PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What is the point of Mashed Potatoes?

Options
I don’t know why this question hasn’t occurred to me before, but why does anyone bother making mashed potatoes? Potatoes are great baked, roasted, boiled or fried, but they are rubbish if mashed. They taste soapy and personally I find it unsatisfying eating something that doesn’t take any chewing. Yet I imagine (I never made any) that mashing potatoes must be one of the most labour-intensive ways to prepare them. So why does anyone bother? Is it that poor quality potatoes can only be eaten like this?

And if it does make sense to mash potatoes, why not go the whole way? Put all your food in a blender and eat it with a baby spoon?

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean that others don't! I don't care much for chips, roast or fried potatoes. I like jackets, boiled and mashed. I like boulangere potatoes but you would probably find them too labour intensive. I cook food from scratch, that's probably too time consuming for some people but it's what I prefer to do. A bit of effort produces some lovely meals

It would be a dull old world if we all liked the same things.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you find mashed potatoes taste soapy then you are making them wrongly!

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They taste soapy? What spuds are you using or what do you put into them??

We all love mash in my house ~ mine is lovely and fluffy, after adding butter and milk to it.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like it.

Yum Yum!!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    Whats the point of that post?
  • sandiep
    sandiep Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Consider it a good way of exercising.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh my. Mashed potatoes are IT! Lovely with milk and butter (real butter not marg) or even with mayonnaise. Mashed tats with chicken soup poured over is good too.

I love mashed potatoes. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I LOVE mash. But there are all sorts of mash.

Most people add milk/cream etc, I never do. Sometimes I literally just mash the potatoes with a fork, all potatoey and with some lumps. mmmmm

The most I will "make" mashed potatoes is by chucking in a bit of black pepper, knob of butter/margarine, then mash them with a fork and giving them a 15 second "beat around" to get them a bit smoother.

But overall, I love the taste and texture of rough mashed potatoes.

I love eating just cold mash too. Straight out of the fridge, with a big spoon.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 November 2009 at 7:18PM
    Options
    Mashed potatoes do take longer than bunging a potato into the microwave or oven but in my opinion they are well worth the effort. They are real comfort food, especially in winter, that my family love so I think it's well worth the effort.

I agree with the previous posters...it's down to personal choice and if they taste soapy to you, clearly they aren't being made properly.

This thread has lots of tips on making mash taste good:

The Perfect Mashed Potato?

And this thread has lots of delicious variations:

Mash, boring mash!!!

Pink
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I love mash, get some wholegrain mustard in with your butter yummy...

If you start with good ingredients you get good results.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Mashed potatoes made with mascarpone instead of butter/milk is a revelation!:drool:
    [
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family