PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

my bunch of roses is wilting, what should I do?

Options
I was given a little bunch of red roses by mr AT 2 days ago, I re-cut the ends on a slant and the water is still clean, why are the heads drooping after 2 days? and what can I do to put them right (before he sees them!)

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cut the steams again and crush the ends and pop in boiling water should make them put there heads up again.

Try it with one if you are not keen just to test.

Have done it before with roses before.

Enjoy.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Try cutting the stems again about half an inch up from the bottom and submerge the fresh cut ends into boiling water for about 30 seconds. You should see little air bubbles escaping from the cut ends of the stems. If not dont worry you cant always see them if the water's still bubbling / if your container gets steamy.

You're supposed to do this when you first get them so not sure if it will 'lift' the heads but it definitely makes them last longer.

Other than that not sure if you can do the same trick with roses as tulips which is to pierce the stem about 1/2 an inch under the flower all the way through with a needle - it works every time with droopy tulips.

HTH
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I seem to remember that aspirin in the water helps or a copper coin but do not know why.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Right OK, I've done that, thank you - I'll report back to let you know if it was too late. I don't get given roses very often as you can tell! It isn't the end of the world if they don't recover, they were just from the greengrocers so not a major anniversary pressie but it's the thought that counts as always.
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    Put them in whisky for about 2mins works a treat, and then have a free tipple of rose whisky.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Make sure they're not too warm.

If they're in direct sunlight, like on the windowsill, they'll droop so put them somewhere where it's cooler and out of the sun.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely it's the thought that counts. But no matter where they're from I'd be disappointed if they didnt last longer than a couple of days.

And there's always the possibility Mr A-T might make a mental note that "roses are rubbish, they didnt last" and then you'd be getting them even less regularly!! ;)

Can't beat a lovely vase filled with beautiful fresh flowers - lucky you A-T hope this works so you can enjoy them for a little longer.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • albreda
    albreda Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    it's the thought that counts as always.

That's lovely.

Whisky, hot water, coins, aspirin and pins....just the threat of all things things ought to bring them to attention!! :T

Isn't there one about lemonade too?
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    albreda wrote:
    ........Isn't there one about lemonade too?

there's one about bleach! Add a few drops of bleach to flower water to stop it going all green and manky and slimey. Helps flowers last longer too.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• albreda
    albreda Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    my life....and they say mixing your drinks is a bad thing - sounds like Roses get all the fun :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure