Money Moral Dilemma: Should you give your best mate a £1 pressie?

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should you give your best mate a £1 pressie?

It’s your closest, oldest friend’s birthday and you’ve been racking your brains about what to get them. Normally you spend £30-ish on each other. But then you spot a loophole on the magazine offers thread to get their favourite perfume/aftershave free with a £1 subscription. It’s worth £30 and is the kind of pressie you might have picked out anyway. Yet you feel a twinge of guilt about only forking out £1, when they always spend more. Should you give your best friend a pressie that cost a quid?
Click reply to have your say
Previous MMDs:
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Nah, it's tight

Give them the perfume / aftershave they like and get something else (maybe related from the same range). You'll look really generous and have only spent as much as you normally would.
  • V_Chic_Chick
    V_Chic_Chick Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Course, they won't know the difference :D

I've done similar things before lol.
  • pinkpig08
    pinkpig08 Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    I did this for the kids at Christmas and designed a voucher for it. If it was my best friend I'd get them this but a bit of something else too.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)
  • If it is exactly as the dilemma says above, then yes, I would.
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • Yes, I'd do it! If it's the sort of ting I'd buy anyway, what does it matter? I'd not be bothered if a friend of mine did the same - shows they're not daft. Also, if I gave them the perfume AND bought something else, they'd probably then feel they had to get me more for my birthday which would be even more money to spend!
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yes its the thought that counts
    people are too hung up on price tags and not on the fact that you have bought them something they like

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I would rather somebody spent £1 on something I really wanted, enjoyed and would get pleasure from than £120 on 'stuff' that was a meaningless waste of money. Thought really does count.
    (OH please note!)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Nancy888
    Nancy888 Posts: 243
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Absolutely - yes I would - call me a cheap skate but if it's the genuine thing and it was her favourite then it doesn't matter how I bought it. It's only like giving her the 'free' item from a 3 for 2 deal from Boots at Christmas
    Anywhere is within walking distance - if you have the time!!
  • Yes, and that would be all i would buy. My lads best friend is having one of the "free" items that i got in games workshop when i spent a hundred on my son`s birthday present last week for his birthday.( All the family clubbed together to pay the bill as the deals were better on a larger spend)
  • MrDT
    MrDT Posts: 951 Forumite
    If it's what you'd have bought anyway, where's the harm in getting it a little cheaper?

I'd maybe 'top up' with a little 'extra' present they wouldn't have got otherwise, but if that present cost a fiver they get what they really want, an extra present, and it still only cost £6 instead of £30 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure