MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you drink someone else's champagne?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you drink someone else's champagne?

A bottle of champagne arrives at your door from a delivery firm, you sign for it, then the delivery person leavers. You read the card and by the message ‘Dear Deidre, thanks for all your wonderful help’, its clearly not intended for you and none of your neighbours are called Deidre. Yet the address has obviously been done in error, as it unequivicably states your details barring the name. Would you drink the champagne or try and send it back?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:
Can you go giftless to a wedding?
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I would make every effort to send it back short of actually paying to do so. I know I sound smug but I don't like the stuff!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Bonbon
    Bonbon Posts: 564 Forumite
    I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to return it, but I'd keep it for a couple of weeks to see if the delivery guy came back for it. If he didn't then I'd drink it.
  • Riq
    Riq Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    No way, Champagne is awful. It makes me sick just one sip.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • mallymal
    mallymal Posts: 215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would contact the supplier (assuming the card said who they were), giving them a short time span in which to collect, and explaining that if it isn't collected by this date, the champagne will be disposed of. That way you are being honest by giving the firm a chance, but I expect 9 times out of ten they will tell you to keep it, as it's not worth the cost of collecting it. A win win I would say.

And like the rest of the replies, although I'm not wild about the stuff, I'd still probably dispose of it down my neck rather than down my sink! ;)
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I would certainly contact the company who sent it first to tell them about it. Unless we are looking at hundreds of pounds for the bottle then the company who sent it are likely to tell me to keep it. If not, they have a short time to collect it in then I drink it!
  • Johan
    Johan Posts: 67 Forumite
    I would send it back or hold on to it for a while, because the delivery man probably will return for it!
  • I'd contact the company, if it was free and easy to do say (Email, 0800 number or normal landline number [ I get "free" minutes] - I wouldn't ring a mobile or 0870 number and pay to give them their property back!)

Assuming I can get in touch, I'd invite them to collect the item or send me a cheque to cover postage.

If they couldn't be bothered, I'd let the next holders of raffel have it as a prize (charity, local school that sort of thing)
    Please note: I am NOT Martin Lewis, just somebody else called Martyn that likes money saving!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm teetotal.
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm teetotal.

and I'm in recovery :j - to drink it would kill me :doh: (apart from which, like some others, never could stand the taste) so I'd def call the delivery co to come and take it back
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    tell the delivery company they have 7 days to collect it or its mineeeeeeeee
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport