THE PERFECT PREZZIE FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS EVERYTHING

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
I like this idea. Here you buy a useful gift for someone in the developing world e.g. a fishing net or care for an orphaned child; they get the prezzie and your friend gets a card telling them what’s been done in their name.

For more details see Greatgifts.org

Click reply to give feedback.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• I like it too, someone posted on your Charity Christmas Card thread that he has ordered chickens for someone on the occasion of his daughter's birthday.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I like this idea to, makes you think at christmas/birthdays how much we spend on ourselves when even just £5 could change someones life in a developing country.

I have just purchased 4 pressies off my christmas list from here
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, Martin. I was really stumped as to what to get my dad, for birthday and Christmas. He keeps saying he doesn't want anything, but he's always chuffed to receive. This way, everyone will be happy. Great post. :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Last year I gave my father and stepmother sponsorship of a child in Ruwanda (? spelling) for Christmas..........

They are the classic people who have everything, and they were delighted. They have the opportunity to personally correspond with the little girl concerned and it's probably given them more pleasure than any material gift could have given them, while at the same time ensuring her a good education.

I consider it £15 a month well spent.

Pink
  • What a great idea!! just purchased 2 christmas presents (goat and a sheep) and i will def get my daughter something too........seem like a good way of teaching her that we are not all as fortunate as here in Britain. Great post martin thanks ;):)
  • jmf
    jmf Posts: 148 Forumite
    What a wonderful site. I will definitely use it as part of my Christmas gifts. A little less spent on the present and a gift from this site to make up the rest.
    Makes you realise how lucky we are and how we take most things for granted.
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think this is an amazing and thought provoking site many thanks for finding this lets hope lots of people use it and make someone elses life a little brighter. :)
    :p
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    I don't know if this is the same thing, but Oxfam are doing this too - my mum just bought 10 chickens for £10 for her friend's birthday. I think it is a fantastic idea, having just had my birthday yesterday and not wanting anything but people still want to buy you something it's perfect. Well, the truth is there are things I want but they are big things like new house, car, garden makeover etc - not realistic things to ask for at all! I think if I bought my 4 year old 10 chickens for Christmas she would want to see them, or a goat or a sheep. It would be too hard to explain they are for someone else!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    there are some great ideas on here. :) and a couple i think i can use. ;)
  • WORLD VISION have been doing this for ages.Their ALTERNATIVE GIFT CATALOGUE is unique and you can buy catarract operations to apple trees.Every gift purchased comes with a fantastic presentation card/certificate sent to the person of your choice.I would highly recommend it.World Vision are also looking for child sponsors in developing countries from as little as £10 a month.Worth every penny.Check out their website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure