Sky TV 60% Off Con

Options
I took a Sky offer in February that advertised '60% off Sky TV for 12 months' +£100 credit if you apply online. So I applied online for the deal which was going to cost £18.20 per month for basic TV package and sports. During the chat I explicitly asked that the price was fixed for 12 months and the advisor said 'yes', so I agreed the deal and activated it.

A week ago I had a letter from Sky saying my bill was going up £4.50 from June, because it says they can increase the cost when they want during your contract. So I had a look on my account and saw that £18.20 was correctly billed in March, but future bills for April and May would be £20.00, then June I assume £24.50.

I think this is bang out of order particularly as I deliberately asked the advisor to confirm that the price would be fixed for 12 months (I had Sky TV for 8 years previously and know all about there dodgy price hikes during your contract).

I rang up Sky yesterday to explain themselves and they said the 60% off meant, 60% off whatever they decide the price should be, meaning whatever you sign up for to begin with is meaningless. I've cancelled the contract because I'm still in the cooling off period, so will end in 31 days time.

I've told Sky to look at the transcript of the online chat, because I explicitly asked if the price was fixed for 12 months, which is the bit that made my mind up to agree the deal.

Please be aware of this when you sign up for deals.

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's always been in their terms and conditions for the last few years that they can raise the price of the package during your term

You are still getting your promised discount
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • aralph1
    aralph1 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I know but you missed my main point, - I only agreed the deal because I got the advisor to confirm the £18.20 price was fixed.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    aralph1 wrote: »
    Yes I know but you missed my main point, - I only agreed the deal because I got the advisor to confirm the £18.20 price was fixed.

Do you have evidence of that .
  • aralph1
    Options
    Not at hand, but SKY say they have a copy of the transcript.
    I was very specific to ask for this during the negotiation, because I know the games SKY play with billing.

I'm not asking for a refund or anything, I've just cancelled the contract because I think their sales tactics are very underhand.

The purpose of this post is to make others aware that the prices will increase during their contract despite what the offer is, and whatever you originally agree is meaningless.

If you take a 12 month contract out, surely without making any changes you should expect the payment your making to remain the same. I've never had an issue with other bills elec, water, council tax, mobile phone, TV lic etc.... you just pay the same direct debit every month and carry on.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just cancelled the contract because I think their sales tactics are very underhand.

Does Sky agree that you were told the price was fixed for the entire twelve months? I doubt any trained Sky operator would allow you to believe the deal was for a fixed price.

As others have said, even with an increase, you will still enjoy 60% off.

Can't see any "con", to be honest. You should have read the terms and conditions during the initial cooling off period.
  • aralph1
    Options
    First of all I did cancel the contract, I have an email saying I have an end date of 13th May. The contract initially started 25th Feb.

Sky have the evidence of the chat transcript if they wanted to check my claim.
    I don't have the evidence at hand, but I'm not taking them to court or anything so I'm not concerned. I'm 100% sure on what I negotiated and what the advisor agreed, and know Sky can check the evidence.

I'm not going to 'enjoy' (are you a Sky advisor!?) 60% off an increased amount. What's stopping them increasing my bill to £1000 a month, then saying 'you're only paying £400, because your enjoying 60% off?

The con is they promised I only had to pay £18.20 per month for 12 months and changed then amount almost immediately, with further price hikes on the horizon.
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options

I'm not going to 'enjoy' (are you a Sky advisor!?) 60% off an increased amount. What's stopping them increasing my bill to £1000 a month, then saying 'you're only paying £400, because your enjoying 60% off?

Why havent you read your t&c yet?

• In your minimum term TV/Sky+/Sky HD and Multiscreen prices may increase once by up to 10% of the standard price. Other prices and services may also vary. We will let you know about any material changes before we make them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sky have the evidence of the chat transcript if they wanted to check my claim.
    I see no "con". I also doubt the transcript would show anyone other than you in the wrong here.

All this thread illustrates is that everyone agreeing a contract with Sky (or any provider) should thoroughly read the terms and conditions.

What would you have done if the price had risen outside of your cooling off period?
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    I took a Sky offer in February that advertised '60% off Sky TV for 12 months' +£100 credit if you apply online. So I applied online for the deal which was going to cost £18.20 per month for basic TV package and sports. During the chat I explicitly asked that the price was fixed for 12 months and the advisor said 'yes', so I agreed the deal and activated it.

A week ago I had a letter from Sky saying my bill was going up £4.50 from June, because it says they can increase the cost when they want during your contract. So I had a look on my account and saw that £18.20 was correctly billed in March, but future bills for April and May would be £20.00, then June I assume £24.50.

I think this is bang out of order particularly as I deliberately asked the advisor to confirm that the price would be fixed for 12 months (I had Sky TV for 8 years previously and know all about there dodgy price hikes during your contract).

I rang up Sky yesterday to explain themselves and they said the 60% off meant, 60% off whatever they decide the price should be, meaning whatever you sign up for to begin with is meaningless. I've cancelled the contract because I'm still in the cooling off period, so will end in 31 days time.

I've told Sky to look at the transcript of the online chat, because I explicitly asked if the price was fixed for 12 months, which is the bit that made my mind up to agree the deal.

Please be aware of this when you sign up for deals.

How can you still be in the cooling off period if you took out the contract in February?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • aralph1
    Options
    All I know I took out a contract out on 25th Feb, and its cancellation date is 15th May. Cooling off period or not.

The transcript would clearly show I asked the question is the £18.20 fixed for 12 months?, sky advisor agreeing, then me agreeing to take the package.

Your're all taking me to be a liar here, all I'm explaining is the truth. Might be why Sky let me cancel the contract so easily, cos they saw the transcript with the advisor and realized they were wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure