We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Barclays Bank New ISA 6.50 AER

Options
From 3rd March :beer: :j :beer: :j :beer: :j :beer:
http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/savings/bestbuys/mini-cash-isa.aspx

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j

Wonder if anybody will topple the rate. :D

Comments

• PParka
    PParka Posts: 265 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Do you think they'll accept transfers from last years Barclays Tax Beater ISA ???

If I was a betting man, I'd say not !
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PParka wrote: »
    Do you think they'll accept transfers from last years Barclays Tax Beater ISA ???

If I was a betting man, I'd say not !
    Likewise... However, I'm planning on calling them up to see what they say, and moving away to a competitor if the Tax Beater rate doesn't stay high enough (which is likely given their recent letter announcing that they're removing the guarantee to stay at a higher rate than 2% BELOW base rate!)
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Likewise... However, I'm planning on calling them up to see what they say, and moving away to a competitor if the Tax Beater rate doesn't stay high enough (which is likely given their recent letter announcing that they're removing the guarantee to stay at a higher rate than 2% BELOW base rate!)

Best thing with 2007/08 Taxbeater ISA is to be thinking of a new home for it around 30 days before the 1% bonus is due to be taken off as its probable the rate will fall 0.25% around 3rd March with further Base Rate falls also probable during the 2008/09 tax year.

Someone posted last week a belief that Barclays will be allowing its Branches to open the new ISA so as to avoid Taxbeater ISA account openings problems recurring.
  • Innys
    Innys Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    Options
    If you have more than £9k and don't need access to the money, the Lloyds product has to be a better bet.

After all, interest rates are only likely to go one way in the next 12 months.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Innys wrote: »
    If you have more than £9k and don't need access to the money, the Lloyds product has to be a better bet.

After all, interest rates are only likely to go one way in the next 12 months.

True just that not everybody has 9000 in easily accessible ISAS. ;)

Id also say that if 6.15% One year fixes are still available on 6th April they will be a better bet than Barclays variable rate ISA for people who dont have 9000.00 in easily accessible ISAS for reasons that you mention. ;)
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    If you can lock money away for 4 years (and I know not everybody can) Halifax FR ISA offers a decent 6.20%.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    If you can lock money away for 4 years (and I know not everybody can) Halifax FR ISA offers a decent 6.20%.

Has their been a forecast of low interest rates 2/3 years into the future ? :think:

My reading indicates that the Deputy Bank Governor is extremely concerned about inflation.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=431115&in_page_id=2

I agree a 1 year or possibly 2 year 6.15% fix to be a good idea, i wouldnt want to second guess past 2 years into the future.

While some people will be happy to fix for 3 or 4 years, nobody can say today that 6.20% is a decent rate 2, 3 or 4 years ahead as interest rates could leap up in 2 years time, someone might say well they could be lower in 2/3 years time, true but unlikely imo as interest rates usually rise after a General Election.
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    When I say decent - I'm comparing it to what else is available on the market at the moment. No-one can know what's going to happen in future and anyway my limited knowledge of 'gurus' forecasts is that they, more often than not, tend to be wrong.

I'd happily settle for 6.2% interest net of tax on all my savings over the next 4 years if I could get it.

As with all things, some you win and some you lose - last year I completed a 5 year 5.55% Leeds ISA and the only time it was slightly uncompetitive was during the last 3 months - for most of the time it was well ahead of the 'going rate'.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    last year I completed a 5 year 5.55% Leeds ISA and the only time it was slightly uncompetitive was during the last 3 months - for most of the time it was well ahead of the 'going rate'.

To be fair u arent really very far into the 5 year term yet to be able to judge.

Most MSE frequenters have been earning 6.05% + on their ISAS during the last 12 months, so im suprised by your belief that it has only been during the last 3 months that a 5.55% rate has been uncompetitive.

e.g even after current rate falls, NS&I is now down to 5.8% ish ( having been at as high or higher levels throughout the last 12 Months)

Barclays Tax Beater ISA after March 1st will be around the 6.51%AER level. (having been at a as high or higher level throughout the last 12 Months) You may say well the 1% bonus will be getting removed in a few months, true will take many Base Rate decreases for the 6.25% ISA rates that Barclays ISA can be transferred to to get down to 5.55% rate level.

As u are aware many are fixing with Nationwide for 1 and 2 years at 6.15% * that rate has been available since July 2007 and those with 9000 in accessible ISA savings are fixing for 12 months at 6.50%. ( before that many fixed with Halifax for differing amount of years at over 6%)

Will also take 4 Base rate decreases for this Barclays ISA issue to get down to 5.55% ish.

Anyway im gonna say u seem to have made a very shrewd move by fixing at 5.55% even though i neither believe so nore would i recommend that anybody fixes so long into the future.
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From my own memory, 5.55% for the last 5 years (completed last year) was not bad at all.

By the way, just checked:-

Feb 2002 base rate is 4%
    Feb 2003 base rate is 3.75%
    Feb 2004 base rate is 4%
    Aug 2005 base rate is 4.5%
    Aug 2006 base rate is 4.75%
    Dec 2007 base rate is 5.5%

Of course, ISA interest rate normally higher than the base rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport