The Great ‘Blagging hints and tips’ Hunt

With a bit of creative thinking, it’s possible to tap companies for anything and everything, from complimentary concert tickets to cash for a holiday.

To blag (in this context) is defined as
  • slang:
    To scrounge something; to get it for nothing.
    • Example: blagged his way into the club
As an example, one MoneySaving blagger asked a paragliding firm to cough up for equipment' as a group of adventure sporters were taking a paragliding trip through India; so they wrote in said they were on a paragliding expedition and were given free equipment.

After all an expedition is a "an excursion, journey, or voyage made for some specific purpose;" there was no lie; and no argument it was for science or charity... the company were happy to pass the equipment across.

How far should a blag go?

Conning people and misleading info isn't part of blaggin; but persuading is fine. If you say you're going to run a party with lots of people and ask a drinks company for free booze as you think its the right clientelle to introduce to their drinks; this is a good blag; and there are no lies.

And just for inspiration... here's a picture of history's best blagger...
a-team-db.jpg

Please click reply to add your best legal blags.

Note: If you were one of the few people who, got the weekly email with the ski-ing example in it; sorry about that it was put in in error and was an inappropiate example
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Prolly loads of T-shirts, coasters, umbrellas and loads of other promo things from alcohol companies that they sent me for throwing a party. Got a box of Kettle Chips a few years back for saying I liked their products as well.

HTH
    MagicFreebies UK
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    NB. Some posts in this thread have been deleted. The original description of blagging was by a member of my team (they pre-write some of the smaller notes for me, then I come through and rewrite and tweak - it enables us to get the email out on time); who'd put the wrong example (a slightly dodgy and inappropriate one). As that confused the discussion I've deleted all to restart. :)

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • A few years ago I contacted Lush to enquire about one of their ingredients. I had a lengthy conversation with the lady and I blagged my way into being one of their human testers. I regularly get all kinds of products to test and report back on. It's saved me a fortune and I get to try all their new suff free :j

threadbanner.gif
  • If you find a product that you like, then write a letter of praise to the manufacturer. It's suprising what response you'll get. Most people write to complain, but for the cost of a postage stamp and a few minutes of your time writing a letter, free goods or vouchers are often received.
    :wave:
  • When you arrive at any hotel start by politely asking if a free room upgrade is available. Occasionally they'll shrug their shoulders and say no but more often than not they'll do something for you. Worked successfully for us on several occasions often getting a sea view for free and occasionally a suite or penthouse. Usually works better if you ask before they've started checking you in on the computer as the only person who can reverse stuff on computers will be on a coffee break for 2 hours.

threadbanner.gif
  • Greenfox wrote: »
    If you find a product that you like, then write a letter of praise to the manufacturer. It's suprising what response you'll get. Most people write to complain, but for the cost of a postage stamp and a few minutes of your time writing a letter, free goods or vouchers are often received.

This maybe great, but please don't ever ring up to compliment on a supermarkets own brand product. As the supermarkets charge their supplier as if it's a complaint, as the companies that gather the complaint stats can't distinguish between a complaint and a compliment! Which is scandalous so it's better not to do anything even if you do love the product.
  • Great post, I don't know whether I'm brave enough, although I did email Warbutons and ask for some vouchers before my son's birthday, they sent me five vouchers for 50p off a toastie loaf. The best bread IMHO but not very money saving at over £1 a loaf.

Bit confused though, why is Face (Dirk Benedict) a blagger? I'm trying to remember the A-Team but can't quite put my finger on it.

Thanks
    :A :

Siren

Keep Smiling:D

Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An’ it harm none, Do what ye will.

• Face man was the biggest blagger on tv, what ever the A-team needed face blagged it.

I loved the A-team. Check it out on UK Gold :D
  • cool thanks, I thought it must have been something like that. I used to watch on Saturday mornings, must catch up and relive my lost youth. Thanks Freebee.
    :A :

Siren

Keep Smiling:D

Eight words ye Wiccan Rede fulfill - An’ it harm none, Do what ye will.

• Mosh
    Mosh Posts: 149
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Never ask for anything too huge (although it never hurts...) if you're just after a feebie for the sake of it. I just came back from a 1000-mile charity walk and managed to get freebies from a couple of companies who - by policy - don't help charities other than those they select at the start of the year.

Be polite, don't expect anything and ask for something specific. The Elestoplast people gave me a nice package with suncream, lip salve, plasters (I needed them!) and so on. DFDS knocked 20% off my ferry fare for the one part I couldn't walk. Dymocks (Australia's answer to Waterstones) gave me a free European road atlas. Kudos in Cardiff gave me a brand new rucksack at cost price, and some other equipment in for free.

Also, be persistent. DFDS ignored my first email and letter so I rang them up!

P.S. If you liked this post, please consider going to https://www.bdcf.org and dropping them a quid. They're the nice people I was raising money for on my walk!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure