Excel Parking finally take someone to court over an unpaid 'parking ticket'..and LOSE

Options
I have posted previously about receiving a parking ticket from Excel Parking and simply not paying because it is not enforceable.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=7121071&postcount=365

Excel Parking finally took the organiser of an action group - set up to protest about Excel - to county court to try and enforce one of their 'parking tickets' (and maybe make an example of them). Please follow the link to find out how they get on.

http://www.chad.co.uk/news/Judge-says-Excel-parking-fines.3903396.jp

'But the far more important issue was that the judge found there was no justification for the £100 fine. He said it was a penalty charge and therefore unenforceable by the court.'

'The Judge found Excel had conned locals into believing they had parked illegally –– when that simply was not true.'

PLEASE DO NOT PAY ANY OF THESE 'PARKING FINES' FROM THESE COWBOY COMPANIES. JUST IGNORE THEM AND THEIR THREATENING LETTERS WITH THEIR DISHONEST LEGAL MUMBO JUMBO. THEY EVENTUALLY STOP SENDING THEM.

Oh and those people who have paid in the past - maybe you should claim your money back.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst I am not commenting on the ethics of these companies, to put this into perspective the case was only heard at County Court. Therefore remember that this does not set a precedent (though it may be seen as persuasive authority).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Whilst I am not commenting on the ethics of these companies, to put this into perspective the case was only heard at County Court. Therefore remember that this does not set a precedent (though it may be seen as persuasive authority).

Hopefully Excel will appeal and lose, so that a precedent CAN be set.

Do you think they will? No, me neither.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is very good news, well done that judge! :T
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    Great news! :T

I love the way the local MP doesn't mince his words and describes Excel as a "rogue" company. :T
  • chuckles1066
    chuckles1066 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    Great news! :T

I love the way the local MP doesn't mince his words and describes Excel as a "rogue" company. :T

On the contrary, he minced his words better than Julian Clary at a John Inman tribute get-together.

Calling them "a bunch of cowboy scammers" would have earned him plenty more kudos......
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
  • paulob_2
    Options
    Hello, it appears that Excell are still trying to con people. I have received a parking ticket when I never even got out of my car. However the car was hired through work and the ticket went to (my now ex) girlfriends house. I would like to resolve this quickly rather than just ignoring it. Any advice to get this resolved quickly? I’d prefer not to just ignore it….
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The quickest and easiest way to resolve it is pay the money, however that is not what you want to hear so if you feel up to the hassle you will get, just ignore it.

Stan
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    st999 is right - the only quick resolution to a disputed invoice is to pay. Don't though, live with a few letters.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 April 2010 at 11:16PM
    Options
    If its important to you to sort this you must bear in mind that the hire company may well pay and charge extra for the privilege.I don't know how you'll sort this one out as its with your ex.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    Help! I got a parking ticket last year from Excel and have ignored the 3 letters I've been sent so far as advised. However, this morning I got a letter from a debt collection agency telling me my debt had been passed on to them and I have 7 days to pay or they will instruct a solicitor to take it to court.
    I'm scared. I really don't want to go to court, I work for the County Council and would have to tell my employer. I'm scared the debt collection agency will come banging on my door. I'm worried that I haven't read about things being taken this far before.
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts