MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Paris split her winnings with Nicole?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Paris split her winnings with Nicole?
Having left her wallet at the office on Friday night, Paris asked neighbour Nicole to lend her £20 to tide her over the weekend, with full intentions to pay back on Monday evening. After picking up food from her local supermarket’s clearance aisle, Paris found herself with £1 change and decided to take a chance on the lottery. She matched 5 balls, netting just under £50,000. Nicole’s now mooting that some of the winnings are rightfully hers, as Paris wouldn’t have been able to purchase the ticket without her generosity.
Should Paris split her winnings with Nicole? Click reply to have your say

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,424
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Nope - it's just the luck of the draw isn't it? It's different if you're going to the bingo, or in a syndicate, where you have an agreement beforehand.
    It was a spur of the moment buy, and if it were me, Nicole could take a running jump.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Paris won the money and she should do what shes sees fit with it (i.e. keep the lot!)

If Paris had bought a sandwich with the money Nicole lent her would she expect half of that?

But if it was me, I'd give my friend a cut. Not half but a decent wedge.
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622
    First Post
    Forumite
    No, I don't think she has a claim on the money. She would never have won herself and she lent out the money in good faith.

If she hadn't asked, I would have given her a cut of the winnings. But if she told me she was owed a cut, I'd not give it her.

Well I would, but I'd resent it, and it would damage the friendship. But I doubt I would end up in that situ as I would have given her some of the money straight off.

Interesting dilemna!
  • Yes, I think she should. As Nicole points out, Paris could not possibly have won without her money, but as the Lottery ticket only cost 1/20th of the money lent, then Paris should give Nicole 1/20th of the winnings, and say that it was 19/20ths her luck for a) having £1 spare, and b) for picking the right numbers.
  • no way, it's paris' money and all hers!
    if i got a loan out from a bank for £5000 for a car, bought it for £4999 and bought a ticket with the spare pound and won 50k, i wouldn't feel i owed anything to the bank!
  • john01727
    john01727 Posts: 21 Forumite
    No way. What happens if you win nothing, do you give back a bit less.
  • Middlestitch
    Middlestitch Posts: 1,486
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If the ticket hadn't won, would Nicole have refunded the £1 to Paris? Of course not - take her out for a really good meal, but that money belongs to Paris!
  • Iffy_Wallet
    Iffy_Wallet Posts: 266 Forumite
    I think that Paris should keep quiet about her win for a week or two, and then research the 'winning numbers' for a later date. Then if she really wants to tell her neighbour about it, she can do. And she can say, "Nicole, you are a really good friend. I even remember you lending me 20 pounds a few weeks back when I was hard up. And this weekend, I was lucky enough to win a little money. So I'd like to give you 500/1000/whatever? to help you share in my excitement". That way, she doesn't feel any pressure to hand over money, except on the terms that she feels happy with. And if she doesn't want her to know at all, then that's also ok.

But telling Nicole that a pound from her borrowed money, paid for the winning ticket, only muddies the water and causes confusion. Don't do it.
    [ Eat, Drink and be Merry - for tomorrow we get the bill ]
  • I personally think that Paris should give Nicole a share of her winnings just as a thank you and for being a good freind. (aaawww!!!!) :o)
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Paris doesn't "owe" Nicole anything. She borrowed the money in general, e.g. they weren't out gambling and Paris had to get Nicole to buy her into a game.

It might be a nice gesture for Paris to give Nicole something, 1/20th of the winnings wouldn't be a bad interest on the £20 loan actually! But there's no way she has an obligation here.

Having read the other replies though, I also agree with Iffywallet. Perhaps it was a little crass to mention that the loan was used to purchase a ticket in the first place. Still doesn't create an obligation though.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport