Moneysavingexpert.com/Best Cashback cards discussion area

Options
This discussion relates to the updated Best Cashback Cards article.

Click reply to discuss.
Former MSE team member

Comments

• roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Smile offers 0.5% cashback on all credit card purchases and has been consistent over the last few years.
    They also offer 4.25% on their savings account if you have a smile current account (which also gives 3.3%). Yes you can get higher rates on savings accounts, but consider that transfers may take 6 to 8 days worth of savings interest, whereas with the smile current account and smile savings account, transfers are instant. Very handy as you can keep money in the savings account with the comfort of knowing it transfers immediately when bills need paying.
  • kerrazoo
    kerrazoo Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi folks,

Went for the American Express card after seeing the reports and some good feedback on here, it's been quite good, although I think the only problem is that it isn't quite as generally accepted as some of the other cards. But still you can't complain
  • leenvee
    Options
    It may not be the best cashback, but I have not seen the Egg Blue card mentioned. This gives 0.5% on any purchases and you can get one if you have an Egg Green card (the one you dont use!) Its far better than 0.01%
    :D
  • crankup
    crankup Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree with Leenvee, I got a blue Egg card now for general use for the 0.5% cashback. If you've got a green one already then it's a doddle to apply. The green one will now sit dormant waiting for an anniversary offer. :)

Its worth noting that if you are already stoozing an MBNA card (Virgin etc) then you're not likely to be able to get the Conran Card or Abbey Card as they are MBNA-related.
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

• Fastflys
    Fastflys Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As from 17th July 2005

Extract from letter received in June 2005

The following change affects any transaction where you electronically transfer money, e.g. money orders, wire transfers and gambling transactions. These will now be classed as cash transactions and will incur the handling fees for cash transactions..............

So beware, if you now use the Conran card to purchase your Littlewoods Pools entry for example, MBNA will charge you a cash transaction fee.

Some years ago Goldfish card tried to introduce the same charges. Then, we the people let our feelings known and Goldfish refunded the charges and scrapped the fee.

I suggest Conran card holders do the same. Don't let MBNA get away with it.
    ;)Do It To Them Before They Do It To You ;)
  • Jacster_2
    Jacster_2 Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    Options
    I've had an AMEX blue for 3 months. I've used it for spending and company expenses, so some of my cash back is for money I've not even really spent!!:T

I used to moan about not getting a company credit card for expenses, now I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole cos I'd lose my cash back!

AMEX is a really user friendly card, with good service from the call centre. I particularly like chip and signature, although they are planning to change this next year. Acceptability is just a fact of AMEX and one of the reasons they pay more cashback, so I put up with it.

Re the above posts, I know 0.5% is better than nothing, but why not have a card that pays you twice as much for the same spending?:confused: If you don't like AMEX for acceptability reasons there is Morgan Stanley...
    If it was easy, everyone would do it!
  • dadrock
    dadrock Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    There were a lot of posts in the last Cashback discussion where Morgan Stanley seemed to be problematic. Is that still the case?
  • chickpea
    chickpea Posts: 713 Forumite
    Options
    I applied for and was offered a Morgan Stanley Platinum card last month. (This is the one offering 2% for the first few months, then 1% on spending up to 2k thereafter, and 0.5% for additional spending.)

The confirmation came within 2 days, I had an additional card for my husband, it's all sorted and so far so good!

I much preferred this experience to when I applied for a Nationwide card around the same time, which I plan to use for overseas purchases - I don't know if the fact I'd just applied for the MS card looked bad on my credit rating or what, but Nationwide would only offer me 1k credit, compared to about 8k on MS. And it took over a month from filling out the form to getting my card+pin!

What's annoying about that is that I've nevr paid a bill late, between us we earn good money, have whackloads of savings and have not moved house in over 2 years so are on the voters registration list. So why only 1k?!
  • Omertron
    Omertron Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    Are all of the card's cashback paid anually or do some pay monthly? - better in my hands than theirs ;)
    - = I also recognise the Robins and beep for them = -
  • CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    Smile pays its cashback monthly, credited back to your visa account.

CP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport