🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How to obtain credit reports

Options

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    betyboop wrote:
    Can you please help i have a months free trial with experian after receing the report i want to cancel it. i don't know how to
    See condition 7(c) at https://www.creditexpert.co.uk/UK/StaticContent.aspx?PageTypeID=TermConditionPopUp&includeHeaderFooter=no
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,100 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hving been turned down for a stoozing card I requested my Experian credit report.

The report shows that some companies have two entries in either or both of the 'Credit Account Information' and 'Searches' sections for a single product. Is there a reason for these double searches and could they affect my 'score' if it looks at number of searches?

It also shows 5 searches from a couple of car insurance companies where I ran through different quotes when looking to buy a new car - could these 'searches' affect my 'score'?

Finally does anyone know what a sensible number of 'credit agreements' and 'searches' is. Do 'settled' accounts have any impact?
    I think....
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    michaels wrote:
    Hving been turned down for a stoozing card I requested my Experian credit report.
    For the sake of another £2, its always best to get one from Equifax as well, as they are very often different.
    michaels wrote:
    The report shows that some companies have two entries in either or both of the 'Credit Account Information' and 'Searches' sections for a single product. Is there a reason for these double searches and could they affect my 'score' if it looks at number of searches?
    If you mean your credit card is listed twice, then in my (limited) experience, it would be highly unusual to have 2 lots of credit account info for one product as surely both would contain identical figures for limit, balance, payment history, etc?

It's not unusual for double searches, particularly if you've asked for a credit limit increase on a product. Also, be aware that some searches are listed as "unrecorded enquiries". This means that other lenders cannot see these particular searches on your file. They are only visible to yourself (and the CRA).
    michaels wrote:
    It also shows 5 searches from a couple of car insurance companies where I ran through different quotes when looking to buy a new car - could these 'searches' affect my 'score'?
    Again, could these be marked as "unrecorded enquiries"? Lenders are not allowed to search your file without your permission. This permission can usually only be given by the signing of a credit agreement, or nowadays by the ticking of an "I agree" box on an online application form.
    michaels wrote:
    Finally does anyone know what a sensible number of 'credit agreements' and 'searches' is. Do 'settled' accounts have any impact?
    As regards the number of recorded searches, there is probably no set figure as the lenders all have their own lending criteria. Settled accounts look good, especially if they are preceeded by lots of 'o's, ie all payments made on time, and indicate to potential new lenders that this particular line of "available" credit is no longer open to you.

Can I ask a question in return? When you received your Experian report, did you also get an explanatory booklet as I did. I ask because the answers to most of your questions are covered in this booklet. If you didn't get one I think you can read it online at https://www.experian.co.uk.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,100 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply - yes I did read the booklet first.

The only one that seems strange odd is 2 mbna searches 6 days apart when I got my virgin card (no credit limit increase requested).

Reason for requesting Experian is that was the one quoted on rejection. Do you know if it is possible to appeal rejections?
    I think....
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    michaels wrote:
    The only one that seems strange odd is 2 mbna searches 6 days apart when I got my virgin card (no credit limit increase requested).
    Can't explain this if they're both "recorded". Maybe someone manually searched after an automated rejection?
    michaels wrote:
    Do you know if it is possible to appeal rejections?
    I have! ;)
  • Niteflyer
    Niteflyer Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote:
    Thanks for your reply - yes I did read the booklet first.

Reason for requesting Experian is that was the one quoted on rejection. Do you know if it is possible to appeal rejections?

Yes you can appeal rejections, I was rejected by Natwest last week, I appealled and they told me to write a letter and enclose 3 bank statements and a printed copy of my online credit report and they would re-assess my application, this time by a human rather thant the automated assessment.

I'm still waiting to hear :)

;)
    "I Assume I Need No Introduction"
  • StevenP_2
    Options
    From : https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/completeOrder.ehtml

Please enter payment information below if you would like to continue your service after your free membership. If you enter payment information, your credit card will be pre-authorized for £1.00 for verification purposes.

Now , if i was being picky , i`d say that the wording of that suggests i should be able to press submit without filling in any details..

also , i went to section 7 as YB suggested and i cant see HOW to cancel it ? email them ? phone them ?
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    StevenP wrote:
    also , i went to section 7 as YB suggested and i cant see HOW to cancel it ? email them ? phone them ?
    Section 7c says...

"7(c) In relation to the credit report monitoring services only, depending on when you cancel the Services and this Agreement you may be entitled to receive a refund of all or part of the Fee. Your cancellation must be communicated by contacting our Customer Service department by telephone (see Contact Details)."

If you click the "contact details" link it takes you to...

"Customer Service Freephone: 0800 656 9000"
  • Shornuk
    Options
    I have just ordered my £2 paper report from Equifax and i was looking to do the same with experian. I couldnt see a way at all to get just the paper report so i signed for the 30 days free trial (including report) and they are now asking me to send

Two forms of original documentation (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, tenancy agreement, solicitor's letter) dated within the past three months.

Plus a copy of either your passport, driving licence or birth certificate.
    to
    CreditExpert
    PO BOX 7710
    Nottingham
    NG80 7WE

Is this right and should I send it off?
  • StevenP_2
    Options
    Shornuk wrote:
    I have just ordered my £2 paper report from Equifax and i was looking to do the same with experian. I couldnt see a way at all to get just the paper report so i signed for the 30 days free trial (including report) and they are now asking me to send

Two forms of original documentation (e.g. utility bill, bank statement, tenancy agreement, solicitor's letter) dated within the past three months.

Plus a copy of either your passport, driving licence or birth certificate.
    to
    CreditExpert
    PO BOX 7710
    Nottingham
    NG80 7WE

Is this right and should I send it off?

Morning mate

Yep , send it off , i have before to them , they are pretty prompt , just remember to cancel by phone as YB says , before 30 days is up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport