PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Turkey mince

Options
Bought some reduced turkey mince. Anyone any ideas?????

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I had turkey balls for tea tonight :eek:

Made out of left over turkey, chopped onion, breadcrumbs and egg to bind it. Cooked in a tin of tomatos and a few herbs they were really really nice.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • froggergirl
    Options
    Mix with some fresh herbs and throw in a meat loaf tin - anything thats not used can be put in a sandwich with mustard - lovely
    Joined slimming world Feb 2010

Starting weight 14st 3lb
  • megsykins
    megsykins Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    I mix turkey mince in with beef / lamb when making the usual mincey meals (spag bol, shep pie, chilli, etc)
    Cheaper and lowers the fat content :D
  • surfpam111
    Options
    This is one recipe my friend gave me and we both use it with turkey mince as it is healthier and also tastes fab! You cook it in the microwave. - Also turkey mince is cheaper so I often use it in place of beef mince and just add more flavouring with herbs and spices

Get a big (bigger than normal size!) pyrex dish or microwavable bowl.

You will need the following ingredients:

500g of mince

1 jar of dolmio/ragu type sauce (normal size, I think that’s about 500g) (edit I don't buy ready made sauces so just make up my usual sauce)

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

2/3 garlic cloves

2 oxo cubes (beef or chicken) depending on what meat you use

Tomato ketchup

Tomato puree

HP sauce

Worcester sauce

1 large teaspoon of English mustard

1 large white onion

1 ½ teaspoons of hot chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it!)

1 tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce (I sometime you baked beans)

Dice the white onion and mix with the mince. Add all the other ingredients apart from the Kidney beans and mix in well. Make sure you sprinkle the oxo cubes! Don’t need too much sauce, just a squirt of each.

Put clingfilm over the mix and cook on normal for 20 minutes. Take out and take off excess oil and add kidney beans in the chilli sauce. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.

And that’s it!

Hope you like it.
  • wendyf_3
    wendyf_3 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone i now need to go and more more to try all of these suggestions out!!
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Chilli turkey burgers - mix mince with a beaten egg, one finely chopped onion, a teaspoon of worcester sauce and chilli poweder (exact amount depends on your taste!). Shape into thin rounds and and grill for 5-7 mins each side.

Nicola
  • Angelraesunshine
    Options
    needs some ideas please apart from turkey burgers or turkey meatballs what else can i do with turkey mince??
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • rach
    rach Posts: 5,476 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i've used it in chilli, spag bol, shepherds pie etc. it tastes a bit different so i sometimes add a beef stock cube. it is great as its a lot lower in fat than beef or lamb mince
    Mum to gorgeous baby boy born Sept 2010:j
  • HappyIdiotTalk
    Options
    Turkey roulade works quite well. Never made it myself, but they used to serve it in the canteen at work and I enjoyed it enough to order it on a few occasions when it was in.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Advent_2
    Options
    Hiya
    This is a dish that I make using beef mince, but I'm sure you could use turkey. Don't do quantities but you get the idea.
    Garlic, ginger, Finely chopped spring onions, chillies - gently fry in a bit of oil (sesame is nice) add mince, finely chopped mushrooms (can add courgettes, peppers etc to add veggies) good slug of soy sauce I add some liquid chicken stock & dry sherry. Cook til done & reduced then spoon into lettuce - baby gem or cos seems to work best then eat. You can also add noodles the rice ones work well. The ingredients can add up cost wise but they last for ages & I use them in most chinese type dishes anyway.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family