The Great ‘Store Returns Policy’ Hunt. Who, what, where and when?

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
What's it all about?

Everyone knows that buy things at Marks & Spencer and you can return it no quibbles. However many think this is a legal right; it isn't, unless there's a problem with the goods bought in store you've no right of return (see Know your consumer rights article).

So I wanted to find out your experience of each major store to compile the info... any help especially from store staff who know the policies would be great.

How to fill out the info

Please reply in the following way...
  • Store/Chain Name:
  • Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... is this alloed
  • Does it offer a full refund or credit note?
  • Did you need to have your receipt/a copy of the credit-card statement?
  • Is there any time limit? Is it seasonal?
  • Are you a customer or employee/former employee?
  • Anything else people should know...
Martin :)

PS THANKS IN ADVANCE
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I would not say that M&S is as flexible as it used to be:
    • Marks and Spencer
    • Goods can be returned for whatever reason
    • Full refund offered by whatever means paid as long as you have your receipt
    • Yes, otherwise you will only receive credit note to the current selling value of the item
    • 90 days
    • Customer
    • They are now much stricter on the time limit. Though it is still very generous, it used to be pretty much open ended
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Ardsguy
    Ardsguy Posts: 51 Forumite
    Argos
    30 Day Money-Back Guarantee on most items (some are exempt; Mp3's, Mobiles, Digital Cameras etc). Item needs to be unused, in original packaging
    Full refund available within 30 days
    If a receipt is present, refund will be by the method of payment. If no receipt, refund will be in form of a gift voucher for the price at which the item is currently selling
    30days - not seasonal
    Current Employee
    Exempt items can be returned if bought over the phone or on argos.co.uk - due to statutory Distance Selling Regulations.
    My views and opinions are my own and do not represent those of my employer or any other organisation or individual
  • SportsWorld
    NO REFUNDS, but goods are returnable. Not sure of time limit.
    Credit note offered if you want to change your mind.
    Receipt is required.
    I am not sure of the time limit.
    I was a customer.
    I rang head office and explained that there were no other items in their store which were suitable for exchange. They asked me to write in, including the credit note and they kindly sent me a cheque refund.
    'No refunds' notices are by the tills (I noticed them when I returned the goods DOH!).
    Hope this helps,
    Thanks.
    Lunch is for wimps!
  • Toys R US
    I was given a birthday present for my daughter earlier this year which I wanted to return. I had no receipt & would have been happy to accept a credit note, but they wouldn't even give me that as I had no proof that I had bought it. When you go into the shop, you go straight to the returns desk before entering the store, so obviously not stolen. I have never come across this before and will think twice before shopping there in future.
  • Babbler
    Babbler Posts: 3,083
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Blacks!

Excellent returns policy - up to 90 days from purchase as long as its in original condition! Bought stuff online and was amazed by this :)

Receipt is required.
    Being bored is so boring Im bored of it... :rotfl:
  • John Lewis
    you can return pretty much any item at pretty much any time!
    I work for a wholesaler who supplies jewellery to almost every JL store plus JL.com. We receive customer returns which were bought a year ago, many are obviously worn and one bracelet was in three bits, looked like it had been run over! they also seem to accept pierced earrings even when they are not faulty.
    definite no quibble returns policy!

threadbanner.gif
    • Matalan
    • Accepts returns if you change your mind.
    • Full refund if you have your receipt and its within 28 days from date of purchase. If you don't have the receipt its exchange or store vouchers only - and same again if you are over 28 days, regardless of whether you have receipt.
    • If there are any visible signs or wearing on clothes they will not be accepted.
    • Credit card statements have no affect on this policy.
    • I am an employee.
    • Electrical goods must be returned in original packaging for refund - even if faulty.
      Earrings not returnable at all for hygiene reasons.
      Underwear only returnable if still has original shop tags/tickets attached.
  • ^!£$&
    ^!£$& Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Adams Kids

Full refund by payment method if you have receipt within 28 days
    After 28days can exchange but not return!
    Without receipt can exchange at current selling price or get store vouchers!
  • intgom
    intgom Posts: 9 Forumite
    Wow, this thread is very timely. I've just sent an email to CarpetRight Customer Services asking for refund due to mis-selling and the fact that their prices turned out to be more than double that of the competition. Latter issue was my fault for not shopping around but first issue is becoming a matter of contention with them.

Anyway, to use Martin's suggested template...
    • Store/Chain Name: CarpetRight
    • Can you return goods without a problem? Ie you bought it and changed your mind... absolutely not - CarpetRight are renowned for refusing to refund anything, even before they have done/delivered anything.
    • Does it offer a full refund or credit note? Neither
    • Did you need to have your receipt/a copy of the credit-card statement? Not applicable as they don't do refunds.
    • Is there any time limit? Is it seasonal? N/A
    • Are you a customer or employee/former employee? Customer, though I wish I wasn't!
    • Anything else people should know... CarpetRight charge more than double the usual price for their Balterio Laminate flooring.
  • Lakeland Limited. Their guarantee is that if you are not satisfied at any time (6 months approval), you get your money back. I have taken an item back to them which it didn't think did what it says it was going to do, without a receipt and some months after I bought it and they gave me my money back without comment. Also on a mail order I wasn't happy with something and they gave me a refund and told me to keep the goods. I think they are the best company ever I have dealt with for this kind of thing and as such it has made me favour them over their competitors when deciding who to buy from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure