Maxtor Shared Storage 300Gb NAS (Network HDD) - £89.91

Options
Got one of these from my local staples.

Damn good price as it's UPNP and it is easily turned into the current model (Shared Storage Plus) with a simple Firmware update (takes 3 mins).

The latest management software has built-in backup S/W too.

Oh yes, and if you want to you can use the OpenMSS firmware and run a web server on it among lots of other things.

They also had the 200gb version for £69.91.

Comments

• stolt
    stolt Posts: 2,865 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a 200gb a week ago. good little hard drive, we use it wirelessy to back up all my info from my laptop. very good price aswell considering it was bought on the highstreet.
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
  • behibehi
    behibehi Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Whirly, is your Staples Maxtor drive the Plus version? I have just read that Maxtor is actually offering two product families with the 300GB Shared Storage version. The Shared Storage Plus is physically identical to the Shared Storage version. The only difference between the two is the software bundle as the Plus model comes with Maxtor’s SimpleView backup utility and its MediaRetriever which is aimed at networked home entertainment systems for playing back digital video, music and pictures.

Thanks.
    :p happy-hoor :p
  • scope
    scope Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is a very good price for a NAS drive.
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    behibehi wrote:
    Whirly, is your Staples Maxtor drive the Plus version? I have just read that Maxtor is actually offering two product families with the 300GB Shared Storage version. The Shared Storage Plus is physically identical to the Shared Storage version. The only difference between the two is the software bundle as the Plus model comes with Maxtor’s SimpleView backup utility and its MediaRetriever which is aimed at networked home entertainment systems for playing back digital video, music and pictures.

Thanks.

It's not the plus version but a simple firmware upgrade makes it the plus version. The latest utility software is also available to download from the maxtor website which includes the backup utility. As for mediaretriever I'm afraid I haven't had time to look too closely at the software available yet.

I simply installed the drive with the cd supplied (installed the old version of the quickstart utility) then downloaded the new firmware (v2.6.2) and the updated utility software (Maxtor Quickstart Utility) from the Maxtor website. I logged on to the NAS drive and upgraded the firmware (VERY simple) and then installed the new quickstart (which upgraded the old version I'd already installed).

Et voila! 300gb Maxtor Shared Storage Plus for £90.
  • kustard
    kustard Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Do all staples have these in Stock, is it best to ring and ask, or will they most likely not have a clue what i`m on about? regarding functionality, I presume I can access the HD off my XBox without having to have my PC turrned on as long as it's set up on the network then?
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    As it is clearance I doubt all Staples have these - it's pot luck if your local has it.

As for the Xbox, I assume you mean XBMC and a quick google gives you this page:

http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=NAS_(Network_Attached_Storage)

Somebody asked for the code on the receipt so it might be useful for those of you calling around.

The code on my receipt is: 5390404002522

Description reads: "*300GB SHARED STORAGE DR"
  • roadster1
    roadster1 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    300 gb out of stock at Leicester but they had the smaller 200gb version still.

I wanted the 300gb one:angry::angry:
  • tomt
    tomt Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a great deal - while you're there sign up for a Staples Business loyalty card (put company name down as your name as if you were s a sole trader - NOT a business account btw) - I did one for our family business, and about 3 weeks later I got a £10 voucher card with no expiry! That'll go on a 300GB model now :D
  • mrnomoneybags
    Options
    Out of stock of both in my local (12 miles away) stores :(:(:(
  • kustard
    kustard Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    My local only has the 200gb one - but that still seems a good bargin at 70 quid? Will I be able to upgrade to the 'plus' features via online updating as with the 300gb version mentioned above?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure