Is there anything positive in being skint?

Just as the title says? I'm trying to look on the positive side after living off porridge and water for the past 2 days as I eagerly await pay day! I'm hoping to compile a list which I'll stick on my noticeboard in the kitchen to remind me!

At the moment, I'll start with:

1 - I no longer waste money;
2 - I do understand the real value of money;
3 - I have ventured into the bottom drawer of the fridge (which is never opened!) and started using all the frozed veg that lurks in there and have found quite a few uses for cauliflower and runner beans!

Anything else?
threadbanner.gif
Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!

Comments

• elle45
    elle45 Posts: 930 Forumite
    It shows you are a great survivor!:j
    You are using up stuff you would normally throw out. You won't feel guilty when you see starving children in Africa!:o
    You have'nt got germs on your hands, handling money, less likely to pick up a bug!:cool:
    Sunday 23rd September 2007 I came to my senses and discovered fresh air!!:j
    :hello: ELLO! :hello:
  • You'll live longer probably. And you will probably be healthier in terms of height/weight etc. Just make sure you eat lowish calorie and get your fruits and veg (as you seem to be doing).:cool:

This based on studies on rats that showed if they were given a reduced calorie diet, they lived longer. Some humans are trying out this lifestyle and they claim it gives them positive results.

Suggest you google Calorie restricted diets if you are interested.

HTH
    If you are at a poker game and you cannot figure out who is the patsy then guess what...you're the patsy - Warren Buffet
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    1. Yes, you can maybe lose weight by eating more dense, healthy, cheaper food like rice, porridge and lentils.

2, Get fit by not using public transport/ car and replacing it with completely free walking.:p

(It's great that you are learning the true value of money. I used to withdraw £10 a day and spend it on mags and chocolate and then wonder where all my money went.:rolleyes: )
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • zcrat41
    zcrat41 Posts: 1,728
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I feel so much more in control and happier now I'm not burying my head in the sand. And I enjoy what I do spend my money on far more. I used to buy a couple of magazines a week and not really read them, now when i do buy one its a real treat. And I've lost lots of weight!
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    When you do buy something special you appreciate it more
    You know that when things do improve you have leant not to blow your money on junk so in the long term will be financially more secure and apprecative of what you have instead of discontented.
    You wouldn't have found MSE and all the lovely people who post here if you weren't skint !!
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • You don't have to go out into the cold to shop.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    1) you know that one day you will not be skint, and when that is no one but YOU will be deciding how you spend your money
    2) you find ways to reduce, reuse and recycle so helping the plante
    3) you feel really proud when you get a real bargain, by getting a price, then going via a cash back site, and then using a voucher from the voucher board to get it even cheaper!
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
    115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Yes that's true you can declare your green credentials as you only buy charity shop clothes now.

Also you can tell people how their designer trainers were made in sweatshops and feel ever so superior to them!:rotfl:
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • oo I love threads like this!!
    1) YOu learn the true value of money
    2) Find out who your friends are (and arent sometimes)
    3) Hunting a bargain pressie/item of clothing is really satisfyig
    4) You get excited when you find a 50p off token and proudly haggle with customer services
    5) real treats like mag subscriptions that you paid a bomb for you now get for free with tesco points
    6) You learn the joy of living simply and learning how to cook
    7) Your friends love you when you make them jam
    8) You know you have THE best deal on the market for all your insurance & happily tell people how much you save
    9) You receive a cheue for £275 for council tax rebate - something you wouldnt think of before your lightbulb moment
    10) You now know that some brand names are actually exactly the same as non branded
    11) A treat is now a treat rather than an everday occurence
    12) You realise how much waste there was in your life before & never want to go there again
    13) You have an allotment & grow your own delicious veg while getting free excercise & making lovely mates who give you free veg & cook lovely meals!
    14) You really CAN make something out of nothing
    15) You know you've learned your lesson and will never repeat this particular mistake on such a grand scale
    16) You have a wealth of friendship, information & advuce from lots of lovely DFW's
    17) You get to have a sat night party for free and while still in your pj's
    18) You display your money saving car sticker (free!) with pride!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Thanks for all the posts of encouragement. I got up this morning feelin reet sorry for myself, I'm down to my last tenner and pay day is a long way off. I set off walking to a netto thats an hour walk from here to get some basics in, and to save £3 bus fares. On my way I had a good think about how far I've come in the debt war, and how some people in the world walk far longer just to collect water each day. On the way back I met a lady with triplets, they were so cute, I stopped to "talk to a horse " that was hangin over a fence, a boy and his dad were out with a hawk in another field. I was trashed when I got home but you know what, I feel grateful I have the choice to walk when and where I want and aprieciate the small corner of my world. This may sound right corny but, you can decide to be up or down its up to you.:D
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills