PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what to do with smoked mackerel

Options
i got home from shopping today to realise that my 2 year old have managed to put 2 packs of smoked mackerel in my shopping trolley! goodness knows how i didnt see it!!
now i wouldnt have bought it but i dont mind it,what can i do with it other than eat it with bread & butter?

thanks
vix & a 2 year old with strange tastes!!
- prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150

Comments

• ziggy2004
    Options
    my 2 year old had some smoked mackerel on oatcakes as a snack this afternoon he thinks it is yummie :D

I make mackerel pancakes : wholemeal pancakes filled with a mixture of cheese, cream and smoked mackerel served with brocoli very yummie if you like mackerel ( and at least it is in season atm so likely to be fresh rather then frozen from last year)

X Anne
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    that sounds nice, do you do it inna cheese sauce?
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • ziggy2004
    Options
    nope just grated cheese and a tiny bit of cream just enough to make it nice and sticky with the mackerel you can also grate cheese over the rolled up pancakes and put ot in the oven for a bit

It was something that i saw in my wholefood cookbook but the original recipe calles for smoked haddock as the mackerel is a lot cheaper I used that.

X Anne
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Mash a pack with a tub of Philidalphia (or cream cheese) and a good squeeze of lemon to make a REALLY nice pate.

Toast a slice of bread then cut the crusts off and run your breadknife through the thickness of the bread then pop the untoasted sides under the grill until they toast and curl.

Butter the Melba Toast (cos that's what you just made :D ) and dollop some mackerel pate on...

Invite me!!! :j
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    I zap it in the micro for about 2mins. If you wrap it in kitchen paper first it absorbs the excess oil, though this is good for you. I then serve it with veg.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    OOps sorry. Don't know how I duplicated this post.
  • coffeeandfags
    Options
    How about fishcakes made with cheesy potatoes and the smoked mackrel

OR
    Cullen Skink (a Scottish soup)

Shove the mackrel in a pan of milk to poach, just long enough to remove the skin, then use the milk as your stock along with potatoes, a bit of onion, a bit of butter and the fish. The soup should be quite thick, so a lot of potatoes!...sorry i dont do exact quantities....just bung it in lol
    I know it sounds yuck, but its really nice!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chowder. It's great in one.

Just google for chowder recipes and substitute your mackerel into any sea food one.

And if you have a slow cooker - better still.

Seriously yummy. :)

Edit: One of the early results for chowder + recipe came up as this one, and it looks good:-

http://www2.skegnesstoday.co.uk/sites/cyberfood/fish2.html
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    Smoked Mackerel makes a fabulous paté - I mean really good!!!!

2 smoked mackerel, skinned and boned
    275g Ricotta Cheese
    juice of half a lemon, or more
    grated nutmeg
    black pepper and salt
    pinch of cayenne
    2 lemons cut into wedges

Method
    1. Liquidise all the ingredients. Season to taste with pepper, nutmeg and salt.
    2. Put into individual dishes or one large one. Cover with clingfilm and chill for two hours
    3. Sprinkle with a little cayenne and serve with lemon wedges.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    Options
    Pretend kedgeree?

Chop it up and mix with boiled rice, quartered hard-boiled eggs, parsley and lemon juice. Other things can be added according to taste - ears of sweetcorn, chopped peppers.

Serve hot, of course.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport