Ebay Challenge for March

I remember this was done for several months back last year. I really need some motivation to clear out our junk room so hope this will give me the kick I need.

Who else is in?

I do have a spreadsheet that another MSE'er created during a similar challenge last year that can be used for working out your profit (now updated with new ebay fees). If you want it, drop me a PM with your email address.

Object: Make as much money as you can from stuff you no longer need/use in the house/garage/garden/shed etc.

Rules: You can sell anything you want on Ebay that you haven't purchased to sell on.
Take off all costs, ebay fees, cost of packaging, postage and Paypal fees, what your left with is your profit.

Counted in and target and result
Welshlassie - £380 - £45
poorandindenial - £100 - £35
Little Chicken - £500 - £310.22
Buffythedebtslayer -
Benthosboy -
Wannabefree - whatever can get
Pollydaydream - £100
PENNYWISE - £200
karenf -
debt free me -
pandapaws - £200 - £0
Debtfree2015 - £400
Lelc - whatever can get
TurnaroundSue - £50
Cleosmum - £100
LilDevil - £250 - £135
Yorkielass - £100
onamission -
nimbo - £100
CBI - £250
ikkleosu - £100
chocolate.orange -
loadedlaura - £100
ANY CHANCE - £300
Birdie 1985 - £100
SarahNeedle1872 - £100
Diane_239 - £200
nevadagirl - £400 - £320.63
JenaRose - £150 - £98.63
Floxxie - £200
eshkie - £100
bloomers5 - £60
candyblue - £150
unixgirluk - £80
allisonj - £200
susielou - £150
bigpaws23 - £100 - £155.10
Little.Miss.Sunshine - £100
r.mac - £100
jayniep - £200
mcrfan -
sue09 - £150
Lemon Tree £150
Sarahx
Sazzledazzle - £100
larlie1983 - £75
dobs - £30

If I've missed anyone out, sorry not intentional, just trying to keep up with adding everyone. Drop me a PM or draw my attention to it some other way.

Good luck everyone

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• I'll have a crack at this. Not long had a big clear out but I am sure I can muster up a load of stuff to chuck on there.
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Me too - i'm in to make £500...fingers crossed.
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • hmmmmm. i am doing the 10 pounds a day challenge, but I shall post here too, since i am fairly pants at ebay and always get my postage wrong.

I shall start Sunday, possibly slightly hungover but selling my shoes (sob Sob, so many pretty shoes that I don't wear sob)

xx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Due to my present "state", as in: the wife is leaving me, how much do you need in a campervan, I've got a s**tload of stuff to get rid of. I've never done ebay before, is it hard work? It looks a lot of work setting up a Paypal account to me :confused:

Martyn.
    LBM: 12.2.08.
    Debt-free as of July '09 :j and determined not to go there, ever again :mad:
    DFW Nerd Club #902 Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • if you use the turbo lister - which you can down load from E bay it can be fairly straightforward

Paypal is a bit od Godsend in many ways so I would do it, I think it was easy to do but I have had my account for a few years and can't remember setting it up!

the E bay site has good tutorial thingies to follow which I shall be reinvestigating - if I find anything super good I will let you know!
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Paypal is a pain in the bum, I'll give you that but once it is done it is done - if you see what I mean.

Also I find listing stuff a bit of a pain, it is easier if you download turbo lister as you can do templates that you use for everything and just save a new description etc - oh the only thing with turbo lister is that I couldn't work out how to do a low reserve (it kept on insisting on £50 or nowt) but that is probably my own incompetence.

My top tips are make sure you really protect your ID. Make sure you have different passwords for paypal, ebay and your email accounts; I would also use a different email for paypal and for ebay.

Right - count me in to make £100
    £34,547 (Dec 07); Current debt: £zilch (Debt free December 2010)
    Sealed Pot #389 (2010=£133)
  • Welshlassie
    Welshlassie Posts: 1,731
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Paypal is a pain in the bum, I'll give you that but once it is done it is done - if you see what I mean.

Also I find listing stuff a bit of a pain, it is easier if you download turbo lister as you can do templates that you use for everything and just save a new description etc - oh the only thing with turbo lister is that I couldn't work out how to do a low reserve (it kept on insisting on £50 or nowt) but that is probably my own incompetence.

My top tips are make sure you really protect your ID. Make sure you have different passwords for paypal, ebay and your email accounts; I would also use a different email for paypal and for ebay.

Right - count me in to make £100
    You can't put a reserve on for less than £50 these days. If you want it to be lower you just need to start your auction at the price you want for it.

I agree Paypal can be a pain in the a**e but it does mean things are sorted much quicker, auction ends, people pay, you send stuff out, items aren't hanging around for at least another week while waiting for cheques to arrive and clear.
  • Welshlassie
    Forumite
    Benthosboy wrote: »
    Due to my present "state", as in: the wife is leaving me, how much do you need in a campervan, I've got a s**tload of stuff to get rid of. I've never done ebay before, is it hard work? It looks a lot of work setting up a Paypal account to me :confused:

Martyn.
    Its as hard work as you make it, the better you describe something I find you tend to get a higher price for things and less come back as people don't complain the item was misdescribed/not enough info.

My best tip would be to get yourself a set of kitchen scales and weigh everything before listing it and then plug the weight into the Royal Mail website plus a little bit for packaging costs and use that figure as a starting point for setting your postage costs. Also have a look at your local freecycle site, people always seem to be giving away packaging materials. I have loads of tissue paper, jiffy bags and bubble wrap the other day. Will keep me going for a good while. I also swear by Turbo Lister, especially now you can synchronise it to ebay and download unsold listing to amend/relist.
  • Welshlassie
    Forumite
    Not sure how much I'm likely to get for the stuff I have put to one side, but I'm going to give myself a target of £380 as this is the shortfall between our incomings and outgoings at the moment, now my DH has finished work to look after our son. Our savings are there to cover it, but don't want to dip into them too much.
  • Yeh i`ll join you in this challenge too. Not sure how much i`ll get but hey, its better than nothing!!
    AT LBM 7/1/08 (£24,018.09)- 25/09/11 (£13,032.25) - 26.04.15 - £6,429.70
    LLOYDS TSB CARD £1,168.56 Loan 1LLOYDS TSB £5,261.14
    :j Heading in the right direction!
    Its taking so long......:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business