PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

oodles of carrots

Options
Have been given a couple of carrier bags full of wonderful, home-grown, organic carrots still with the muck on 'em. Given loads away, steamed 'em, grated 'em, stir-fried 'em and now have run out of ideas :-/

Don't want to waste them as they are really tasty so can anyone suggest any different ways to cook them please? Also, how long will they keep and what's the best way to store them?

Is it true that if you eat loads then you turn orange :-X
Don't really want to look as if I've been 'Tangoed!'
Nice to save.

Comments

• Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Soup!!

Carrot and coriander soup - scrummy!

Roast carrots are fab too - till they are a little black. They go sweet and delicious.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you can pickle them, cant remember exactly but its an indian recipe, i will have a look in the madhur jaffrey book tomorrow as im off to bed soon ;D
    ...or have you ever done bottled veg?
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • crana9
    crana9 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    dont forget raw carrot sticks! - put them in packed lunches, have them as a snack, maybe with some tasty dip :D
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    You could freeze some, you need to blanch them first by putting them into boiling water for a couple of minutes then cooling them quickly in cold water. Freeze them in meal sized portions.

I don't have any recipe handy, but you could make carrot cake :)
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there is a thread on here somewhere for carrot cake, if you look on recipes thread there should be a link

hth
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Carrot & orange soup is nice. Think it was a Weight watchers recipe. Anyway you just make carrot soup then squeese in juice of an orange (to taste) and grated zest making sure you don't get any pith in it. This was based on about 2lb carrots'
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oven roasted?  ...so do you par-boil them first or just whack 'em in raw....I love oven-burnt roasted veg!

Just whack em in raw - we *always* have this with our roast tatties at Christmas - they don't take as long as tatties - maybe half an hour? but in my opinion - the longer the better (well - take them out before the charcoal stage.....)
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    Options
    Dice carrots and a small swede and boil together until soft. Drain, add butter, black pepper and mash like potato. Lovely with Sausage/toad in the hole & less calories than potato if you leave out the butter.
  • chloe99_2
    Options
    carrot cake - yummy

juice them and mix with orange juice - this is fantastic

chop, blanch and freeze if you're really stuck
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    also, juice one, add some oil for a face pack.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport