PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

making homemade cheese

Options
My late mum was a frugal cook out of necessity - having four kids and one low income. We had a couple of goats and I have memories of mum having cheese in muslin cloths hung up in the pantry which slowly dripped whey(?) into a bowl.

Does anyone make their own cheese? Anyone know the technique and have any recipes to share?

Mum used the excess goats milk for her cheese but I'm assuming that I can use supermarket cows milk too?
Enjoying an MSE OS life :D

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have made paneer very successfully, you only need milk and lemon juice. Boil the milk then leave it to cool to 'hand hot', add the lemon juice (i think a couple of tablespoons) and it will curdle. Strain it into a muslin cloth then hang it up overnight - on a kitchen tap is ideal!
    Then you have a very basic, but nice tasting cheese. Have you tried the river cottage website? I got the paneer recipe from an old Madhur Jaffrey book.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks SaverSarah, I'll try this. I'll also go to River Cottage ...

I'll have to buy some new muslin nappies as this seems to be the best way to get some good muslin squares.
  • apple_mint
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    I have made paneer very successfully, you only need milk and lemon juice. Boil the milk then leave it to cool to 'hand hot', add the lemon juice (i think a couple of tablespoons) and it will curdle. Strain it into a muslin cloth then hang it up overnight - on a kitchen tap is ideal!
    Then you have a very basic, but nice tasting cheese. Have you tried the river cottage website? I got the paneer recipe from an old Madhur Jaffrey book.

Can you remember how much milk you used Sarahsaver?
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a quart (2 pints) and 2 and a half tbs lemon juice. Sorry for being vague in the first place! I made it for a large cheese party and won first prize for most interesting cheese, as i made the cheese then put it in some oil with achari masala (indian pickle spices)
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • apple_mint
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you SarahSaver, I'm going to try this. I saw a demonstration today by a cheese maker and it has inspired me. I don't think it will be money saving but I do think it will be interesting to see what home made cheese tastes like and like you I'd like to try and experiment.
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it is moneysaving cos you are able to make something which you are 100% sure of the origin of the ingredients;)
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    What is the difference between cream cheese and soft cheese?

I want to make the stuff that goes on the top of a cheesecake but all recipes I've found say blah, blah and cream (or soft?) cheese but dont tell you how to make it.

Can you make it in a yoghurt maker?
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • Nutty_Nora_2
    Options
    I had exactly the same thing recently. I used soft cheese, Tesco's own (like philly) and it turned out fine.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    You can make a very passable copy of Philly with home made yogurt that was made with full cream milk, you strain it through muslin overnight in the fridge. It comes out as a spreadable slightly sweet creamy cheese. Costs next to nothing
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both of you.

i've just been to Lakeland and bought a yoghurt maker so will be trying it out tomorrow.

I gues I will have to practice with some differnt flavourings and different milks.:beer:
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport