PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with oodles of leeks?

Options
Just been given two carrier bags full of gorgeous-looking leeks! My expertise in the cookery dept only stretches to finely slicing and sauteeing them in a little olive oil and butter with a bit of garlic. Does anyone have any recipes/ideas for using them please?

Don't suppose it's St David's Day soon is it??? :rotfl:

* and yes I have checked the Old Stylee Recipe Index......ducks to avoid squeaks flying rolling pin :D *
♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Comments

• tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Use them anywhere you'd use onions!
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Leek and potato soup or added to lentil and veg soup.

I had a slice of quiche yesterday made with leeks - YUM! Don't have a recipe, but it looked like they had been sauted before they were added to the pastry case and the egg was poured over the top.
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.deliaonline.com/search/search_results.asp

Try Delia - if you put 'leek' in the search box it brings up some scrummy sounding stuff.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    I love stir fried leeks as an accompaniment. Just chop into rings and seperate. stirfry in some olive oil, add a bit of black pepper and eat - yum.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Bargainloverbec
    Options
    Cheese sauce goes nicely with leeks.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Blanch them then freeze them until you are certain beyond a shadow of a doubt what you want to do with them ... should you require further information on this matter then please feel free to get in touch by PM. 1a_y_wink.gif

• Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some leeks and now not sure what to do with them i only have 3 o not a massive amount but any ideas and i'l be grateful
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Steam them and add a cheese sauce - make a quiche- or soup.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • BungleGirl
    BungleGirl Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    mmmm...I love leeks!

Very simple...but not particularly healthy...slice them up then:-

Put in a frying pan / saucepan with butter (quite a bit) and cook really gently on the lowest setting for 15 - 30 mins (depending how low) serve with anything.

or

Fry gently in a little butter and add some cream and black pepper

There are loads of things to do with them, I will have a think and come back...

I want leeks now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family