PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing mushrooms

Options
This might seem a bit of a dumb question, but can I freeze fresh mushrooms? I bought some on Wednesday when I did my shopping but probably won't get around to using them as quick as I'd hoped. Don't want them to go to waste so will freezing them work? I mean they won't go all brown on me or something?

Thanks!

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes tey freeze well, just slice them, chuck them in a freezer bag and add straight into the dish you are cooking.

You can only use them for cooking with afterwards, they can't be used like fresh ones but as long as you don't defrost them first they come out just as good.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Would it be better to peel or clean (whatever you would normally do) them first, as when they come out of the freezer they won't be very easy to handle?

Just a thought ;) .
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I just chop them up and put them in a bag, I don't do anything like wash or peel them because I'm too lazy. When you need some bash the bag if they're all frozen together and add straight to your food.
  • moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless mushrooms have been left a little long they shouldn't be peeled anyway, just wipe them over with a piece of kitchen towel to remove any stray compost.

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A bit o' muck never hurt no one :D

I never wash or peel mushrooms and if any have a bit of compost stuck to them I just wipe it off with a bit of kitchen roll (or my finger LOL!)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey you are brave. I don't fancy that. For one thing you don't know who's picked them! :eek:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Err, do you lot realise what mushrooms are grown in?? :eek: I'm always careful to make sure any I use are really well cleaned. Wouldn't eat em otherwise :D
  • silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I wish I'd have thought of this one, at my local Asda they were selling mushy's off for 30p down from 60 odd as their dte was nearly out, and they were fine too, tut. I didnt think they would freeze cos of the high water content or sumat, oooorrrrrr.

Thanks for the info, I'll remember it always now
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess I'm immune to most nasties having been brought up on farms where hand washing facilities don't exist in the middle of fields, so you either starve or eat your butties with dirty hands ;)

Mushrooms are usually grown in well-rotted horse manure, which is fairly harmless being as they're vegetarian creatures, and I've certainly had plenty of that on my hands in my time :rotfl: ... and eaten without washing hands! :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most commercially grown mushrooms are grown in a sterile compost nowadays so they don't get any cross contamination with other varieties so there isn't going to be a lot you can catch from them anyway.

Washed mushrooms are far more likely to go soggy or mushy - don't wash, wipe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family