Spend your Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
edited 22 October 2010 at 10:51AM in Student MoneySaving
Urgent! From 6 Dec 2010 the Tesco Clubcard Rewards exchange rate drops from 4x to 3x, ie, a £10 Tesco voucher will become £30 if rewards. Full update in the Loyalty Points guide.

What's the deal?

From 16 Feb Tesco you’ll be able to spend you Tesco Clubcard vouchers on Open University courses. The vouchers can be used on all levels of undergraduate courses.

Like all other offers in the Tesco Deals brochure, Clubcard points are worth 4X more when you spend them on the Open University rather than in-store. So a beginners’ French course which normally costs £410 would only be £102.50 in Tesco Clubcard vouchers – c'est magnifique!

How it works

Once your Clubcard vouchers arrive through the post, exchange them for Open University Deals Vouchers online.

You can then use your Deals vouchers to pay either in part or in full for a course, alongside any funding you’re entitled to. Read more about Open Uni Financial Support

Related articles

Loyalty Schemes. Tricks to improve your stash of Nectar, Airmiles, Tesco & others

Student MoneySaving: Funding, borrowing and living as a student

Student Loans: How to use them the MoneySaving way

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Shamish
    Shamish Posts: 330 Forumite
    Thanks sounds great will give it a try
  • It is worth noting that these can only be used for undergraduate courses and not postgraduate courses.
  • This is brilliant news for OU students, especially if they are Tesco shoppers!!!

As the courses are getting dearer all the time, it will save us a fortune in course fees.

We have already started spreading the word through the OU student community.

For those living in rural and remote parts of Britain it is one Tesco offer that we will be able to access!!
  • Having recently completed studying with the OU, i have looked into further study. On discovering tesco vouchers can be used for ou study, my parents offered to donate a high value of their tesco clubcard vouchers towards my next course. However, there is a catch. Currently, the person named on the clubcard voucher, is the person who must undertake the study. We have contacted Tesco querying this and explaining our situation.
  • TeaBoy_2
    TeaBoy_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    welshy1 wrote:
    Having recently completed studying with the OU, i have looked into further study. On discovering tesco vouchers can be used for ou study, my parents offered to donate a high value of their tesco clubcard vouchers towards my next course. However, there is a catch. Currently, the person named on the clubcard voucher, is the person who must undertake the study. We have contacted Tesco querying this and explaining our situation.

i'd be interested in the reply welshy. i'm in a similar situation.
    What's it going to be, eh?
  • welshy1 wrote:
    Having recently completed studying with the OU, i have looked into further study. On discovering tesco vouchers can be used for ou study, my parents offered to donate a high value of their tesco clubcard vouchers towards my next course. However, there is a catch. Currently, the person named on the clubcard voucher, is the person who must undertake the study. We have contacted Tesco querying this and explaining our situation.

I've got an idea although it will only apply to future purchases: give your parents one of your keyfob cards and their points will accrue to your account. (Checks Tesco website...
    ...they say you are only allowed to give a keyfob to someone in your own household. Clearly this is not anything anyone should try.)
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    But can you use them to pay off the Ousba account???????
  • welshy1 wrote:

Interestingly, an article in the latest Open House (OU Staff magazine) implies that points can be gifted and pooled. This seems to flatly contradict the Tesco website which says 'Tesco Clubcard Points and Vouchers cannot be transferred, sold or in any way traded. They may only be pooled by members with the same postal address.'

I am seeking clarification.
  • Sorry to keep posting but I keep on finding out snippets of info. I summarise (as I've been slapped on the wrist for quoting from internal websites)

Deal tokens must have the student's name on them, they cannot be used to reduce OUSBA debt (apologies to Charlotte664), they are valid for 6 months from date of issue and other companies tokens will not be accepted, but 'general' deals tokens will.
  • RufusFrog, you seem to have inside knowledge. Would you happen to know why the deal vouchers are not accepted on post-graduate courses?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure