote: »

On a better note, I did manage to get most of the items on my list (I made a list :D) including a 2.6kg smoked gammon that was on special offer for £6. Going to cook that tomorrow in my SC in apple juice and have it as our roast. Did one that way on Christmas Eve and it was the best gammon I'd ever tasted. Leftovers will be used in a pie and for sarnies in the week. Spent £60 and another £3.99 in c*-*p on thurs. Both shops I'm including as it was out of january's budget. My budget will go up to 27th this month, as pay day is on the 28th.

Hope everyone had a lovely new year and aren't suffering. I am as I over endulged on the alcohol last night :o

The gammon and apple juice sounds lovely! Is there anything else you put on the slow cooker with it?
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • kippers wrote: »
    Oooh they sound lovely...how do you make them?
    Anyway Happy New Year and good luck with the grocery challenge this year
    Well I made some shortcrust pastry with 8 oz plain flour and 4 oz trex(or stork or whatever)
    I cut out circles-a teaplate is about right-or a saucer-about 6" accross.
    I put dollops of mashed potato(I had leftover mash)onion,chees and some mixed herbs onto each one, folded over in pasty shapes and brushed with beaten egg. Could have used dices pots but wanted to use up the mash! Baked at gas 5 until nice and golden.
    Didnt get around to making quiche today so had some of the above mixture fried in a pan like bubble and squeak with an egg mixed in. Still got to do the chicken curry! Now awake as I slept the afternoon(as I didnt sleep last night)so may well do that any moment. That will then be ready for tomorrow. Chicken soup and pastys now all eaten!
    Now I need to go back and real all the posts on the last 4 pages!:money:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    Hi all :wave:

Happy New Year everybody!

Please could I be in for £250 for January
    Thanks x

Must, must, must be more organised and meal plan, shop with list, post more often, etc...
  • pipkin71 wrote: »
    How do you make your rice pudding, angelatgraceland?

I use the pudding rice, which costs more than shortgrain, so will be interested to hear how it turns out.
    I normally use pudding rice too. I had 4 oz left and I use 2 oz to a pint of milk and an oz of sugar. I wanted to make a 4 pint pudd(for 4/5 of us)so needed more rice. I used 4 oz brown shortgrain, 4 oz brown longrain, 4 oz sugar,4 pts milk. Greased big dish, chucked it all in and grated some nutmet on top. Left in oven on gas 3 for a couple of hours then gas 2 until I could see the rice grains had risen up the side of the dish(I always use a clear pyrex one). I dont like it stodgy or runny! Not sure how long it took-guessg at 3.5 hours. I take it out when it looks right!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2011 at 11:38PM
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Morning all :) just updating spends. I have done a monthly shop for all the random dry stuff needed and my meat order which is quietly sitting in the freezer.

Am I right in thinking that it needs to be totally full to work efficiently? Should i just put bottles of water in it to freeze and keep up the efficiency? Just until it gets totally full LOL!

Have a good new years day everyone!

Well you can also fill it up with black sacks of newspapers. You are quite right in your thinking! Personally I fill any space with reduced bread!

pipkin71 wrote: »
    How do you make your rice pudding, angelatgraceland?

I use the pudding rice, which costs more than shortgrain, so will be interested to hear how it turns out.
    Well pudding rice IS shortgrain-it is the longrain rice which is a lot cheaper. If you compare the grains side by side you will see that the pudding rice is short.
    I normally use pudding rice too. I had 4 oz left and I use 2 oz to a pint of milk and an oz of sugar. I wanted to make a 4 pint pudd(for 4/5 of us)so needed more rice. I used 4 oz brown shortgrain, 4 oz brown longrain, 4 oz sugar,4 pts milk. Greased big dish, chucked it all in and grated some nutmet on top. Left in oven on gas 3 for a couple of hours then gas 2 until I could see the rice grains had risen up the side of the dish(I always use a clear pyrex one). I dont like it stodgy or runny! Not sure how long it took-guessg at 3.5 hours. I take it out when it looks right!
  • rachelww1
    The gammon and apple juice sounds lovely! Is there anything else you put on the slow cooker with it?

No, just an inch or so of apple juice and a bit of seasoning. I cooked it on high for about 5 hours then put it in the oven for about 20 mins with some honey and dijon mustard smeared over it. That was a smaller joint though, so I may cut this one in half and freeze before I cook it.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 :eek: Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    rachelww1 wrote: »
    No, just an inch or so of apple juice and a bit of seasoning. I cooked it on high for about 5 hours then put it in the oven for about 20 mins with some honey and dijon mustard smeared over it. That was a smaller joint though, so I may cut this one in half and freeze before I cook it.

Sounds delicious! Will try this as I have a gammon joint in the fridge which my sister bought for us
  • rachelww1
    janie-h wrote: »
    Sounds delicious! Will try this as I have a gammon joint in the fridge which my sister bought for us

Just remebered, I soaked it overnight first. Wasn't sure if I had to bt could be another reason why it was so tender. HTH x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family